Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 to be shipped in Europe sans IE

12 Jun 2009   #41
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

The whole IE thing with the EU started because of a complaint from Opera.

What I find unfair is that all the flak has gone to Microsoft for bundling applications with the OS whereas Apple could probably include a copy of iKitcheSink with their Snow Leopard chargeable service pack and no one says anything.

If the EU is going to dictate what is part of the Operating System then they should at least be consistent


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Jun 2009   #42
colwood

Vista Premium x64
 
 

Does this mean IE can not be offered by windows update anymore in europe ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #43
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Interesting point, Nigel.

The EU has already forced MS to remove Media Player from some editions of Windows (the N versions) because others have complained about the unfair advantage MS has with it being included in their OS. True, but nobody is forced to use that - they can download an alternative and use that instead; it is their own choice.

Let's run through this same argument with the inclusion of IE. Again, noone is forced to use IE - there are several other alternatives out there which people can download and use instead. Here lies the crunch, a catch-22 situation. Should the EU force MS to release versions of Windows without IE, just like they have without Media Player (see above), then how do you get online to download an alternative browser?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jun 2009   #44
jfar

Vista Ult64, Win7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Interesting point, Nigel.

The EU has already forced MS to remove Media Player from some editions of Windows (the N versions) because others have complained about the unfair advantage MS has with it being included in their OS. True, but nobody is forced to use that - they can download an alternative and use that instead; it is their own choice.

Let's run through this same argument with the inclusion of IE. Again, noone is forced to use IE - there are several other alternatives out there which people can download and use instead. Here lies the crunch, a catch-22 situation. Should the EU force MS to release versions of Windows without IE, just like they have without Media Player (see above), then how do you get online to download an alternative browser?
Quote:
What this is pointing out is that IE 8 will simply be a separate item manufacturers will have their own option to use or simply toss FireFox, Opera, Chrome, Netscape, Konqueror, or whatever they want on the systems they sell new. The home user that builds their own would download the browser ahead of time to back on removable even before upgrading to 7.
I think they want you to do this. as per Night Hawks post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #45
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Looks like a browser/toolbar will be the order of the day for manufacturers ...

Nice one here
OMG what a real DOGS DINNER of a mess

How could anybody even THINK of working with a screen like that

Nice Pic BTW

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #46
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Hi,
the thing is that MS are not going to remove the network stack from Windows 7 just the HTTP port 80 front end that is IE8. All the other network functionality will have to remain, removing this would cripple the OS. As the stack is still there it would be possible for MS to include a link to download the actual IE on demand. This is the same as torrent, FTP, and eMail Etc. which works without IE. Whether they are forced to also include a link to Opera will remain to be seen.

I guess the fat lady hasn't sung yet, time will tell

The interesting thing is of course that MS has preempted the EU on this as the statement comes from MS not the EU, so I think MS may well have a plan in place for this. A simple tick box that ins on by default during install will keep the EU happy and will be left in place by the majority of installers

I can see the prompt Now ....

Enable Internet browsing?this will install Internet Explorer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #47
jfar

Vista Ult64, Win7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
Hi,
the thing is that MS are not going to remove the network stack from Windows 7 just the HTTP port 80 front end that is IE8. All the other network functionality will have to remain, removing this would cripple the OS. As the stack is still there it would be possible for MS to include a link to download the actual IE on demand. This is the same as torrent, FTP, and eMail Etc. which works without IE. Whether they are forced to also include a link to Opera will remain to be seen.

I guess the fat lady hasn't sung yet, time will tell

The interesting thing is of course that MS has preempted the EU on this as the statement comes from MS not the EU, so I think MS may well have a plan in place for this. A simple tick box that ins on by default during install will keep the EU happy and will be left in place by the majority of installers

I can see the prompt Now ....

Enable Internet browsing?this will install Internet Explorer?
Sounds good, I like it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #48
Boris

W7 64b - Leopard 10.6.2 - Ubuntu 10.10 (MBP Snow Leopard 10.6.3)
 
 

Lots of ignorent people here. I wish people would think for they go of and rant...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #49
z3r010

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Lots of ignorent people here. I wish people would think for they go of and rant...
Please explain?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #50
Legacy Code

 

I bet Apple are loving this , isn't snow leopard out soon as well ? not that I'm going to turn to the dark side as id rather have my genitals removed ( along side IE ) than buy a mac lol

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 to be shipped in Europe sans IE




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft: 350 million Windows 7 devices to be shipped in 2012
Read more at: Microsoft: 350 million Windows 7 devices to be shipped in 2012 | Microsoft - CNET News
News
Was shipped 32bit Windows for my 64 bit Laptop
Hello, Earlier this year I purchased an Asus F50S laptop. I love the laptop but I am a bit frustrated that they shipped a 32bit version of Windows with a 64 bit Laptop. I own my own business doing videography work - and I know I am not getting the full performance out of my laptop. What are...
Windows Updates & Activation
Update on Windows 7 in Europe
More...
News
Windows 7 pre-orders big in Europe
Windows 7 pre-orders big in Europe | Beyond Binary - CNET News
News
Europe won't pay more for Windows 7. Really!
Europe won't pay more for Windows 7. Really! Europe won't pay more for Windows 7. Really! • The Register For all the Europeans out there! Cheers! ~Lordbob
News
Information Regarding Windows 7 in Europe
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App