Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New Bill Would Require U.S. ISPs to Block Pirate Sites

01 Oct 2010   #171
madtownidiot

 

The only way to truly lower taxes is to make the government smaller, as if that will ever happen


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Oct 2010   #172
Catswold

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobtran View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Catswold View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobtran View Post

But pay far LESS in taxes....If corps want the privileges then they should pay taxes like any other individual and accept the responsibilities that go with being an individual including legal liability instead of Corp. immunity.
Corporations cannot pay taxes, only their customers pay taxes. That's one thing people need to understand. You can't force corporations to pay taxes, precisely because they are legal agreements. Any taxes placed on a corporation invariably get added to the cost of doing business and are automatically passed on to the consumer as an additional tax.

Charge Exxon or BP a "corporate tax," the unit price of gasoline rises commensurately to cover that tax. Any "corporate tax" is a tax on the people. Raise taxes on corporations, you automatically raise taxes on everyone who uses their product.

Obama promised not to raise taxes on those earning under $250,000/year, but by raising corporate taxes, he automatically violates that pledge.

I have repeated what I said in a couple of ways, because this is a fundamental fact that needs to be understood by everyone. Corporations don't pay taxes, only customers pay taxes.
You are correct which is why no corporation should ever be granted personhood under the law (and no I am not arguing both sides of issue, I am stating my opinion related to the granting of privileges without the responsibilities inherent in the concept of personhood).
YOur argument is a non-sequitur. Many people don't pay taxes, are they thus not to be granted "personhood?" Is paying taxes one of the defining characteristics of being a person? Also, though the entity doesn't pay taxes, the owners all pay taxes from their share of profits derived from the corporation doing business.

Laws do not grant "personhood" to corporations, it is part of their definition. Corporations have been in existence since Roman times at least. The reason they are treated as a person is because they are an association of individuals. Corporation, from the Latin word "corpus" meaning "body" as in a "body of people."

If you remove "personhood" from a corporation, then you remove some of their responsibilities as well. A corporation can be sued, just as can an individual.

From Wiki:
Quote:
In the late eighteenth century, Stewart Kyd, the author of the first treatise on corporate law in English, defined a corporation as,
a collection of many individuals united into one body, under a special denomination, having perpetual succession under an artificial form, and vested, by policy of the law, with the capacity of acting, in several respects, as an individual, particularly of taking and granting property, of contracting obligations, and of suing and being sued, of enjoying privileges and immunities in common, and of exercising a variety of political rights, more or less extensive, according to the design of its institution, or the powers conferred upon it, either at the time of its creation, or at any subsequent period of its existence.
Corporations are one of the most essential cogs which drives the engine of our economies. Don't dis' the corporation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2010   #173
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Here.. lets just put all the side arguments that might be speculated on to rest and post the Actual Bill....

QUOTE - "While this bill has the noble-sounding goal of preventing online piracy, handing the federal government authority over the Internet would set a troubling precedent that would imperil Internet freedom in America and across the world."

"Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act" or S.3804.IS

Side Article about this whole thing

Please be very sure that you do not miss this little line...

"To combat online infringement, and for other purposes."

If that is not your red flag, I do not know what is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Oct 2010   #174
bobtran

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Catswold View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobtran View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Catswold View Post
Corporations cannot pay taxes, only their customers pay taxes. That's one thing people need to understand. You can't force corporations to pay taxes, precisely because they are legal agreements. Any taxes placed on a corporation invariably get added to the cost of doing business and are automatically passed on to the consumer as an additional tax.

Charge Exxon or BP a "corporate tax," the unit price of gasoline rises commensurately to cover that tax. Any "corporate tax" is a tax on the people. Raise taxes on corporations, you automatically raise taxes on everyone who uses their product.

Obama promised not to raise taxes on those earning under $250,000/year, but by raising corporate taxes, he automatically violates that pledge.

I have repeated what I said in a couple of ways, because this is a fundamental fact that needs to be understood by everyone. Corporations don't pay taxes, only customers pay taxes.
You are correct which is why no corporation should ever be granted personhood under the law (and no I am not arguing both sides of issue, I am stating my opinion related to the granting of privileges without the responsibilities inherent in the concept of personhood).
YOur argument is a non-sequitur. Many people don't pay taxes, are they thus not to be granted "personhood?" Is paying taxes one of the defining characteristics of being a person? Also, though the entity doesn't pay taxes, the owners all pay taxes from their share of profits derived from the corporation doing business.

Laws do not grant "personhood" to corporations, it is part of their definition. Corporations have been in existence since Roman times at least. The reason they are treated as a person is because they are an association of individuals. Corporation, from the Latin word "corpus" meaning "body" as in a "body of people."

