Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 to be shipped in Europe sans IE

09 Jul 2009   #121
petrossa

vista x64/ win 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wwoods View Post
Honestly, MS should tell the EU to take a flying ****, ship the non IE version. There, no browser......deal with it. MS should NOT be forced to help their competition in any way. Just like if I ran a company, why and the hell would I want to help the competition. let em fail....more $$ for me.

And by looks of things, thats what MS is gonna do, no IE, good on em.....

I am glad that whole EU thing is working out so well for ya.
snipsnipsnip:

But the commission, in a statement, dismissed the offer, saying the move would not further its goal of promoting browsers that compete with Internet Explorer.

Instead, Microsoft and European authorities appear on course for another legal collision over the software maker’s bundling of major applications into Windows, which, according to the research firm Gartner, runs more than 95 percent of computers in the world.

One reason for the quick rejection, according to competition lawyers in Brussels and a commission spokesman, is that the European Commission did not want to repeat a mistake of the first Microsoft case, when it ordered the software maker in 2004 to sell a version of Windows in Europe without its media player.

Microsoft responded by selling its so-called N version of Windows for the same price as its full version, and consumers rejected the stripped-down system. The remedy also did not significantly improve the lot of competing media players. Microsoft said it sold only a few thousand copies of the N version.

This time, the commission has indicated it may want Microsoft to distribute Windows with competing Web browsers preinstalled and then allow retailers and computer makers to decide from a “ballot screen” menu which browsers to install. About 95 percent of computer operating systems are sold preinstalled on new computers.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Jul 2009   #122
petrossa

vista x64/ win 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
You wouldn't want to tangle with her from the sound of it
you ain't kidding:

EU's Kroes says E.ON, GDF breaches were serious | Industries | Industrials, Materials & Utilities | Reuters
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2009   #123
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by petrossa View Post
snipsnipsnip:

But the commission, in a statement, dismissed the offer, saying the move would not further its goal of promoting browsers that compete with Internet Explorer.

Instead, Microsoft and European authorities appear on course for another legal collision over the software maker’s bundling of major applications into Windows, which, according to the research firm Gartner, runs more than 95 percent of computers in the world.

One reason for the quick rejection, according to competition lawyers in Brussels and a commission spokesman, is that the European Commission did not want to repeat a mistake of the first Microsoft case, when it ordered the software maker in 2004 to sell a version of Windows in Europe without its media player.

Microsoft responded by selling its so-called N version of Windows for the same price as its full version, and consumers rejected the stripped-down system. The remedy also did not significantly improve the lot of competing media players. Microsoft said it sold only a few thousand copies of the N version.

This time, the commission has indicated it may want Microsoft to distribute Windows with competing Web browsers preinstalled and then allow retailers and computer makers to decide from a “ballot screen” menu which browsers to install. About 95 percent of computer operating systems are sold preinstalled on new computers.
But of course (and with each decision by the EU's commission this is getting worse) allowing people to choose their browser is fine....except that "commom" computer users might experience consumer fright at a choice of a browser from a list of them. There would have to be explanations and still then people would be skeptical at making such a choice...of course Microsoft could include browsers pre-installed but that adds bloat to the OS and would be unfair to IE because they would be eliminating its chance to be competitive with the other browsers in the list or preinstalled. No matter what EU decides...they have just created a complete mess and the only people it is hurting is the populace of the EU. I wish they would get off their personal vendetta against Microsoft and just let people use the OS as it was meant too
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jul 2009   #124
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane2424 View Post
But of course (and with each decision by the EU's commission this is getting worse) allowing people to choose their browser is fine....except that "commom" computer users might experience consumer fright at a choice of a browser from a list of them. There would have to be explanations and still then people would be skeptical at making such a choice...of course Microsoft could include browsers pre-installed but that adds bloat to the OS and would be unfair to IE because they would be eliminating its chance to be competitive with the other browsers in the list or preinstalled. No matter what EU decides...they have just created a complete mess and the only people it is hurting is the populace of the EU. I wish they would get off their personal vendetta against Microsoft and just let people use the OS as it was meant too
When do you think "common sense" will play a role in all of this? NEVER! is just one simple word! Aristocratic Burocratic "erragance" would be one definition that some would apply to the EU!

Like any other global competitor taking on a union this will have it's own life for years to come. Apparently the EU's idea is to have a Windows that comes with nothing in it besides a bare OS where European software companies can then sell separate programs in each catagory. Plus the EU gains a control over the average user in a sense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2009   #125
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
When do you think "common sense" will play a role in all of this? NEVER! is just one simple word! Aristocratic Burocratic "erragance" would be one definition that some would apply to the EU!

