Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New Bill Would Require U.S. ISPs to Block Pirate Sites

26 Sep 2010   #51
geekfreak

Win 7 X32
 
 

the free flow of info will not be blocked, one way or another people will get to the sites they want. in a nutshell "there has never been a lock made that can't be picked"


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Sep 2010   #52
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
it is not your choice if this bill will pass or fail
In America, that's a problem in and of itself.

Listen to the good Colonel. As I said before, the fact that this bill would be largely ineffective means that all it really does is open the door to full censorship. I can't help but notice that every way y'all have suggested that the gov't could prevent people from bypassing the filter would require them to take even MORE control over everything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #53
Robert Cartman

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 

Illegal file sharing born with PCs. In the old times when there was no internet and copmuters, people made illegal copies of books, pictures, and everything that has a great value.
They can stop all the warez sites or turn off the whole internet, but they can not stop people to share softwares. (There are already exits several big groups that exchanging stafs on HDDs or private LAN parties.)
It would be intresting to know how much percent of the traffic made by illegal and legal transactions. I think if there were no warez on the net, we would be still using slow dial up connections.
One more intresting question is, what do you think about people who has more then 10GB monthly traffic? Don't tell me that they download every month 10gigs of freeware
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Sep 2010   #54
ken9122

Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
I used to work for a member of Congress. This bill would not be used to take down just pirate sites. It could be used to shut down any site that the U.S. says violates U.S. Code Title 17, which includes U.S. government works, questions of fair use, etc. It also means the U.S. gov't. could shove its nose into ICANN and start dictating who gets domains and who gets them taken away. It means taxpayer dollars could go to public lawyers on behalf of private companies who seek private damages. It means ISPs are under more control of the federal government. This kind of bill was shot down a few years ago. Now there's a president and Congress who salivate at having this kind of control. Trust me, I've worked with these people - they eat this *bleep* up.

Not a fan of piracy, I'm not a black helicopter guy, but I'm not a fan of this particular bill.

+1
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #55
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
In a perfect world that may be a valid path for everyone but not everyone can use other programs such as gimp as effectivly as they can Photoshop. There lies the problem.
Well, I would have to assume that at the start, they had to spend the time to learn how to use Photoshop. Perhaps they could also spend some time and learn something else. It's entirely possible. Maybe they don't want to bother with learning...and if learning is that difficult for them...they could just pay for Photoshop.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
But there are others, like Elements that offers most of the core functions for $100 or less.
There certainly are others. But lots of people don't want to settle for less functionality and just pirate the full Photoshop

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by geekfreak View Post
the free flow of info will not be blocked, one way or another people will get to the sites they want. in a nutshell "there has never been a lock made that can't be picked"
Sure, but look at it this way. Let's say that you work for a company and they keep all of the software in a broom closet. Let's say the closet is not locked. Let's say that there are no security cameras or people around. So, an employee could now wander into the room, take the software off the shelf, shove it in their backpack and wander out the door. So, now the company finds that people are stealing software so they put a lock on the door. So, this cuts down on some of the people who aren't going to resort to lock picking. Will it stop everyone...perhaps not. Maybe that guy who has a master key or who might wander in while the cleaning crew has the door unlocked...might not be stopped. So, now the company installs cameras...so not only do you have to get past the lock, you have to get past the camera or explain your actions. This stops more of the theft...perhaps not 100% of it...but quite a bit of it. Would you simply just recommend leaving that door unlocked since it won't stop the most adamant of thieves????
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #56
Product FRED

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Product FRED View Post
Pirating is sharing files. So essentially, one would have to disable copy and paste, click and drag, uploading and downloading.
pirating is not "sharing" files. It's sharing files that are not legal to share...there is a really big difference here.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Product FRED View Post
Sidenote, torrenting is much more efficient than traditional downloading since it puts a small load on several clients rather than a large load on a single server.
Yes, torrenting is more efficient. Nobody said, "they are going to block torrents". I torrent Linux distributions all of the time because it's the fastest way for me to do it. And going forward, this torrenting would be allowed without question. However, if you are torrenting something like PhotoShop, Microsoft Office of Illustrator....then this is something altogether different.
Ok what I meant was that sharing certain files iss essentially pirating. There is no way they can filter all files being transfered around. Pirating has existed since before the internet. The internet just makes it easier.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #57
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Robert Cartman View Post
They can stop all the warez sites or turn off the whole internet, but they can not stop people to share softwares. (There are already exits several big groups that exchanging stafs on HDDs or private LAN parties.)
Sure, they can always trade software in other ways. But I'd bet dollars to donuts that most people don't get their software by swapping around hard drives from friend to friend and making a big collection.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Robert Cartman View Post
One more intresting question is, what do you think about people who has more then 10GB monthly traffic? Don't tell me that they download every month 10gigs of freeware
I'm not entirely sure you could effectively prove that argument. For example, I download Linux distros pretty frequently. I also stream movies from netflix to my tv. In addition, I download video game demos on both my PC as well as my Xbox360 on a monthly basis. Some people buy a fair amount of music from iTunes. Don't forget about services like Hulu and whatnot that let you catch up with TV that you might have missed. There are lots of other high bandwidth things that that you can do with your computer. I wish I could get my ISP to provide me with monthly totals for the past 4-5 years. We could see exactly what a person who doesn't really pirate anything does bandwidth wise.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #58
s31