If you remove "personhood" from a corporation, then you remove some of their responsibilities as well. A corporation can be sued, just as can an individual.

From Wiki:
Quote:
In the late eighteenth century, Stewart Kyd, the author of the first treatise on corporate law in English, defined a corporation as,
a collection of many individuals united into one body, under a special denomination, having perpetual succession under an artificial form, and vested, by policy of the law, with the capacity of acting, in several respects, as an individual, particularly of taking and granting property, of contracting obligations, and of suing and being sued, of enjoying privileges and immunities in common, and of exercising a variety of political rights, more or less extensive, according to the design of its institution, or the powers conferred upon it, either at the time of its creation, or at any subsequent period of its existence.
Corporations are one of the most essential cogs which drives the engine of our economies. Don't dis' the corporation.
I made an error posting a personal feeling about the direction that politics are going in this country and the way in which corps are treated to the detriment of the legitimate citizens in this country.

This is WAY off topic and does not belong on SevenForums where we talk about IT and it's ramifications to our society.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2010   #175
lorddenis

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
Here.. lets just put all the side arguments that might be speculated on to rest and post the Actual Bill....

QUOTE - "While this bill has the noble-sounding goal of preventing online piracy, handing the federal government authority over the Internet would set a troubling precedent that would imperil Internet freedom in America and across the world."

"Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act"

Side Article about this whole thing

Please be very sure that you do not miss this little line...

"To combat online infringement, and for other purposes."

If that is not your red flag, I do not know what is.
noble ? dont make me laught. they just want too fill their pockets!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2010   #176
fseal

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Combatting internet piracy is a noble cause. Most bills are wrapped up in noble causes in order to get them passed. It's the hidden text that virtually no one knows is there (except those that wrote the bill) that is the real trouble.

Freqently bills (such as this possibly) are created JUST to give a "noble cause" to a real hidden adgenda which, in this case, really does look like the government wants filter taps on all ISPs runnning all the time for live filtering and surveilance /in the name of combatting piracy/ but of course if passed, to be used "for other purposes" as they see fit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2010   #177
madtownidiot

 

I'm sure it will be just as effective on combating piracy as the "War on Drugs" has been on combating the drug trade ...and I mean that with the utmost sarcasm
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2010   #178
lorddenis

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
Combatting internet piracy is a noble cause. Most bills are wrapped up in noble causes in order to get them passed. It's the hidden text that virtually no one knows is there (except those that wrote the bill) that is the real trouble.

Freqently bills (such as this possibly) are created JUST to give a "noble cause" to a real hidden adgenda which, in this case, really does look like the government wants filter taps on all ISPs runnning all the time for live filtering and surveilance /in the name of combatting piracy/ but of course if passed, to be used "for other purposes" as they see fit.
today nothing is noble its all about the money.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2010   #179
Bootz

Vista Business x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
The only way to truly lower taxes is to make the government smaller, as if that will ever happen
For sure not with the current people in power anyway..........................
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2010   #180
Bootz

Vista Business x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
I'm sure it will be just as effective on combating piracy as the "War on Drugs" has been on combating the drug trade ...and I mean that with the utmost sarcasm
The war on drugs could be won very easily if they wanted, it brings in way to much money to the law inforcment system and communities for them to want to stop drugs comming into the country.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 New Bill Would Require U.S. ISPs to Block Pirate Sites




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I block facebook popups in every web sites?
How do I block facebook windows popups in every web sites. http://s27.postimg.org/6hmj707lv/koiza.jpg
Browsers & Mail
How do i block HTTPS access to Social networking sites
I am trying to block HTTPS access to social networking sites at work. the web filtering service we use is barracuda but they are not configured to block HTTPS only HTTP sessions.(unless they can, but we have not figured it out yet). is it possible to block access via group policy in Active...
System Security
Virgin: First UK ISP to block Pirate Bay
Virgin Media is first UK ISP to block The Pirate Bay - The Inquirer Now I'm not that bothered about this, but how come our government can't jump on kiddie porn websites so quickly??
News
Can I block sites between certain times?
Hello I have just got a new laptop with Windows 7 and IE8 to write up my thesis. Trouble is, I know I am easily distracted by certain websites and I want to remove the temptation to visit them while I should be working. I can't completely disable the internet since I need to be able to search...
Browsers & Mail
How do I block sites from accessing IIS webserver
Hi guys Not sure if question should be here or in Networking Is there a way of BLOCKING some incoming sites from possibly accessing your web servers. Note this is for a HOME webserver with a bog standard home router -- so no corporate type of hardware firewall etc. Using W7 X-64 build...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App