Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: MSE earns prestigous August Virus Bulletin 100 Award

14 Aug 2010   #21
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by freaky88 View Post
why do you sound so mad everytime you post something?
He may sound ANGRY, but he certainly does not sound MAD.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Aug 2010   #22
freaky88

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by freaky88 View Post
why do you sound so mad everytime you post something?
He may sound ANGRY, but he certainly does not sound MAD.
p
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2010   #23
Klaw117

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
Part of it is because I get sick of saying some stuff over and over again and people just not listening. I clearly stated the McAfee was bad product, I stated why I thought so, and that most people agree. And what I hear back is "I still think they're good." Its like if I said "Don't drink cyanide because you will die very quickly" and you said "Oh, well, I think I'll drink it anyways.

The other part of it is, I have my own reasons for being mad at the world in general right now. Some people on here already know what that reason is and I don't really feel like talking about it here.
In all fairness, there are times where a normally bad product will work completely fine for some users. I've never used McAfee, but I have used Norton, which many say is a bad product, but it worked perfectly fine for me. Of course, I would rather take MSE since it's free and has proved itself on several occasions, but I, by no means, am against Norton. It has stopped viruses and when I uninstalled it to put MSE on instead, Norton didn't have any problem uninstalling like others claimed it did.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Aug 2010   #24
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

In defense of Petey7, it does get tiresome repeating the same info over and over that should be either common knowledge, or easily searchable. For example, here in August of 2010, I can't believe so many people have to ask if their product key will work with x86 and x64. I also can't believe so many people ask what version of Windows they should run, as if we had any insight into their uses, budget, necessary software, etc. It does get very tiresome, but maybe this comes from being in IT for so many years, where people expect to have everything spoonfed to them over and over. I think I need to switch professions and become a chef.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2010   #25
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709
 
 

I understand why in this case Petey7 is not his joyful self. Not only on this site but you can Google or Bing many many sites and read the same horror stories all over the world that Mc Afee has caused. I call it Malware. The hell one has to go through to remove all of it, it's close to being a rootkit. If some one is having luck with Mc Affe why wait around until it crashes your computer. Then there are those that read all the good and even great reports about MSE and think it can't be because it's Microsoft. I like Microsoft that's why I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64. Just a though, it wasn't long ago Mc Afee got caught giving subscription information to a side company they owned and who knows where it went from there. They apologized for there error and mistake in judgment. That from a company that you let take care of your security on your computers. That boat don't float in my world or computer. I'm done, if you need more there is a great big internet you can find the information.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #26
acethepug

Windows 7
 
 

Hi, totally new here.

I'm going to speak on the idea of people who kept McAfee in the past -- a lot of us DON'T know better.

Do you know how I found out the upgrade to 2010 for them might be death for my Windows 7 PC (as I got it from Dell)? A post in the Malwarebytes forum by someone that had it happen to them. From that, I shut off my Mcafee automatic updates, and potentially saved my PC.

I've been browsing various forums to see if there was a 'fix' for this, nothing on McAfee's site, and eventually, I found my way here.

It's great to know MSE is well-respected. I'll probably shut off McAfee and try their uninstall tool, then install MSE and use it, the Windows Firewall, and MBAM as my on-demand scanner.

But simply put, a lot of us don't know PCs very well. We assume McAfee is a decent product because it's offered (and for Dell, it's the ONLY choice, they don't even offer Trend anymore), and we aren't in-depth PC-savvy people.

Still, the posts and information here are incredibly valuable. Thank you so much for that.

Wish me luck this weekend

Take it and run
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #27
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I understand why in this case Petey7 is not his joyful self. Not only on this site but you can Google or Bing many many sites and read the same horror stories all over the world that Mc Afee has caused. I call it Malware. The hell one has to go through to remove all of it, it's close to being a rootkit. If some one is having luck with Mc Affe why wait around until it crashes your computer. Then there are those that read all the good and even great reports about MSE and think it can't be because it's Microsoft. I like Microsoft that's why I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64. Just a though, it wasn't long ago Mc Afee got caught giving subscription information to a side company they owned and who knows where it went from there. They apologized for there error and mistake in judgment. That from a company that you let take care of your security on your computers. That boat don't float in my world or computer. I'm done, if you need more there is a great big internet you can find the information.
While what you say about McAfee being close to a rootkit, the same is true of nearly all security suites. They have to be rootkits in order to work. That is why they are difficult to uninstall.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #28
Rhammstein

HP Win7 Pro x64 | Custom Win7 Pro x64
 
 

Edit: I've made the switch, and I love it. It's much lighter than AVG, and very fast. Fewer processes running, but doing the same job, and as non-intrusive as I could imagine an AV ever being, damn I'm happy. And wish I'd switched a very long time ago.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #29
Boastree

Win7 Ultimate
 
 

I have used Symantec Endpoint now for about 3 years with Malewarebytes active. I have had no problems but...things just take too long to boot and seems little sluggish. After reading this post I decided to switch and give this MSE a try. I backed it up with Outpost firewall because of my past positive expeience with that app and of course I like the adblocking. Now my boot time is half and my internet no longer seems sluggish. What is...is. I am pleased as puch I ran into this post here and I am completely satified with the performance I am having with my Win7 64 now. Windows SevenForums is the best thing to come along in quite a while...thanks for being here guys.

By the way...I do not see Petey as angry or mad....just passionate. And Petey your posts and advice have been of value to me more than once. Keep on keepin on bro.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #30
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boastree View Post
I have used Symantec Endpoint now for about 3 years with Malewarebytes active. I have had no problems but...things just take too long to boot and seems little sluggish. After reading this post I decided to switch and give this MSE a try. I backed it up with Outpost firewall because of my past positive expeience with that app and of course I like the adblocking. Now my boot time is half and my internet no longer seems sluggish. What is...is. I am pleased as puch I ran into this post here and I am completely satified with the performance I am having with my Win7 64 now. Windows SevenForums is the best thing to come along in quite a while...thanks for being here guys.
Glad to hear you tried it and it is working well for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 MSE earns prestigous August Virus Bulletin 100 Award




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
August 2010 Virus Bulletin Results Summary
The results have been posted for the August 2010 VB Tests. From Virus Bulletin : VB100 award - latest comparative Bolded below are some interesting failures from the summary, located at Virus Bulletin : VB100 results summary. If these products failed on Windows Vista, does anyone think...
System Security
Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for August 10, 2010
Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for August 10, 2010 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for August 10 2010 Published: August 10 2010 Note: There may be latency issues due to replication, if the page does not display keep refreshing Note: Security Center - Bulletins Advisories Tools...
News
ESET Earns Record-Breaking 58th VB100 Award
Full Story;
System Security
August 2009 Bulletin Release
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App