Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 7 Pricing too high say Dell

02 Jun 2009   #21
Genjinaro

Windows 7 64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Unfortunately , the whole interview doesn't seem to be on that link.

I believe the point Darrell Ward was making is that Dell ( and the other oem's ) need to hit certain retail price points for their products.

You can be sure they have done plenty of research to establish the prices customers will stomach.

They try to reduce the prices of the parts they buy in - by as little as a cent ( they need millions of parts).

An increase in the cost of the o/s - by only a few dollars - means cutomers will get lower spec. machines at those price points.

A greater proportion goes to microsoft - a smaller proportion to the hardware.

Unless, of course, there is a change to the o/s price currently proposed.
My thoughts exactly...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Jun 2009   #22
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ripbox View Post
Fight back at MS and watch them back down!
You know that that probably wont happen right?

Though it would be nice........

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2009   #23
Jon55

Windows 7 64-bit (7127) & Mac OS X 10.5.7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Too much.

This is definitely M$'s downfall.

Can I borrow your time machine so I can see how Windows 7 is "going to cost too much" and see Microsoft's downfall?

Seriously, enough with the sensationalist BS. The sky is not falling. Microsoft will not have a downfall due to a mysterious price that nobody knows yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Jun 2009   #24
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jon55 View Post
Can I borrow your time machine so I can see how Windows 7 is "going to cost too much" and see Microsoft's downfall?

Seriously, enough with the sensationalist BS. The sky is not falling. Microsoft will not have a downfall due to a mysterious price that nobody knows yet.
Hmmm..... well allow me to rephase my statement.....

What I meant by downfall is that it was their flaw. They know they are the leading market share (around 90% i think) and so set their prices to whatever they want. In my opinion, it is too much. I do not believe, however, that it will break the company. I love their OSs, not so much office, but I do like their products. I just think that they are overpricing in their reign. I myself moved over to OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite, the free alternative to M$ office, because of their pricing on it.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2009   #25
PhreePhly

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Hmmm..... well allow me to rephase my statement.....

What I meant by downfall is that it was their flaw. They know they are the leading market share (around 90% i think) and so set their prices to whatever they want. In my opinion, it is too much. I do not believe, however, that it will break the company. I love their OSs, not so much office, but I do like their products. I just think that they are overpricing in their reign. I myself moved over to OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite, the free alternative to M$ office, because of their pricing on it.

~Lordbob
You're kidding right? MS Office 2007 Home and Student 3-License Pack for $90.00 is too much? see Newegg.com - Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 Licensed for 3 PCs - Business & Finance

I'm stil trying to figure out how you decide that the OS pricing is too high? You don't know what it will be, all we have is a rant by Dell (who never pays what we pay for the OS, they are probably getting the cheapest price by far for OEM copies).

I think it was Jimbo who commented that the vast majority of users get their OS from the system when they buy a new computer. Very few folks go and buy an OS to upgrade anymore. That ended with Win 95. You stated above, or on another thread, a price you would be willing to pay. What was that price and why that amount? I'm not trying to be a dick, really, I am genuinely curious.

I've come up with a high price of about $250-$300 for Pro for me. I'm not interested in Ultimate, so Pro will be my version to purchase. I expect to run Win 7 for the next 3 years of so. I will operate my PC everyday, or pretty close to that for those three years. That's $85 -$100 a year for the core software to make my PC run. I pay that almost monthly for my DirectV hookup, and half that monthly for my internet.

PhreePhly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2009   #26
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PhreePhly View Post
You're kidding right? MS Office 2007 Home and Student 3-License Pack for $90.00 is too much? see Newegg.com - Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 Licensed for 3 PCs - Business & Finance

I'm stil trying to figure out how you decide that the OS pricing is too high? You don't know what it will be, all we have is a rant by Dell (who never pays what we pay for the OS, they are probably getting the cheapest price by far for OEM copies).

I think it was Jimbo who commented that the vast majority of users get their OS from the system when they buy a new computer. Very few folks go and buy an OS to upgrade anymore. That ended with Win 95. You stated above, or on another thread, a price you would be willing to pay. What was that price and why that amount? I'm not trying to be a dick, really, I am genuinely curious.

I've come up with a high price of about $250-$300 for Pro for me. I'm not interested in Ultimate, so Pro will be my version to purchase. I expect to run Win 7 for the next 3 years of so. I will operate my PC everyday, or pretty close to that for those three years. That's $85 -$100 a year for the core software to make my PC run. I pay that almost monthly for my DirectV hookup, and half that monthly for my internet.