Like any other global competitor taking on a union this will have it's own life for years to come. Apparently the EU's idea is to have a Windows that comes with nothing in it besides a bare OS where European software companies can then sell separate programs in each catagory. Plus the EU gains a control over the average user in a sense.
You know with all of the hardships Microsoft has dealt with when dealing with the EU...I would (and please forgive me all of my fellow friends here on Win7Forums who are under their leadership), if I was Microsoft, have pulled Windows out of the EU. The only thing keeping them there is the sales and userbase. Microsoft has paid out their ass in "fines" to them regarding cases involving Monopolies, WMP, IE...If they did indeed pull Windows out of there than I am sorry all of you guys who live in the EU and as far as their "commission" is concerned...go **** yourselves...I am tired of seeing you screwing the **** out of your people and I hope that if any reelection occurs than it ends with the door hitting you in the ass on the way out

PS I apologize for the excessive slang...I am not normally this way but it boils my blood to see organizations hurt the people to just further their own agendas'
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2009   #126
petrossa

vista x64/ win 7 x64
 
 

Do you all have stock in MSFT? They choose voluntarily to sell goods on the EU market. If you want to do that you have to follow the rules of that market. If you don't you get sanctioned.

The EU has it's eyes on MS since about 1999, gave them lot's of leeway, tried reasoning with them. Took them on their good faith in 2004 and got screwed as a result.

So now they've had enough and they put their foot down.
Play by the rules or suffer the consequences.

What's so hard to understand here?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2009   #127
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

I think we all get the drift on that when simply looking at how long this has been going on to start with. The plight against MS could also apply to other softwares as well as other OSs when you stop and think that some of the more popular programs will have and note the "will have" a few more features then the next.

Does that mean one software company that sells a dvd burning program with a few additional features is next in line? "Gee? if you include the photo snap option in ... blah blah blah we will fine the living daylights out of you!" bunk from EU!

The best description probably goes as "software dictatorship"! The big fuss is over one company and "their own" operating system that "just happens to be" note widely used being the target for all this. You don't the EU screaming at the ubuntu people for including FireFox or the Knoppix people for including the Konqueror and Ice browsers now do you?

"Well that's iopen source!" No the EU just can't make money through fines from the open source people! But behind closed doors in the EU a subtle whisper goes: "and yes with all the money MS has we can dip our hands into the till... by fines and other..."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2009   #128
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by petrossa View Post
Do you all have stock in MSFT? They choose voluntarily to sell goods on the EU market. If you want to do that you have to follow the rules of that market. If you don't you get sanctioned.

The EU has it's eyes on MS since about 1999, gave them lot's of leeway, tried reasoning with them. Took them on their good faith in 2004 and got screwed as a result.

So now they've had enough and they put their foot down.
Play by the rules or suffer the consequences.

What's so hard to understand here?
Ok...where is the reason in targeting one Manufacture for bundled products and no other? But that's fine...I would toast to Microsoft tomorrow if they pull Windows out of the EU and concentrate on more important matters at hand. This whole deal with the EU has been a phenomenal waste of time (and money based upon suits), lets see their "commission" go cry their asses off on that one

and petrossa...take this as no insult/attack towards yourself
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2009   #129
petrossa

vista x64/ win 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane2424 View Post
and I hope that if any reelection occurs than it ends with the door hitting you in the ass on the way out
No luck there mate. We've just had elections and center/right won overwhelmingly.
Kroes belongs to the liberal corner, so......
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2009   #130
petrossa

vista x64/ win 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post


"Well that's iopen source!" No the EU just can't make money through fines from the open source people! But behind closed doors in the EU a subtle whisper goes: "and yes with all the money MS has we can dip our hands into the till... by fines and other..."
There's a vast gap of knowledge here:

Complaints against EU open source agenda may overlook a policy breakthrough | Tech Policy & Law News - Betanews
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 to be shipped in Europe sans IE




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft: 350 million Windows 7 devices to be shipped in 2012
Read more at: Microsoft: 350 million Windows 7 devices to be shipped in 2012 | Microsoft - CNET News
News
Was shipped 32bit Windows for my 64 bit Laptop
Hello, Earlier this year I purchased an Asus F50S laptop. I love the laptop but I am a bit frustrated that they shipped a 32bit version of Windows with a 64 bit Laptop. I own my own business doing videography work - and I know I am not getting the full performance out of my laptop. What are...
Windows Updates & Activation
Update on Windows 7 in Europe
More...
News
Windows 7 pre-orders big in Europe
Windows 7 pre-orders big in Europe | Beyond Binary - CNET News
News
Europe won't pay more for Windows 7. Really!
Europe won't pay more for Windows 7. Really! Europe won't pay more for Windows 7. Really! • The Register For all the Europeans out there! Cheers! ~Lordbob
News
Information Regarding Windows 7 in Europe
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:43.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App