Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft Feels "Urgency" for Tablets

30 Jul 2010   #11
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
I remember a apple fan boy telling me it didn't have USB ports because they were outdated....
LOL. Now if he said USB 1.1, he'd be correct. I'm still waiting to use my USB 3.0 ports...
No, he meant USB 3.0.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Jul 2010   #12
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

I would love to see MS come out with a Tabled VERSION of Windows 7, and take a leaf out of Android and Apple's books on the design of the GUI.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2010   #13
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 
Windows 7 Tablets: Just Say No, Microsoft

Quote:
July 30, 2010 5:25 PM

Windows 7 Tablets: Just Say No, Microsoft

By Jeff Bertolucci, PC World

Microsoft is busy at work on a new tablet computer design, a product that may arrive from one or more of its hardware partners in "not a heck of a long time," CEO Steve Ballmer told analysts on Thursday.

With the early success of the Apple iPad--more than 3 million sales and counting--and a batch of Android tablets scheduled to arrive by the end of the year, Microsoft is coming to the party late. True, Redmond has toyed with tablet PCs for years, including long-forgotten experiments such as the Toshiba Portege M205-S810 laptop/slate hybrid, but it's still a no-show in the iPad era. This will soon change, however.

Desktop to Tablet

Unfortunately, Microsoft plans to retrofit Windows 7 to run on slates. While Win 7 is a fine operating system for conventional PCs, it was never designed for touch input, a shortcoming that makes it inherently clunky for the new breed of touchscreen tablets.

To be fair, Windows 7 does include Windows Touch, an interface overlay that allows you to use multitouch finger gestures--the flicks and taps familiar to smartphone users--on a Win 7 tablet. But touch input isn't a particularly efficient way to navigate the Windows UI, which was designed for mice and keyboards.
More
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Jul 2010   #14
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote:
it was never designed for touch input, a shortcoming that makes it inherently clunky for the new breed of touchscreen tablets.
That is completely false and bogus.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2010   #15
bobtran

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Way late.....even Kmart has an ipad clone available for $149. Not much but still an actual product.
Kmart Adds iPad-Like Android Tablet - 2010-07-30 19:09:55 | TWICE

All I can say is if Microsoft is going to get into this field it had better be D*** good and at a low, low price point otherwise its just another mega-million dollar failure.

I really, really want to believe that it will be a good must have product, but, as the owner of a new HTC touch pro2 windows mobile 6.5 phone that is NOT eligible to upgrade to windows phone 7 (still not commercially available I might add) I personally have my doubts. It's just about profits and not about the customer experience.

Come-on "Steven B".......surprise me, but, I bet you can't.





Edit: Wow- freaky when you post to one thread and it gets combined with another thread even as you post it......I've got a good case of whiplash now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2010   #16
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Quote:
July 30, 2010 5:25 PM

Windows 7 Tablets: Just Say No, Microsoft

By Jeff Bertolucci, PC World

Microsoft is busy at work on a new tablet computer design, a product that may arrive from one or more of its hardware partners in "not a heck of a long time," CEO Steve Ballmer told analysts on Thursday.

With the early success of the Apple iPad--more than 3 million sales and counting--and a batch of Android tablets scheduled to arrive by the end of the year, Microsoft is coming to the party late. True, Redmond has toyed with tablet PCs for years, including long-forgotten experiments such as the Toshiba Portege M205-S810 laptop/slate hybrid, but it's still a no-show in the iPad era. This will soon change, however.

Desktop to Tablet

Unfortunately, Microsoft plans to retrofit Windows 7 to run on slates. While Win 7 is a fine operating system for conventional PCs, it was never designed for touch input, a shortcoming that makes it inherently clunky for the new breed of touchscreen tablets.

To be fair, Windows 7 does include Windows Touch, an interface overlay that allows you to use multitouch finger gestures--the flicks and taps familiar to smartphone users--on a Win 7 tablet. But touch input isn't a particularly efficient way to navigate the Windows UI, which was designed for mice and keyboards.
More
Exactly my thinking on the OS choice.

PParks, the whole reason behind that thinking is that, whether it is designed for it or not, Windows 7 would NOT be touch friendly on a small screen!
As mentioned in the article, look at the small sized buttons, text links, etc.
That is the reason I would rather see an OS DESIGNED for a tablet, NOT A PC.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2010   #17
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

MS has has it's own Tablet PC editions for some time now. Touchscreen often depends on what a particular display supports especially if you follow some of the more recent tv shows where you see someone standing in front of a large projection screen when using that feature.

