Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Erodes XP and Vista, Is Close to 20% of the OS Market

09 Dec 2010   #11
Lunarpancake

Windows 8 Professional
 
 

People laugh at XP just starting to decline.


My previous job at a small networking company. Our boss was using Win 2000 up until about 2006. Now he refuses to leave XP for Windows 7.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Dec 2010   #12
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there
I am really lauging now -- remember how people HATED XP when it first came out and was labelled all sorts of things like Windows eXPensive.

Amazing how people suddenly change their tune.

Actually XP served its purpose excellently --time to move on though on though.
It was built on Windows 2000 which really was "The Innovation" -- I suspect Windows 2000 didn't last too long not because of any technical problems but it was the last OS MS made that didn't require activation and so was easily copied or pirated.

The WORST OS by far was Windows NT (Windows NEANDERTHAL or Windows NO THANKS). This was purely designed to keep IT depts in business because this OS was about as USER UNFRIENDLY or USER AGGRESSIVE as you can get.

The cream of OS development was in the EXCELLENT Windows 2003 SERVER -- Windows 7 incorporates a lot of ideas from that OS with a slicker GUI and designed as a Workstation OS rather than a server OS.

Actually slightly OT but runnung W2K3 server as a workstation OS can be really fast -- you need to make some twiddles and switch off some of the server stuff but it just runs BLINDINGLY FAST on even quite modest hardware.

Still W7 deserves its success --I'm a bit pessimistic about the latest trends in moving stuff to the web ("Cloud" computing) and also a trend of paying for Software by USE rather than a one time purchase and install fee.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #13
KazeNoKoe23

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there
I am really lauging now -- remember how people HATED XP when it first came out and was labelled all sorts of things like Windows eXPensive.
Now it can be labeled as Windows eXPired.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Dec 2010   #14
Buck11

Window 7 Home Premium (64bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Update: Windows 7 has now reached 25% and is predicated to break even or surpass XP by December 2011. . .this will be a great day in computing an old and trying system is about to be put to rest.
I installed Windows7 last week, and I still have my XP because I am going to install it on another drive and PLAY GAMES WINDOWS 7 can't play! So much for the new if it can't handle the old IMO. Useless in fact for an UPGRADE! I upgraded my OS so I can't play the games I used to, but at least I have a new OS, right? lol

My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2010   #15
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Buck11 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Update: Windows 7 has now reached 25% and is predicated to break even or surpass XP by December 2011. . .this will be a great day in computing an old and trying system is about to be put to rest.
I installed Windows7 last week, and I still have my XP because I am going to install it on another drive and PLAY GAMES WINDOWS 7 can't play! So much for the new if it can't handle the old IMO. Useless in fact for an UPGRADE! I upgraded my OS so I can't play the games I used to, but at least I have a new OS, right? lol

I disagree.

I wish Windows 8 would include as little backwards compatibility (aside from the essentials) as possible so that they can optimize the OS for x64 programs.
Long past due to ditch the 16bit essence of Windows.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #16
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Buck11 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Update: Windows 7 has now reached 25% and is predicated to break even or surpass XP by December 2011. . .this will be a great day in computing an old and trying system is about to be put to rest.
I installed Windows7 last week, and I still have my XP because I am going to install it on another drive and PLAY GAMES WINDOWS 7 can't play! So much for the new if it can't handle the old IMO. Useless in fact for an UPGRADE! I upgraded my OS so I can't play the games I used to, but at least I have a new OS, right? lol

I disagree.

I wish Windows 8 would include as little backwards compatibility (aside from the essentials) as possible so that they can optimize the OS for x64 programs.
Long past due to ditch the 16bit essence of Windows.

~Lordbob
Hi there
That's NOT going to happen -- the market wouldn't allow it especially these days.

If you can't get people to stop usng XP what chance have you got of getting people to buy a computer which very little of the old stuff will work on.

You can get away with a little of this sort of stuff with say Blu RAY vs Bog standard DVD's but most people still want to be able to play their old DVD's and CD's whatever the new hardware has to offer.

While its inefficient most people DO want stuff that's compatable with their existing hardware --or at least can run on a Virtual Machine or the like.

For TOTALLY NEW and incompatable hardware there will always be some takers but the market would be very small and the costs VERY HIGH.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #17
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Jimbo, I know it won't, but I can hope.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Erodes XP and Vista, Is Close to 20% of the OS Market




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How To Close (But Not Force Close) Program Automatically On A Schedule
not sure if it's possible in Task Scheduler but i really want it to work. Basically I know how to automatically start program in Task Scheduler and how to also force close it. If we want to force close it we just create a .bat file with text like TASKKILL /F /IM "nameofprogram.exe" and schedule to...
General Discussion
Windows 7 overtakes Windows Vista in market share
More - Windows 7 overtakes Windows Vista in market share
News
Windows Gains Market Share, Mac Loses Market Share.....
Source - Windows Gains Market Share, Mac Loses Market Share, Coincidence? | Windows 7 News
News
Microsoft's Windows 7 to be available in market by Dec
Microsoft's Windows 7 to be available in market by December Source
News
How would you market Windows 7?
This week, Microsoft posted two job requests relating to Windows on their careers website. The first is for a technical writer who is interested in helping out millions of Microsoft customers via the Windows Consumer Content Team by writing "friendly, accurate responses for customers to see when a...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App