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kodi View Post
To an Australian this has been done to death, we have been talking about this for a very long time when the Government tried to implement a filter to stop these sights.
um no, that was to block child pornography and RC content.

the aussie filter is dead, it wont pass anyway..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #59
geekfreak

Win 7 X32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
In a perfect world that may be a valid path for everyone but not everyone can use other programs such as gimp as effectivly as they can Photoshop. There lies the problem.
Well, I would have to assume that at the start, they had to spend the time to learn how to use Photoshop. Perhaps they could also spend some time and learn something else. It's entirely possible. Maybe they don't want to bother with learning...and if learning is that difficult for them...they could just pay for Photoshop.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
But there are others, like Elements that offers most of the core functions for $100 or less.
There certainly are others. But lots of people don't want to settle for less functionality and just pirate the full Photoshop

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by geekfreak View Post
the free flow of info will not be blocked, one way or another people will get to the sites they want. in a nutshell "there has never been a lock made that can't be picked"
Sure, but look at it this way. Let's say that you work for a company and they keep all of the software in a broom closet. Let's say the closet is not locked. Let's say that there are no security cameras or people around. So, an employee could now wander into the room, take the software off the shelf, shove it in their backpack and wander out the door. So, now the company finds that people are stealing software so they put a lock on the door. So, this cuts down on some of the people who aren't going to resort to lock picking. Will it stop everyone...perhaps not. Maybe that guy who has a master key or who might wander in while the cleaning crew has the door unlocked...might not be stopped. So, now the company installs cameras...so not only do you have to get past the lock, you have to get past the camera or explain your actions. This stops more of the theft...perhaps not 100% of it...but quite a bit of it. Would you simply just recommend leaving that door unlocked since it won't stop the most adamant of thieves????
i state again the real issue is not the copyright holders, our gov wants this so they can in a way go back to pre-internet. our government can't get away with half of what they use to because of an open internet. stop trying to make this new law only about the copyright holders, because it is not. and yes because the info needs to flow freely to protect peeps freedoms this is one door that should stay unlocked.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2010   #60
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by geekfreak View Post
i state again the real issue is not the copyright holders, our gov wants this so they can in a way go back to pre-internet. our government can't get away with half of what they use to because of an open internet. stop trying to make this new law only about the copyright holders, because it is not. and yes because the info needs to flow freely to protect peeps freedoms this is one door that should stay unlocked.
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I however don't think this is a conspiracy ploy by the government to prevent the spread of information. Sorry, I just don't think that's what is going on here. I realize that I could be wrong.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 New Bill Would Require U.S. ISPs to Block Pirate Sites




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I block facebook popups in every web sites?
How do I block facebook windows popups in every web sites. http://s27.postimg.org/6hmj707lv/koiza.jpg
Browsers & Mail
How do i block HTTPS access to Social networking sites
I am trying to block HTTPS access to social networking sites at work. the web filtering service we use is barracuda but they are not configured to block HTTPS only HTTP sessions.(unless they can, but we have not figured it out yet). is it possible to block access via group policy in Active...
System Security
Virgin: First UK ISP to block Pirate Bay
Virgin Media is first UK ISP to block The Pirate Bay - The Inquirer Now I'm not that bothered about this, but how come our government can't jump on kiddie porn websites so quickly??
News
Can I block sites between certain times?
Hello I have just got a new laptop with Windows 7 and IE8 to write up my thesis. Trouble is, I know I am easily distracted by certain websites and I want to remove the temptation to visit them while I should be working. I can't completely disable the internet since I need to be able to search...
Browsers & Mail
How do I block sites from accessing IIS webserver
Hi guys Not sure if question should be here or in Networking Is there a way of BLOCKING some incoming sites from possibly accessing your web servers. Note this is for a HOME webserver with a bog standard home router -- so no corporate type of hardware firewall etc. Using W7 X-64 build...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:41.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App