Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: "you have been invited to join a homegroup"

27 Jun 2010   #1
NoJones

win7U XPpro
 
 
"you have been invited to join a homegroup"

,,, with no option to turn the offer down or create my one of my own.


Fresh installation of win7. Living in a flat with multiple wla networks thou I suspect this win7 bug? I need to connect two computers via homegroup. Only this 1st one has internet access. What to do?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Jun 2010   #2
Product FRED

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
 
 

Try this. Go into the start menu and type "Homegroup". Click "Find and Fix problems with Homegroup".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #3
NoJones

win7U XPpro
 
 

TY for the advice,,,



Above is what I get any freaking way was it create via troubleshoot or anything else that crossed my mind. Naturally the homegroup is pw protected so I cannot join+quit. Am I being hijacked or does windows have a dream of the whole buildingblock being one family in one homegroup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jun 2010   #4
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoJones View Post
,,, with no option to turn the offer down or create my one of my own.


Fresh installation of win7. Living in a flat with multiple wla networks thou I suspect this win7 bug? I need to connect two computers via homegroup. Only this 1st one has internet access. What to do?
Sounds to me like you are connected to someone else's wireless network. The invite to join a Homegroup which you didn't create makes this even more likely.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #5
fishnbanjo

Vista 64 Ultimate, Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Ubuntu 9.10
 
 

I agree with chev65, your PC found a wireless connection. If you set up your PC to act as Public PC that could be one of the problems. I don't know how you set up your router but if you are indeed setting it up for you access I hope is it WPA secured, if not at least WEP which is nowhere as reliable and easily gotten by.

I would suggest making sure your router is how you want it to be and then recycle it off/on waiting about 30 seconds. Go to Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center > Connect to a Network > then you should get a list of available networks, choose your network and set it as a Home Network and give it a name (don't use the router's DEFAULT as they are easily hacked when not secured).
When you set up your Home Network and it works for you then go to the other PC which you will have either set to share the connection through the router or alternately through the PC that is on the network.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #6
NoJones

win7U XPpro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoJones View Post
,,, with no option to turn the offer down or create my one of my own.


Fresh installation of win7. Living in a flat with multiple wla networks thou I suspect this win7 bug? I need to connect two computers via homegroup. Only this 1st one has internet access. What to do?
Sounds to me like you are connected to someone else's wireless network. The invite to join a Homegroup which you didn't create makes this even more likely.

I did not join any wireless networks. If there was a wireless connection it was not visible in network map or wireless connection management. Detecting this supposed connection was beyond my windows skills. I already had used 3+ hours to activate this time saving and effortless feature so I figured I can live without it and go old fashioned if needed. Is it possible to be connected and not visible by windows GUI? Anyway the home group disappeared few days after.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #7
NoJones

win7U XPpro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fishnbanjo View Post
I agree with chev65, your PC found a wireless connection. If you set up your PC to act as Public PC that could be one of the problems. I don't know how you set up your router but if you are indeed setting it up for you access I hope is it WPA secured, if not at least WEP which is nowhere as reliable and easily gotten by.

I would suggest making sure your router is how you want it to be and then recycle it off/on waiting about 30 seconds. Go to Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center > Connect to a Network > then you should get a list of available networks, choose your network and set it as a Home Network and give it a name (don't use the router's DEFAULT as they are easily hacked when not secured).
When you set up your Home Network and it works for you then go to the other PC which you will have either set to share the connection through the router or alternately through the PC that is on the network.
There is no router. There is a a single cable (100base-T Crossed?) from wall to computer. Manual internet settings.I think IP is fixed and unique.After all hardship with getting rid of the "hostile" home group the fun thing is that it seems I cannot use one.Without router I use ad hoc + ICS. It would seem that ad hoc cannot be configured home network on the source computer. It's not visible under wireless connections management. Only one network can be configured as home? Is there a workaround? I might buy a wireless router should I need file or printer sharing beyong occasional use but not for now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 "you have been invited to join a homegroup"




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"
My office just upgraded, and I can no longer use Windows XP. On this system, I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network, and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists. Each task on each taskbar...
General Discussion
Not sure on "Sync Center's" usefullness for a 1 pc homegroup setup.
Hello, I am not real sure whether or not I would need to enable Sync Center (offline files) given my setup. I have 1 computer that never leaves home and does not do anything fancy like VPN's, so given my stats would think that I could go ahead and change my offline settings from automatic to either...
Network & Sharing
"Everyone" and "HomeGroup" Permissions on the same folder
So I want to share with another win7 laptop folder A, which has folder B, and a file name C. Folder A currently has "Everyone" AND "HomeGroup" permission, folder B has "Everyone", and file C has "HomeGroup". I set the network location to "Home Network" when I connect 2 laptops directly using a...
Network & Sharing
Session "Homegroup Log" failed to start with error: 0xC0000035
After a factory reset and clean installation I am looking in to a few remaining errors that are reported. One such is Can someone tell me the cause for the error and how I may prevent its recurrence? Please!
Network & Sharing
No "Share With" Choice on Win7 Homegroup Menu
Desktop A hardwired to Netgear router, laptop B has wireless connection to router. Both Win7/64, Home Premium. I can get computer A (where the homegroup was established) to read and write (ie, permanently change) folders/files on computer B, but B can only read (not write) to A. I was supposed to...
Network & Sharing
"invited" to join a HomeGroup with no option to turn them down
Brink, I really need your help. The last few times that I have booted up I have been "invited" to join a Hone Group with no option to turn them down. Now, via Control Panel I find that I am in at least one home group and that I cannot forbid them to read my files if I don't know their...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:03.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App