Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New Bill Would Require U.S. ISPs to Block Pirate Sites

26 Sep 2010   #31
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by geekfreak View Post
big deal that is why we have ip changers, and proxy sites. they can try to block us all they want. we will just laugh in their face like we always do.
However, if this is enforced at the ISP level....they own the entire block of IP's and if they simply won't route the traffic to those sites you are going to be a little bit stuck. Sure, you could go to a proxy site...as long as you can get there But if those sites are operated in a way that they cannot route traffic there either...maybe it won't be the child's play that you imagine.

As a said, I'm not naive and I don't think you would stop everything. but it would certainly put a dent in the issue if the average joe didn't have unrestricted unfettered access to whatever is being shared on these types of sites.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Sep 2010   #32
Al Fairclough

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I wish people would spend a fraction of the time spent to police child pornography networks, rather than making millionaires more money. Somewhere along the line our values have been skewed, when we are more concerned with intellectual property rights than child porno and the trafficing of children.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #33
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Why would one need a torrent site to down load legal copies of movies or music. You can buy such things and down load them from one legal web site with no problems.
I download most of my Linux distros from torrent downloads. These downloads are posted right on the official vendors website. The reason I use them is that with something like Ubuntu or Fedora...on the day (or week) of release, the official HTTP site is so overwhelmed with traffic that you might download at most 20KB/sec from these sites. But if you go with the torrent link, you might get 800-1500KB/sec and get the download finished far more quickly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Sep 2010   #34
geekfreak

Win 7 X32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by geekfreak View Post
big deal that is why we have ip changers, and proxy sites. they can try to block us all they want. we will just laugh in their face like we always do.
However, if this is enforced at the ISP level....they own the entire block of IP's and if they simply won't route the traffic to those sites you are going to be a little bit stuck. Sure, you could go to a proxy site...as long as you can get there But if those sites are operated in a way that they cannot route traffic there either...maybe it won't be the child's play that you imagine.

As a said, I'm not naive and I don't think you would stop everything. but it would certainly put a dent in the issue if the average joe didn't have unrestricted unfettered access to whatever is being shared on these types of sites.
the isp has no idea when you do or don't use a ip chsanger, so the are s*** out of luck. and again the real reason for the law does not have to do with filesharing. only a fool believes that it is, and i don't think we have any fools in this thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #35
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

As far as blocking the Torrent sites, I have no issue nor will it effect me at all.
So long as thats all they really are going to do, and not attempting to filter everything they think is "bad".



Personally, Porn shouldnt be out there for just anyone to access IMO. But, thats why we have parental controls. Plus, as stated its not illegal.

It does depend on what type of porn though.
Certain types should not only be shut down, but go after & prosecute those responsible.
(Im not talking about typical porn stuff, I mean the sickos out there & the illegal type)

Things like that, no issues or complaints here.

Just don't block something because you disagree or dont like it.



And Im sorry ... but downloading Copyrighted materials against the law, is NOT by any means "File Sharing" nor can it be classified as such.
Its "stealing" plain and simple. Those who try to make a case otherwise are only fooling themselves.

"File Sharing" would be sharing non-copyrighted things such as photos etc, files between friends & family for example.

Making copies of a Game, or BluRay Disc to mass distribute to the world is stealing, NOT File Sharing.
2 totally differnt things.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #36
geekfreak

Win 7 X32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Al Fairclough View Post
I wish people would spend a fraction of the time spent to police child pornography networks, rather than making millionaires more money. Somewhere along the line our values have been skewed, when we are more concerned with intellectual property rights than child porno and the trafficing of children.
amen to that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #37
kodi

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
What a law like this will do if used properly is stop know illegal web sits.
The problem is that it won't.
Some ISP's in Australia did a trial and within hours there was a workaround posted on the web, so the whole trial fell flat on it's backside.
The same thing will happen in the USA
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #38
geekfreak

Win 7 X32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
It does depend on what type of porn though.
Certain types should not only be shut down, but go after & prosecute those responsible.
(Im not talking about typical porn stuff, I mean the sickos out there & the illegal type)

Things like that, no issues or complaints here.

Just don't block something because you disagree or dont like it.
you do know you contradict yourself right? rather we like or don't like a certain type of porn it still is a matter of personal expression, therefore protected by our right to free speech. i will agree there is a lot of porn out there that i would love to see banned, but i will not infringe on someones right to free speech.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #39
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by geekfreak View Post
the isp has no idea when you do or don't use a ip chsanger, so the are s*** out of luck.
But how do you get to the site used to change your IP address?

At the end of the day, if the request for data leaves your computer and arrives back at your computer...your ISP knows about it. It's possible to put the pieces back together if need be. It would involve the cooperation of various parties, but it's entirely possible. It just really cracks me up when people go through these anonymizers, proxies and IP changers fully believing that they have positively hidden their identity.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #40
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

The way I see it is that the US has no right to block any website on the web (Though as stated there are plenty of websites out there that need action taken against the creators).

Pirating wouldn't be so bad if we were not being charged out our *** for everything. Adobe's Photoshop and Microsoft Windows is a good example. If I choose to take a not-so-legal course of doing things with software, that is my decision. I will face any consequences I am punished with. (I didn't admit to pirating, nor do I condone it. I am only saying it is my choice if I want to since it will be I who face the consequences).

I have no intent to join this little debate that has been pointlessly played out on this thread by multiple people defending their views as we all have our own views regarding this, and we cannot change the other persons view.

In the end, the debate about this being a good or bad thing is pointless since no matter what your views are, it is not your choice if this bill will pass or fail.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 New Bill Would Require U.S. ISPs to Block Pirate Sites




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I block facebook popups in every web sites?
How do I block facebook windows popups in every web sites. http://s27.postimg.org/6hmj707lv/koiza.jpg
Browsers & Mail
How do i block HTTPS access to Social networking sites
I am trying to block HTTPS access to social networking sites at work. the web filtering service we use is barracuda but they are not configured to block HTTPS only HTTP sessions.(unless they can, but we have not figured it out yet). is it possible to block access via group policy in Active...
System Security
Virgin: First UK ISP to block Pirate Bay
Virgin Media is first UK ISP to block The Pirate Bay - The Inquirer Now I'm not that bothered about this, but how come our government can't jump on kiddie porn websites so quickly??
News
Can I block sites between certain times?
Hello I have just got a new laptop with Windows 7 and IE8 to write up my thesis. Trouble is, I know I am easily distracted by certain websites and I want to remove the temptation to visit them while I should be working. I can't completely disable the internet since I need to be able to search...
Browsers & Mail
How do I block sites from accessing IIS webserver
Hi guys Not sure if question should be here or in Networking Is there a way of BLOCKING some incoming sites from possibly accessing your web servers. Note this is for a HOME webserver with a bog standard home router -- so no corporate type of hardware firewall etc. Using W7 X-64 build...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:38.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App