Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: network adapter gone!? brain teasingly horrible!

13 May 2010   #21
paperboy

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
...there were no win7 drivers for my motherboard on the manufacturer's site, and i could not figure out if the vista drivers i had to resort to using were the problem, or if it was a dead NIC... i would say that's lack of support for win7, which is a problem if you have win7, don't you think?
Quote:
It's a lack of support from the manufacturer of your mobo, and not MS... dont cha think???

MS cannot be expected to provide drivers for everything... some of that responsibility has to on the manufacturers. Either your mobo is old or its manufacturer is sub par.
you're missing the point. if someone has a 'sub par' or 'old' mobo they're just sol with 7. catch my drift? there's no fault, it's just a fact that there's a lack of backing from either. if an os came out tomorrow, who would you blame for driver issues? the manufacturer or the os? and when would you switch blame from one to the other? after 4 months? a year? the arbitrary nature of the answers should tell you how silly it is to blame either one. i don't blame ms for there being no drivers, i'm just stating a fact, and that it sucks. if you had to compare, wouldn't functionality be a good test? there's more support for xp than 7, simple. maybe when 7 is fine tuned and a bit more mainstream with compatibility i'll give it another shot.

your advocacy for 7 is making you look kinda arrogant. the problem was a dead NIC, i had problems finding support to make sure it wasn't hardware, threw on a more stable and supported os, got my answer, and you're telling me xp is inferior... after i explained myself... and found out exactly what i needed to know with it... and gave you reasons why 7 is still shitty for some people... and have asked you questions to move the conversation along which you're not answering... since it seems you can't understand where i'm coming from, let's just move on with life.

Quote:
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
i'll probably throw 64 bit xp on here when i find the disc actually. yes it's old but still extremely functional, with more support than 7.
OLD=SLOW... take it from an old man! LMAO!

Dude, XP was released in 2001 and 9 years in the computing industry is eons! I bet your car is newer than that!
that's the capitalist attitude lol and i would agree with you if it was true, but software wise it not always is, and ms products are a perfect example. there have been steps backwards lol

again we can ask when is xp considered old? arbitrary answers again. if it's reasonable to say it is when it's outperformed and outfunctioned, please tell me a program i can't run that you can. if you can't back up your claim, it's just an opinion, which i could care less about. see if you can run sygate firewall pro on boot and everything, i can

ask yourself, does the speed of command execution depend on the command? or when the command was written? or does it depend on the resources available?

besides 7 saps video memory like a fat leech just to run the os lol so when you buy a 512mb video card, you're paying full price when a significant fraction won't even be used for what you're trying to do. and that money you're essentially spending on aesthetics leads to bugs. no thanks. btw xp SP3 was in 2008, and it's way more stable than 7, and just as functional... you know this otherwise you'd have answered my questions by now. if you just admitted that 7 does have more support and compatibility issues than xp,we wouldn't waste our time on such a moot topic. so don't be stubborn :P i'm living proof of a person unhappy with the current build of 7 for logical reasons that you fail to recognize. let's get over it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 May 2010   #22
johngalt

 

XP was old well before SP2 came out - which was, what, 3 years after it was released?

paperboy, you make some very good points - some of which I have made in the past, some of which I disagreed with you (then) in that I laid the blame squarely on the feet of the hardware OEMs. My opinion was that it is *their* responsibility to write the drivers, and they have plenty of advance warning, what with Beta builds and leaks and whatnot - if they choose to, yeah, it sucks, but it also makes me leery of buying their products again. If I had a 6 year old scanner it would be one thing - but if I bought a scanner that was manufactured within 6 months of my purchase, and an OS comes out in another 6 months (meaning it has been in tested when said scanner was manufactured) and yet the Hardware OEM decides not to make new drivers for the new OS - I have a right to be pissed, and furthermore, I lay the blame directly at their feet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2010   #23
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
you're missing the point. if someone has a 'sub par' or 'old' mobo they're just sol with 7. catch my drift? there's no fault, it's just a fact that there's a lack of backing from either. if an os came out tomorrow, who would you blame for driver issues? the manufacturer or the os? and when would you switch blame from one to the other? after 4 months? a year? the arbitrary nature of the answers should tell you how silly it is to blame either one. i don't blame ms for there being no drivers, i'm just stating a fact, and that it sucks. if you had to compare, wouldn't functionality be a good test? there's more support for xp than 7, simple. maybe when 7 is fine tuned and a bit more mainstream with compatibility i'll give it another shot.

your advocacy for 7 is making you look kinda arrogant. the problem was a dead NIC, i had problems finding support to make sure it wasn't hardware, threw on a more stable and supported os, got my answer, and you're telling me xp is inferior... after i explained myself... and found out exactly what i needed to know with it... and gave you reasons why 7 is still shitty for some people... and have asked you questions to move the conversation along which you're not answering... since it seems you can't understand where i'm coming from, let's just move on with life.
DUDE:

You seem to confuse fact with opinion frequently my friend. You want to put down the best OS MS has released since Win95, and you do so on a site devoted to Win7.... ??? <-- NOT SMART! Of course you are going to receive a hard time! You keep stating that XP is more stable... just because your old NIC/mobo doesnt work with win7... and does with xp, doesnt make xp more stable!

