Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft posts video of customers criticizing OpenOffice

18 Oct 2010   #31
SledgeDG

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Such a sorry move on Microsofts part....Redmond must really feel the heat if they sink so low.
I use MS Office at work and OO on my private machines (and as portable version on my usb stick). Granted those programs are not 100% identical but I for once never came across anything I needed to do and couldn't do that with OO. Document Exchange was never an issue for me as long I saved the OO version in the right format
And then I read
Quote:
opensource is strongly unreliable


no comment

-DG


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Oct 2010   #32
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote:
Document Exchange was never an issue for me as long I saved the OO version in the right format
And then I read
That is only one of the issues. Try editing it and sending it back.
Try doing power user type stuff in either and then try reading and/or converting with the other. You will find that at some point, documents become corrupted.

When people start wanting to do document sharing, this does become a huge issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2010   #33
madtownidiot

 

If that's the case it's purely the fault of microsoft for not making its' office file formats compatible with other software.. because they can't stand any competition
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Oct 2010   #34
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
If that's the case it's purely the fault of microsoft for not making its' office file formats compatible with other software.. because they can't stand any competition
No, it is their software, they can do as they please with it.
They are not obligated to do anything.
It is up to Open Office to do more testing, which I can tell you they don't do enough, before releasing a new version to make sure they the compatibility they are trying to achieve and tout is there.

If I make a product that IS good and some one wants to create compatibility around it. I am not obligated in any way to accommodate them. That is their business.

Open Office would not have as much of a user base without the minimal compatibility that they do have right now. it is still up to them to create it using existing API's etc. otherwise, don't try.

This is not an MS issue, they have every right in the world to say no.
Just as you do, weather to use it or not.

Competition comes more from creating a better product, not from riding the backs and trying to emulate the competition off of their own product.

As an example, let's take Notepad and Notepad++.
Notepad++ is in competition with Notepad, but they did infact make it better.
They did not just try to emulate Notepad, they went beyond it.

Open Office doesn't even attempt to go beyond MS Office, Because they won't and/or can't.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2010   #35
Woz

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Steve Ballmer Signature (jealous???)
 
 

I am a former OOo user. MS pulled me back with the release of Office 2010.

As long as you don't need to share files with people using MS Office, OOo works well. Open an Impress presentation in PowerPoint, you never know what you're going to see. I had problems with nearly all heavily formatted documents when moving between MSO and OOo.

IMO, for the time savings and broad file compatibility, the MS Office Home/Student edition is well worth the cost. I really got tired of having to re-format documents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2010   #36
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Benjamin Hall View Post
4) I'd rather use something that's more reliable than opensource.
So, are you of the opinion that every open source application is less reliable than any commercial application? There are tons of open source applications that are quite superior and much better supported than other paid for third party products. In fact, quite a bit of the Internet infrastructure is built on open source DHCP servers, BIND dns servers, Apache web servers, and Sendmail servers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2010   #37
HJA

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Woz View Post
I am a former OOo user. MS pulled me back with the release of Office 2010.

As long as you don't need to share files with people using MS Office, OOo works well. Open an Impress presentation in PowerPoint, you never know what you're going to see. I had problems with nearly all heavily formatted documents when moving between MSO and OOo.

IMO, for the time savings and broad file compatibility, the MS Office Home/Student edition is well worth the cost. I really got tired of having to re-format documents.
It was worth taking classes just to get the student discount. I start again in January and I have saved lots-o $$$$$ using the discount.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2010   #38
madtownidiot

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Benjamin Hall View Post
4) I'd rather use something that's more reliable than opensource.
So, are you of the opinion that every open source application is less reliable than any commercial application? There are tons of open source applications that are quite superior and much better supported than other paid for third party products. In fact, quite a bit of the Internet infrastructure is built on open source DHCP servers, BIND dns servers, Apache web servers, and Sendmail servers.
No sense in trying to point out misconceptions to someone who's convinced they're right.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2010   #39
lorddenis

 

i wont post wich one is better OpenOffice or MS office i just think that a good product will advertise itself. and MS shuldnt post bad thigs about another products.

and off topic

isnt this against the law ? if im not mistaking in the advertizment i see they arent aloved to say this product is better than the other...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2010   #40
Vertex

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9 Gnome 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lorddenis View Post

isnt this against the law ? if im not mistaking in the advertizment i see they arent aloved to say this product is better than the other...
Well tell that to Apple. Haven't they been making Microsoft operating systems look bad and theirs look good???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft posts video of customers criticizing OpenOffice




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I set up an OpenOffice page like Microsoft Word?
My Microsoft Word trial recently ran out so I started using OpenOffice, which I actually like. The only problem is is that I don't have a margin on OO. Whenever I used MW my printed pages would be indented nicely. I have been getting in trouble with teachers since I am supposed to have 2.5-3 pages...
Software
Microsoft Posts Record Revenues in Quarter
More - Microsoft Posts Record Revenues in Quarter
News
Customers Say Microsoft Office Offers Superior Value to OpenOffice
Source - Customers Say Microsoft Office Offers Superior Value to OpenOffice - Softpedia
News
Microsoft deletes Aussie tech blogger's posts
Microsoft appears to have accidentally deleted six years of blog archives hosted on its free Windows Live Spaces platform belonging to Australian mobile technology evangelist Shane Williamson. Full read: Microsoft deletes Aussie tech blogger's posts - Business - News
News
Microsoft fails its customers after a bad patch.
Source - Microsoft fails its customers after a bad patch - Computerworld Blogs
Chillout Room
HP Recruits Microsoft To Raid Sun's Customers.
Source - Global CIO: Hewlett-Packard Recruits Microsoft To Raid Sun's Customers -- InformationWeek
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App