AT&T 3G card software won't install in 6956


  1. Posts : 415
    W8 Pro, W7 Ultimate, XP Pro x64, Vista x64, Ubuntu
       #1

    AT&T 3G card software won't install in 6956


    The Dell Mobile Broadband Card software installs and works fine in Windows 7 v.6801 64-bit but will not install in 6956 (32-bit). It gets most of the way through and then rolls back to nothing. The Compatibility Troubleshooter didn't help no matter what combination I tried. Besides 6801, I have successfully used the same software in XP Pro x86, XP Pro x64, Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit.
    I read somewhere that IE8 might be the culprit so I vLited the 6956 without IE8 but it still will not install.
    Any ideas??? Thanks.

    Tom
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #2

    zrtom said:
    The Dell Mobile Broadband Card software installs and works fine in Windows 7 v.6801 64-bit but will not install in 6956 (32-bit). It gets most of the way through and then rolls back to nothing. The Compatibility Troubleshooter didn't help no matter what combination I tried. Besides 6801, I have successfully used the same software in XP Pro x86, XP Pro x64, Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit.
    I read somewhere that IE8 might be the culprit so I vLited the 6956 without IE8 but it still will not install.
    Any ideas??? Thanks.

    Tom
    are you able to use drivermax
    to backup the driver
    Windows 7 driver solution
    also can you do right click the installation and go to compatability choose vista and also chose run as admin
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,519
    El Capitan / Windows 10
       #3

    Are there any error messages, log files or screenshots you might be able to provide?

    You might also try DriverMax. Read about it at DriverMax - free driver updates and get it at http://small.drivermax.com/soft/dmx/drivermax.exe. It has a function that will allow you to backup the drivers installed on either Vista or maybe even 6801 and restore them onto 6956. It's free and comes highly recommended by many folks on this board.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 415
    W8 Pro, W7 Ultimate, XP Pro x64, Vista x64, Ubuntu
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Here's a shot of what is reported after the installation fails.
    Tomorrow, I'm going to try Drivermax on a 32-bit Vista installation I have. I'll post what I learn. I think this is going to be a big issue with all the 3G cards going into laptops these days. Thanks for the ideas!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AT&T 3G card software won't install in 6956-3g-install-failure.png  
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #5

    zrtom said:
    Here's a shot of what is reported after the installation fails.
    Tomorrow, I'm going to try Drivermax on a 32-bit Vista installation I have. I'll post what I learn. I think this is going to be a big issue with all the 3G cards going into laptops these days. Thanks for the ideas!
    ok...
    as for 3g cards...
    there is not that big of a movement...
    3g has recently been made for the consumer market
    just wait until the beta or the RTM...
    im pretty sure it they will have support...

    edit are you running from a cd or from online driver???
    Last edited by darkassain; 16 Dec 2008 at 02:24.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 415
    W8 Pro, W7 Ultimate, XP Pro x64, Vista x64, Ubuntu
    Thread Starter
       #6

    I just tried an "earlier" version of the Dell software and it works! I agree, though, that later versions of W7 will most likely provide support for the "newer" software.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #7

    zrtom said:
    I just tried an "earlier" version of the Dell software and it works! I agree, though, that later versions of W7 will most likely provide support for the "newer" software.
    ok...
    glad you got it working...
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:57.
Find Us