Were you around for any other OS releases by MS? People went through the same things when they moved from Win98 to XP... IT IS NORMAL! I have been in this business since the DOS 5.0/Windows 2.0 days and HW companies dont support everything when a new OS is released

No software company releases an OS overnight...HW manufacturers had over 2 years warning that Win7 was coming... obvously yours chose not to support Win7. Why? Probably because they dont feel its worth the expense.

You keep proving your lack of knowledge with statements such as:
Quote:
There is more support for XP.

Support for XP is, or will be, over for everyone later this year. To pose your question in another way...

If XP is such a great OS try and go buy a late release CPU/mobo and see if you get XP driver support.

When you find the issue is a bad NIC, how can you blame either OS? You had a HW issue that you keep insisting is somehow mysteriously connected to the OS Here:
Quote:
...there were no win7 drivers for my motherboard on the manufacturer's site, and i could not figure out if the vista drivers i had to resort to using were the problem, or if it was a dead NIC... i would say that's lack of support for win7, which is a problem if you have win7, don't you think?
Only when you reinstalled XP did you finally believe the issue was a dead NIC.

How can YOU being unable to find drivers or figure out something be the OS's fault? I SAY NO, NOT A PROBLEM. The problem is your old and/or sub par mobo manufacturer and their lack of support... dont blame Win7!

You say XP being old is arbitrary... HOW SO???
Have you ever heard of Moore's Law???
In an industry that sees CPUs double in the # of transistors and processing power every 18-24 months, wouldnt you agree that 9 years old is OLD?

Also, if your OS is 9 years old... for crying out loud how old is your PC?

Goodbye!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 May 2010   #24
paperboy

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
you're missing the point. if someone has a 'sub par' or 'old' mobo they're just sol with 7. catch my drift? there's no fault, it's just a fact that there's a lack of backing from either. if an os came out tomorrow, who would you blame for driver issues? the manufacturer or the os? and when would you switch blame from one to the other? after 4 months? a year? the arbitrary nature of the answers should tell you how silly it is to blame either one. i don't blame ms for there being no drivers, i'm just stating a fact, and that it sucks. if you had to compare, wouldn't functionality be a good test? there's more support for xp than 7, simple. maybe when 7 is fine tuned and a bit more mainstream with compatibility i'll give it another shot.

your advocacy for 7 is making you look kinda arrogant. the problem was a dead NIC, i had problems finding support to make sure it wasn't hardware, threw on a more stable and supported os, got my answer, and you're telling me xp is inferior... after i explained myself... and found out exactly what i needed to know with it... and gave you reasons why 7 is still shitty for some people... and have asked you questions to move the conversation along which you're not answering... since it seems you can't understand where i'm coming from, let's just move on with life.
DUDE:

You seem to confuse fact with opinion frequently my friend. You want to put down the best OS MS has released since Win95, and you do so on a site devoted to Win7.... ??? <-- NOT SMART!
nope must of said it at least twice now. not blaming ms or the hardware co. i have my opinion of 7, you have yours.
Quote:
Of course you are going to receive a hard time! You keep stating that XP is more stable... just because your old NIC/mobo doesnt work with win7... and does with xp, doesnt make xp more stable!
alright again a claim with no backing. let's go by your definition of stability then since you're ignoring mine
Quote:
Were you around for any other OS releases by MS? People went through the same things when they moved from Win98 to XP... IT IS NORMAL! I have been in this business since the DOS 5.0/Windows 2.0 days and HW companies dont support everything when a new OS is released
i agree. it is very normal. i am not saying progress should halt on 7 lol just sayin the current state doesn't convince me personally.
Quote:
No software company releases an OS overnight...HW manufacturers had over 2 years warning that Win7 was coming... obvously yours chose not to support Win7. Why? Probably because they dont feel its worth the expense.
again i am aware of this. i'm sure they have their reasons. whether it was 7 that didn't support it, or the hw, is not the point. the fact remains that it simply is NOT supported in 7, period.
Quote:
You keep proving your lack of knowledge with statements such as:
Quote:
There is more support for XP.

