Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: "Ethernet" Connection Drop

09 Oct 2009   #431
gmctavish

Windows 7 RC
 
 

Hi,

I wanted to add to the list of people having problems with windows 7 networking. I have an nVidia motherboard with a realtek onboard 10/100/1000 NIC. The connection appears fine when initially plugged in, however, if left idle for a period of time or if a large file transfer is initiated, the connection will die. If you look at the icon, it still appears to be 'connected' however, there is no packet traffic.

In response to this, I pulled a USB wifi stick from another Vista machine. The linksys stick was working fine, associated with the same router, on the vista machine. Installation went smoothly on the windows 7 machine, it identified the USB stick and auto-installed the drivers (I checked to make sure windows update didn't have anything more recent). However, the USB stick was showing similar issues in dropping connections. The only difference appears to be that sometimes, the connection icon shows a yellow exclamation mark, before turning to the 'no bars red x' icon.

I've disabled all power-saving associated with both the wired and wireless connections. I've turned off IPv6. I've tried both dynamic and static network settings. Nothing seems to impact the fact that copying a 100mb file over my network, from my windows home server to the windows 7 box, always kills the network connection. The seven other PCs in the house all complete the transfer without a hitch. The current windows 7 box could previously complete the transfer under vista...

I'll post log-files and more technical details before the end of the weekend... I just wanted to throw in my two cents.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Oct 2009   #432
Mirick

Windows 7 Business (x64) (build 7600)
 
 

Hahah, yeah, whatever floats your boat, man. When you people start listing up ALL THE YEARS OF EXPERIENCE I tend to turn my ears off until you say something relevant.

Plus, I think you misread what I said but no matter.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2009   #433
Snufffed

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gmctavish View Post
Hi,

I wanted to add to the list of people having problems with windows 7 networking. I have an nVidia motherboard with a realtek onboard 10/100/1000 NIC. The connection appears fine when initially plugged in, however, if left idle for a period of time or if a large file transfer is initiated, the connection will die. If you look at the icon, it still appears to be 'connected' however, there is no packet traffic.

In response to this, I pulled a USB wifi stick from another Vista machine. The linksys stick was working fine, associated with the same router, on the vista machine. Installation went smoothly on the windows 7 machine, it identified the USB stick and auto-installed the drivers (I checked to make sure windows update didn't have anything more recent). However, the USB stick was showing similar issues in dropping connections. The only difference appears to be that sometimes, the connection icon shows a yellow exclamation mark, before turning to the 'no bars red x' icon.

I've disabled all power-saving associated with both the wired and wireless connections. I've turned off IPv6. I've tried both dynamic and static network settings. Nothing seems to impact the fact that copying a 100mb file over my network, from my windows home server to the windows 7 box, always kills the network connection. The seven other PCs in the house all complete the transfer without a hitch. The current windows 7 box could previously complete the transfer under vista...

I'll post log-files and more technical details before the end of the weekend... I just wanted to throw in my two cents.
I notice you are using Win 7 RC. Until you can upgrade to 7600, I feel that any other attempt will be fruitless. Drivers and such from many Manufacture did not work in 7000, many still had problems in RC1-7100.

just for kick an giggles... try this. it might help.

click ORB --> cmd (run as admin) --> at popup paste -->
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
after the answer close-exit and run some tests.
If your using any DOWNLOAD managers. STOP. do your downloads with out DL Managers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Oct 2009   #434
Snufffed

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mirick View Post
Hahah, yeah, whatever floats your boat, man. When you people start listing up ALL THE YEARS OF EXPERIENCE I tend to turn my ears off until you say something relevant.

Plus, I think you misread what I said but no matter.
If I misread your post - plz post in language that a 67 yr old can understand.
Reason: i could be making $35 to $75 USD per hour, doing this.
BUT NO
I set here and this for FREE. You see I retired in 1999, age 57.
I learned a long time ago... to Listen, it did pay very well when it came to
REPAIRING computer systems..plus other things.