Cramped on a small screen you typically see the large square buttons displayed for menu options. The small keyboard buttons are not really any great deal larger then seen on most cell phones since everything has to be made compact. That's a large contrast between a 7.1" diagonal and a 19-24" desktop display not to mention applying touchscreen to a 40-50" lcd you mount on a wall.

The best term for the contrast would likely be "awkward" for TS in the present form of 7. 7 Tablet PC edition would be the thing needed and likely what MS is planning.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2010   #18
cloud8521

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
MS has has it's own Tablet PC editions for some time now. Touchscreen often depends on what a particular display supports especially if you follow some of the more recent tv shows where you see someone standing in front of a large projection screen when using that feature.

Cramped on a small screen you typically see the large square buttons displayed for menu options. The small keyboard buttons are not really any great deal larger then seen on most cell phones since everything has to be made compact. That's a large contrast between a 7.1" diagonal and a 19-24" desktop display not to mention applying touchscreen to a 40-50" lcd you mount on a wall.

The best term for the contrast would likely be "awkward" for TS in the present form of 7. 7 Tablet PC edition would be the thing needed and likely what MS is planning.
other settings help too :P

such as setting screen DPI, icon size

that sort of thing cant leave those out.

alot on windows 7 seems to me built for touch epecially the large setting for icons! those things are monstrous!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2010   #19
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

They wanted them to stand out. You're not using a mouse cursor but physically touching the screen itself. Liken that to what you see with touchscreen ATM machines or when some store or bank clerk swings a rouchscreen at you for entering something as well as confirmation wih the yes and no icons.

All that was geared originally for the larger screen displays seen in your typical conference room setting. From there you step down to laptops and desktops with touch supported monitors and finally down to Tablet. I suspect you wouldn't see any many options for DPI, resolution, icon sizing on a Tablet edition since that is somewhat apart from your typical desktop edition which sees all sorts of environments and screen sizes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2010   #20
cloud8521

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
They wanted them to stand out. You're not using a mouse cursor but physically touching the screen itself. Liken that to what you see with touchscreen ATM machines or when some store or bank clerk swings a rouchscreen at you for entering something as well as confirmation wih the yes and no icons.

All that was geared originally for the larger screen displays seen in your typical conference room setting. From there you step down to laptops and desktops with touch supported monitors and finally down to Tablet. I suspect you wouldn't see any many options for DPI, resolution, icon sizing on a Tablet edition since that is somewhat apart from your typical desktop edition which sees all sorts of environments and screen sizes.
well thats not what i really meant. but ya
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft Feels "Urgency" for Tablets




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
"access denied" when using "assoc" and "ftype" from cmdline?
I tried to associate the file extension .txt to a new editor program with the well known cmdline programs ASSOC and FTYPE. No, assigning them through WinExplorer menu does not work. But this is another problem which should not discussed here. When I type now one of the following...
General Discussion
Kyboard deos not respond to the keys: "e", "d", "c" and "3"
Example sentence: vrytim I prss ths kys, nothing happns. Now I'm writing with my on-sreen keyboard. I'm clueless when it comes to computer stuff. How do I fix this? Is this a software problem, or a hardware problem?Help is much appreciated!
Hardware & Devices
Changing the "minimize" "maximize" and "close" buttons of a theme
Ok so I'm using a custom visual style made by another user however I don't really like the buttons used that I mentioned above. The creator states it is acceptable to change the theme to however you like as long as you don't redistribute it anywhere. Ok so I opened up the .msstyles file (using...
Customization
BSOD every few hours: mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "c00021a" & "c0000135"
Hi everyone! Yesterday my HP laptop (Windows 7) started getting BSOD with various types of errors (mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "STOP: 0x0000007A", "c00021a" and one "missing %hs, c0000135"). Most of the time it restarts without any issues and works fine right after the BSOD and then an hour or two...
BSOD Help and Support
Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"
My office just upgraded, and I can no longer use Windows XP. On this system, I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network, and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists. Each task on each taskbar...
General Discussion
Remaking "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders
hi, OK, this is a weird one. I wanted to move the "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders to another HDD. I moved the "My Documents" Folder to this HDD without a problem but the others I accidentally set the whole HDD as the folder (if that makes sense). So now the music, videos and...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App