PhreePhly
Well, you bring up a great point.
Allow me to elaborate on my position, such as it is currently:
1. I am a student in High School
2. I do not currently have a job
3. My parents are not rich and do not pay for ANYTHING I want, except and allowance of $10 a week. (I would have to pay for everything if I wanted a car, which is why I don't have one)

For me, in my current situation, the OS costs A LOT. For a working adult, it is affordable, perhaps. I will admit that my statement was not fully thought through or researched, and for that I apologize.
The prices are reasonable, just seem like a lot to pay up front. Fully thought through, they are not so bad.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2009   #27
PhreePhly

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Well, you bring up a great point.
Allow me to elaborate on my position, such as it is currently:
1. I am a student in High School
2. I do not currently have a job
3. My parents are not rich and do not pay for ANYTHING I want, except and allowance of $10 a week. (I would have to pay for everything if I wanted a car, which is why I don't have one)

For me, in my current situation, the OS costs A LOT. For a working adult, it is affordable, perhaps. I will admit that my statement was not fully thought through or researched, and for that I apologize.
The prices are reasonable, just seem like a lot to pay up front. Fully thought through, they are not so bad.

~Lordbob
Cool, and I see your point, thank you. Being an enthusiast sucks, because you always want the newest. Definitely look at the OEM and Upgrade versions, as they will save you some cash.

Also, try to get on to that free technet deal going around.

PhreePhly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2009   #28
driecken

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

As if people did not have enough reasons to rip media and upload it, the higher pricing will just drive the amount of illegal copying and sharing of the OS even higher I would imagine.

Considering people that may have bought MS products in the past are ready to go an alternate route, when realizing the pricing hike.

I am not condoning pirating here, just stating a pretty reasonable argument.

I think MS is in a tough position, they spend a lot of money developing the software, the prices have to be set to maintain a certain level of profit, and at the same time fill other dues like employment cost, keeping the lights running , and computers buzzing, production costs, shipping/distribution , advertising...

I see so many MS commercials these days about "im a pc" and ads to compete head on with Apple, I think they spend too much on marketing and not enough on other areas.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2009   #29
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PhreePhly View Post
Cool, and I see your point, thank you. Being an enthusiast sucks, because you always want the newest. Definitely look at the OEM and Upgrade versions, as they will save you some cash.

Also, try to get on to that free technet deal going around.

PhreePhly
Already did, hopefully I can get a Seven Ult license!

And I plan on looking into it. I want to try and get my boss to upgrade to Seven when I comes out (and she will probably listen )

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2009   #30
tw33k

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
I want to try and get my boss to upgrade to Seven when I comes out (and she will probably listen )

~Lordbob
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
2. I do not currently have a job...
3. My parents are not rich and do not pay for ANYTHING I want, except and allowance of $10 a week. (I would have to pay for everything if I wanted a car, which is why I don't have one)

For me, in my current situation, the OS costs A LOT. For a working adult, it is affordable, perhaps. I will admit that my statement was not fully thought through or researched, and for that I apologize.
The prices are reasonable, just seem like a lot to pay up front. Fully thought through, they are not so bad.

~Lordbob
if you don't have a job then how is it that you have a boss?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 7 Pricing too high say Dell




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
dell studio 1558 cpu temperature gets high
I have Dell studio 1558 , the CPU temperature gets to 55 without doing many tasks, the fan works and never brings the temperature down,, should i consider changing the fan and heat sink.... any one has a recommendations
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
High CPU Usage on a Dell Latitude E6400
Yes hello. I just created an account here because I require some help. I've been having high CPU Usage lately. Here are my system specs. Dell Latitude E6400 With an Intel Core 2 DUO and it has 2.66GHz processor, with 4GB of Ram, a 250GB HD, it has Intel Family on board Graphics, My programs...
Performance & Maintenance
Curious about RAM pricing...
Hello, I was researching RAM for a build I am planning to buy this Black Friday (Can't wait :D) and I noticed that I found some really cheap RAM and I don't know if this is a unreliable pos, or if this is a genuinely good find. I know that lower CAS latency, higher frequency, and if you want...
Hardware & Devices
Dell Studio 1555 laptop high CPU usage
can anyone suggest me how to deal with high CPU usage how to lower it or keep it minimum ???
Performance & Maintenance
Upgrading and pricing
Hi, I have seen loads of stories since Microsoft announced the pricing for Windows 7 last week and I've read several stories that seem to conflict with each other. The main conflict seem to be over the "No upgrade in Europe" thing. I currently have a machine running Windows 7 RC that was...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App