PS: It does not float my boat,
how ever - it does trip my trigger and blows up her mini shirt.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2009   #435
Snufffed

 

QUOTE=Arbatax Maybe not everybody using Windows 7 has networking problems, but there are certainly many users out there reporting LAN disconnects with Windows 7.

Here's my setup:
Asus P5B motherboard with on-board Realtek LAN card
1. Your Mobo is not compliant with Win 7. hence your mobo drivers will surely have problems.. you might try to install under compatibility mode.

The PC works fine under Windows XP, but I get disconnections, especially when the LAN card is idle, under Windows 7 (build 7100). see #1. also make sure under power management the "shut down to save power" is turned off.

I have tried all possible software, driver, and configuration solutions I found on the web, to no avail.

So I decided to go the hardware way and bought a good Intel LAN card and disabled the on-board card. This did not solve the problem under Win7, but the PC still works flawlessly under Windows XP. See #1.

One workaround I found is to have a media player constantly playing streaming radio. That way the connection drops much less frequently.

My conclusion is that Windows 7, in combination with some specific hardware (maybe the chipset of the motherboard, maybe the type and/or firmware of the internet router) will disconnect when the network is idle for some seconds.

Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2009   #436
Snufffed

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by davefr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
I wonder why everybody using Windows 7 does not have the same problem as you.

PS: I do use Authentic Windows 7 ISOs. DO you.?
With 30,000 views and over 400+ replies this is much more then a corrupt ISO.

I've tried mutliple versions of W7, multiple PC's, multiple different ethernet adapters and drivers and even bypassed my router. If you would post some of these many system setups that do not work.

However all of the above works flawlessly with Vista. I wonder what your system specs are....

There must be something in the W7 OS that handles ethernet differently or get's corrupt. Maybe it's in combination with other MB components like chip set. The only other thing it could be is some W7 incompatability with my broadband supplier's upstream hardware. I would still appreciate some system specs. ISP name. Adapter, mobo, memory, nic adapter - you know all that crud you never had time to fill out..

I hope this get's sorted out quickly after launch but until it does W7 is a showstopper for me.
OK time to guess, you mobo is not win 7 compatible, it also is marginal for Vista. -set all drivers via XP Compatibility mode.
2. you have 512 mb memory... recommend you at least upgrade to 1GB.
3. Recommend you remove the Win 7 Ultimate RC 7100 and install Home basic 7600 RTM
4. Call the ISP and have them do a test on your Dialup..connection.
5. Swap the cable for a cross over cable....
6. Sorry the cross over cable from you old satellite system will not work.
you need to get a Direct Cable.

Sorry if I missed any thing but I am guessing since I do not know anything about your system.


It also has been estimated to 80 to 100 million people are trying to use hacked - modified versions of Illegally obtained versions of Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2009   #437
Gazzasore

,Windows 7-64.7600.16385 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
to: Gazzasore
Nice to see your getting somewhere.
What is the Modem by name and model.?


Its a Billion 7404 Vgpm
Very good Routers

I haven't had a drop since I re-installed the firmware & did a factory reset

Here is the latest firmware & info about it Billion Products for SSL VPN, ADSL Modem/Router, Wireless ADSL Router, Powerline ADSL Router and Adapter, VoIP ADSL Modem/Router, Security Router, Broadband Router, SHDSL Bridge/Router, iBusiness Security, ISDN Product

The Router is a couple of years old now but still up there as good Router
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2009   #438
davefr

 
 

[QUOTE=Snuffy;302546]


Sorry if I missed any thing but I am guessing since I do not know anything about your system.


1. Gigabyte EP45UD3P, QX9650, 4G Ram

2. Realtek 8111 on board LAN (also substitued D-Link DFE - 530TX+ PCI card)

3. W7 RTM Home Prem (also tried HP 32 and HP 64 and Ult 64)

4. Linksys WRT54G (also bypassed and connected straight to WISP's ethernet jack)

5. WISP says so issues from their end.

6. Tried latest Realtek W7 drivers and also Vista drivers in compatability mode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2009   #439
Snufffed

 

1. Gigabyte EP45UD3P, QX9650, 4G Ram Board is win 7 compatible so all drivers should be OK. ( make sure default)

2. Realtek 8111 on board LAN (also substitued D-Link DFE - 530TX+ PCI card) same board my driver. 7.6.820.2009 Reaktek 8111-8168

3. W7 RTM Home Prem (also tried HP 32 and HP 64 and Ult 64) I have tested all version so x86...

4. Linksys WRT54G (also bypassed and connected straight to WISP's ethernet jack) Same Router I had when I was under WISP. PS: I found very early that some connections at the modem were flaky, Double check the installed cable... I found most make there cable... and pretty crappy at that. if cable is long check for proper installation.