Support for XP is, or will be, over for everyone later this year. To pose your question in another way...
then maybe later this year i'll switch back to 7. but right now, the second you read this, you wouldn't agree that xp is a bit more functional? even if 7 is catching up with great speed, which do you think has less bugs and is more compatible with ANYTHING right this second?
Quote:
If XP is such a great OS try and go buy a late release CPU/mobo and see if you get XP driver support.
alright let's give the task to both of us, you find the mobo, and i'll find the drivers.

Quote:
When you find the issue is a bad NIC, how can you blame either OS?
holy crap again i'm blaming the os? flaming ms? please quote me.
Quote:
You had a HW issue that you keep insisting is somehow mysteriously connected to the OS Here:
Quote:
...there were no win7 drivers for my motherboard on the manufacturer's site, and i could not figure out if the vista drivers i had to resort to using were the problem, or if it was a dead NIC... i would say that's lack of support for win7, which is a problem if you have win7, don't you think?
Only when you reinstalled XP did you finally believe the issue was a dead NIC.
i could have just as easily reinstalled 7 and come to the same conclusion, but see if i had xp, and the problem arose, i could just reinstall the drivers instead of the whole os, you see the difference?
Quote:
How can YOU being unable to find drivers or figure out something be the OS's fault?
again with fault...with my setup, and my situation, there was just a lot more hoops to jump with 7, mk? i explained above. the thing is i've had more hoops to jump through with 7 with MOST problems.
Quote:
I SAY NO, NOT A PROBLEM. The problem is your old and/or sub par mobo manufacturer and their lack of support... dont blame Win7!
hm i think there's an intimate relationship there. but what comes first? the hw? or the os? the hw is made to work with an os, and vice versa. pretty elegant balance we can blame both, or just one, or the other, whatever keeps you happy dear :P

Quote:
You say XP being old is arbitrary... HOW SO???
....it doesn't have to be xp, it can be 7, it can be your mother. when do we consider something old? you're ignoring my mention of a test we can agree on to see how xp stacks up against 7 functionally, so we can't get a nice answer. since there's no definite answer, and everything will rely on gray areas and opinion, it's arbitrary...
Quote:
Have you ever heard of Moore's Law???
In an industry that sees CPUs double in the # of transistors and processing power every 18-24 months, wouldnt you agree that 9 years old is OLD?
yes i've heard. now what is the point of saying this? 9 years old for hardware i would agree is outdated for an efficient run of probably a large number of tasks today that require a bit more umph. and if you put the same os on newer hardware, it will run faster, and be able to do those tasks :O ... if xp and 7 can do the same things, and the speed of command execution relies on the hardware, and we're talking about the os....what the heck is your point?
Quote:
Also, if your OS is 9 years old... for crying out loud how old is your PC?

Goodbye!
yes but of course it is simply IMPOSSIBLE to install xp on anything newer than itself! that makes total sense! that an os was made for nothing beyond the date it came out! GENIUS!

well sir i thank you for giving me the last word. i don't think you deserve a lengthy explanation as that hasn't done any good. but i do think you should get the sand out of your snatch, and get over this finger pointing bologna so that your ego doesn't ruin a constructive conversation into a pissing war ever again. my hopes aren't high.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 network adapter gone!? brain teasingly horrible!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Wifi adapter could not bind IP protocol stack to network adapter
Hello! I registered to forums to get help to solve wireless adapter issue I am having. I have been looking for help in Lenovo forums and AV provider: problem is still on. Background I changed AV software from Symantec to F-Secure. I uninstalled Symantec software and installed F-Secure...
Hardware & Devices
Problem with wireless network adapter or acces network
is there any solutions for this problem? it's really bugging me i already try to fix it by manage the device manager (network adapters)
Network & Sharing
AWUS036H adapter can't find specific network but inbuilt adapter can
Hello I have my AWUS036H for a few months now and it worked perfect until now. My landlord has a router in his appartment and I need to connect to that router to get access to the internet. I bought this adapter for a better signal but this week I got a very weird problem. My adapter can find...
Network & Sharing
Problems with wireless network adapter and network connection driver
Hi, So recently I have removed a nasty zeroaccess rootkit virus(es) from my laptop. My Windows Firewall, Defender and Updates would not work (still won't), my browser kept redirecting to unrelated websites, and I was just overall having a TON of irritating issues. I installed MalwareBytes and...
Network & Sharing
Horrible Seagate Goflex_Home Network Drive.
My experience with this 1TB network drive is about the worst in 25 years of assembling my own PCs. I bought the drive as a solution to back up three PCs on a home wireless network. The one drive would always be available for back up. The drive is bundled with Memeo back up software which...
Hardware & Devices
Network connection dies a horrible death
About once every two days, my connection to the internet dies, and won't come back without a System Restore. I've got two XP machines along with my Windows 7 machine on a D-Link router. About once every two days, my Windows 7 machine just decides that it won't connect to anything on the...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App