Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cannot connect to network

09 May 2010   #21
ZaLiTH

Win 10 x64 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 15.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mollydoggy1971 View Post
Password protected sharing is turned OFF. Although I have File and Printer sharing allowed in the firewall, I turned it off, and it made no difference.
That was pretty much my best guess... Sorry.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mollydoggy1971 View Post
Anyone have any ideas for me to try? I think some people are trying to make this more difficult than it needs to be. I've never had to do anything too involved to make my shared drives and printer accessible on the network. It's generally been pretty simple, which leads me to believe that I'm missing something basic.
In all honesty, I don't have much experience with networking between Linux and Windows though, so I'm really too sure what else to suggest.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 May 2010   #22
mollydoggy1971

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Anyone else with an idea?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2010   #23
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Post a link to this thread in the Ubuntu threads and one of the Ubuntu Gurus will give you a hand with the Ubuntu part.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 May 2010   #24
mollydoggy1971

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Post a link to this thread in the Ubuntu threads and one of the Ubuntu Gurus will give you a hand with the Ubuntu part.
The problem is not with my Ubuntu systems. They are working perfectly. This Windows machine is the one with which I'm having the issue. I can't figure out what I've not set correctly to allow my shared drives to be seen without a password (or WITH a password, for that matter).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2010   #25
ZaLiTH

Win 10 x64 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 15.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mollydoggy1971 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Post a link to this thread in the Ubuntu threads and one of the Ubuntu Gurus will give you a hand with the Ubuntu part.
The problem is not with my Ubuntu systems. They are working perfectly. This Windows machine is the one with which I'm having the issue. I can't figure out what I've not set correctly to allow my shared drives to be seen without a password (or WITH a password, for that matter).
I think WindowsStar was suggesting that because Linux users have quite often gone to Linux from originally using Windows, and so they seem to have more experience and knowledge with networking the two OSes than most.. And definitely more than people who only use Windows.

Well, that's my theory anyway..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2010   #26
acurasd

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

The thing I used to file share between windows 7 and ubuntu was: Samba

Samba - opening windows to a wider world

Maybe they can help you out here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2010   #27
Ch@n

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ZaLiTH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mollydoggy1971 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Post a link to this thread in the Ubuntu threads and one of the Ubuntu Gurus will give you a hand with the Ubuntu part.
The problem is not with my Ubuntu systems. They are working perfectly. This Windows machine is the one with which I'm having the issue. I can't figure out what I've not set correctly to allow my shared drives to be seen without a password (or WITH a password, for that matter).
I think WindowsStar was suggesting that because Linux users have quite often gone to Linux from originally using Windows, and so they seem to have more experience and knowledge with networking the two OSes than most.. And definitely more than people who only use Windows.

Well, that's my theory anyway..
I agree on u.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2010   #28
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mollydoggy1971 View Post
Okay, now I'm just confused. I'll answer first the question that I understand best. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and am trying to connect to the shared drives with an Ubuntu Linux (Lucid Lynx) system. When I had things running before, I had to enter no special commands at any time. It was all done through the GUI on the Windows machine.
In BOLD; is why I suggested to post about sharing (i.e. mapped drives) with Ubuntu in threads for the Ubuntu Gurus. How did I get that wrong?????
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2010   #29
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Asked a *IX Guru to help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2010   #30
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I created a share on my Windows 7 machine and said share with Everyone (read and write permissions).

From the Ubuntu 10.04 box, I went to Places, Connect to server, and put in Windows Share and the hostname of my Windows 7 box. It prompted me for my username and password...which I supplied for my network and it worked just fine and showed my shares.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cannot connect to network




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Marvell network interface won't connect to network.
Running ultimate x64. The motherboard I am using has two built-in NICs. The Marvell interface won't connect to the network. Sometimes it will get labeled 'unknown network' and get a 169.***.***.*** address. Sometimes it will actually get assigned an IP in the network but it can't reach the...
Network & Sharing
Cannot connect to any network
Hi all, I'm trying to fix an acer aspire 5552 for a friend as they can't connect to a network, I've brought the laptop home and it doesn't find my network either? I've tried Ethernet too and it just says not connected when you click connect to a network? No question marks in device manager, and...
Network & Sharing
still looses connect/doesn't connect - win 7 wireless home network
She keeps loosing connection, then has to wait until it decides it can connect again. She would wait about five minutes and then click on something and would gain access. https://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/324598-win-7-hp-computer-keeps-dropping-connect-won-t-reconnect.html the ...
Network & Sharing
Cannot connect to Network drive. (Enter network password)
My network contains: 10 PCs and laptops running (Windows7 & Windows8). 2 network printers 1 Network Drive (WD Mybook Live Duo) Workgroup environment Here everything is fine. But one of the windows 8 laptop cannot access network folder. It prompt username and password. whenever I am trying...
Network & Sharing
Win 7. Cannot connect to a network, no active network, but I'm online!
Hello, first post and hope that I might be able to get help here for a problem that is driving me crazy. Many thanks for taking the time to read below... I wish to connect to my Homegroup. Win 7 says that I cannot as my location must be set to "Home". So I follow the link "What is a network...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52.
Twitter Facebook Google+