5. WISP says so issues from their end. I hear that every day... I no longer have there service. but still have all the right #'s to call...

6. Tried latest Realtek W7 drivers and also Vista drivers in compatability mode. When you installed Vista drivers did you make sure ( As Admin)?
but the win7 drivers should be OK. mobo is verified Win 7.

Biggest problem I found with the WISP in this area. was cheap cable, cheaper ends and 100% jerks on the installation. double check the tower location to your radio... angle is important also.

at times I have even used a pencil eraser ( new) to polish the contacts on adapter - cable connector, the polish the ends at the WISP antenna if you can.

WISPs run on a spec freq... chek the freq of your WISP, the cable length can be critical like in Ham Radio or CB. did they use metal staples to attach? are there any sharp bends.


Attached Thumbnails
"Ethernet" Connection Drop-wimax.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2009   #440
davefr

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Biggest problem I found with the WISP in this area. was cheap cable, cheaper ends and 100% jerks on the installation. double check the tower location to your radio... angle is important also.

at times I have even used a pencil eraser ( new) to polish the contacts on adapter - cable connector, the polish the ends at the WISP antenna if you can.

WISPs run on a spec freq... chek the freq of your WISP, the cable length can be critical like in Ham Radio or CB. did they use metal staples to attach? are there any sharp bends.
Thanks, but why would all these problem occur in W7 but not Vista?? Is W7 more susceptable to these type issues??

Once you're out on the Ethernet doesn't Ethernet become basically immune from the differences in OS's???

Even Linux Internet runs great on my system. This issue is limited to W7 only.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 "Ethernet" Connection Drop




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
"Local Area Connection" missing in "Change adapter Settings".. Plz hlp
I have to set up a Broadband connection. But Local Area connection icon is missing. Someone told "drivers" could be missing... I installed few. But the problem is as it was.. please guide me in this regards.. Thank you Screen shots Attached
Network & Sharing
Sony Vaio Laptop "stopped" connecting to WiFi connection " Limited acc
Hi, I am hoping you can help me with my problem. My main laptop (Sony Vaio VPCCB15FG) in the last week just stopped accessing the internet via WiFi. It says it has Limited Acess but I have no idea how to fix it. The other 3 computers in the house (Custom desktop, Toshiba Net book, Samsung...
Network & Sharing
Inserting Ethernet Cord Does Not "Automatically" switch connection....
Inserting Ethernet Cord Does Not "Automatically" switch connection to ethernet. This is the trouble I have to go through whenever I insert my ethernet cord: I have to go to network and sharing center Then I have to click change adapter settings Finally, I have to disable wireless...
Network & Sharing
"No Network Access" and "Limited Connection/Connectivity" ?
Hey, I am really hoping someone can help me solve this problem, it's driving me up the wall! When I started using my computer this morning everything was fine, and then "no network access" kept appearing, along with "limited connection/connectivity". I would troubleshoot the problem, but then at...
Network & Sharing
""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config "
i Recently bought and hp windows 7 computer 64 bit and it was fine but two weeks later it does this it was working few hour ago and now it saids this ""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config" what does that mean? i couldnt fix it, i turned off the router, modem did a pc recovery...
Network & Sharing
I have "DHCP" how can I use "Static" IP on a wireless connection?
I don't know if this is the right place, but I seriously need some help. I've got an IP that changes every time my "gateway" (router) is reset. First of all, I'm using windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. AND IIS. (Internet information services) or something like that.. It's really annoying, because...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App