Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 to be shipped in Europe sans IE

12 Jun 2009   #51
Boris

W7 64b - Leopard 10.6.2 - Ubuntu 10.10 (MBP Snow Leopard 10.6.3)
 
 

What is the problem?

Will MS include option to download a browser?
Yes, offcourse!

Tell me please what is the problem? I really dont know. Accept that it seems to be cool to rant againt the EU. Makes me sad, people seem to have no sense of history


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Jun 2009   #52
jfar

Vista Ult64, Win7600
 
 

I think the only one ranting around here is yourself,
Everyone else here is just discussing the issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #53
Boris

W7 64b - Leopard 10.6.2 - Ubuntu 10.10 (MBP Snow Leopard 10.6.3)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jfar View Post
I think the only one ranting around here is yourself,
Everyone else here is just discussing the issue.
Then please educate me and explain what is your problem with this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jun 2009   #54
Legacy Code

 

Boris my problem is that EU bureaucrats are dictating on what i can and cant have on a PC that I'M paying for. Along with other rulings they have made in the past this just exaggerates the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #55
jfar

Vista Ult64, Win7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Then please educate me and explain what is your problem with this?
My problem is that, I don’t think MS should have to go to the lengths
that they are going to, just because some Gob daw in EU says that they cannot ship their Product,
in their Operating System, because it might be unfair to all the
Other companies that have browsers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #56
Boris

W7 64b - Leopard 10.6.2 - Ubuntu 10.10 (MBP Snow Leopard 10.6.3)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Legacy Code View Post
Boris my problem is that EU bureaucrats are dictating on what i can and cant have on a PC that I'M paying for. Along with other rulings they have made in the past this just exaggerates the problem.
The EU (dictators) in this case are representing the european consumers intrest in this case against a monopolist (MS 90%). IE is a free product like all other browsers (for a good reason ).

We geeks have a choice, we know how to install another browser. But I think 90% of the consumer have no clue about other browsers or how to install them. So in this way MS dictates the market. And I, like the EU, think the internet browser is a much to important communication/information tool to leave in the hands of one monopolist.

What annoys me a bit is the fact that most people think that MS main interest is that of the consumer and not their profitmargin. People forget so fast it almost painfull (Vista, IE6).

Competetion brings better and cheaper products. EU promotes this idea, not MS.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jfar View Post
My problem is that, I don’t think MS should have to go to the lengths
that they are going to, just because some Gob daw in EU says that they cannot ship their Product,
in their Operating System, because it might be unfair to all the
Other companies that have browsers.
It is the other way around in my opion.

As discussed above, the EU sees MS as a monopolist in their market and therefore MS should not dictate what the consumer use as browser. I know geeks like us have no problem, but their is a larger issue at stake here.

It not only a question what is fair on other companies, but what is fair for the (average) consumer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #57
jfar

Vista Ult64, Win7600
 
 

So now you will get certain browser companies approaching the likes of dell, and offering them bribes, or little brown envelopes to install their browser in the latest PCs, so now they have taken the choice of what browser to use, and placed it out in the wild which is worse in my opinion, next they will be telling the likes of BMW that they can build their beautiful cars, but you cannot put headlights on them ,"because other companies make headlights and it wouldn't be fair to them now would it".

So where will this all stop, in my opinion there are too many people in the EU
making rules, everyday more new rules, rules rules, there should be a rule made
to stop new rules, that was my rules rant,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #58
antt

Windows 7 build 7100 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Like I was saying before anyone with a system like one with Vista presently on would download the browser of choice including IE 8 before the upgrade took place.

Have a floppy?

Back up a copy of the browser until 7 is up and running on an extra drive or removable media to then install that once 7 is on. In the event that I decide to install XP or Vista at some point IE 8 for each is already backed up on a storage drive here being a time saver and one less item to download through the update process.
I'm interested in how a regular consumer would know to download before they upgrade. All they know is pop in the disc and let it go, it will do all the work of keeping their user files safe. I hardly think that they will know to make a backup of their browser.

I personally think that the removal idea is silly. The public will react negatively when they can't find the big blue 'e' on their desktop, and instead learn that they have to use another browser that is completely new to them. They aren't going to know that they can download IE8; they will stick with what they've got, and Microsoft will take the fall for it. Not the EU.
What the public needs is education. Some don't know what an internet browser is. They just know it as 'the internet', and they click on the blue e. The EU's previous idea of a ballot system may be a better alternative, listing several different browsers with the ftp link to each. However, this can also cause discrimination. Why should Opera and Firefox be on the list if Lynx or JoeBloeBrowser can't?
Keep IE. But make the first startup show an educational page detailing what a browser is, and acknowledge that an internet search (not google search) can be used to find them. An educated person can make an informed decision. If they choose to keep IE, so be it.
You dont make sense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #59
Boris

W7 64b - Leopard 10.6.2 - Ubuntu 10.10 (MBP Snow Leopard 10.6.3)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jfar View Post
So now you will get certain browser companies approaching the likes of dell, and offering them bribes, or little brown envelopes to install their browser in the latest PCs, so now they have taken the choice of what browser to use, and placed it out in the wild which is worse in my opinion, next they will be telling the likes of BMW that they can build their beautiful cars, but you cannot put headlights on them ,"because other companies make headlights and it wouldn't be fair to them now would it".
I will take your example to explain a bit further how I think you have to look to the other side of the problem:

If BMW had 90% of the car market and the would dicide to put in crap brakes on all their models. Would you like to have the option to have good quality brakes installed as an option (for free)? Or would you buy an Mac Lada instead?

The basic idea in capitalism is when you have none or little competion in a market, the goverment has to regulate otherwise you get a situation that is more alike to communisme
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #60
jfar

Vista Ult64, Win7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I will take your example to explain a bit further how I think you have to look to the other side of the problem:

If BMW had 90% of the car market and the would dicide to put in crap brakes on all their models. Would you like to have the option to have good quality brakes installed as an option? Or would you buy an Mac Lada instead?
Exactly as you say about the example
MS puts in their "crap brakes" = IE, in all their Operating Systems as standard, and everybody has the option to change their "brakes"/IE
if they so choose, and they do, every day of the week they are changing their browsers, so there is no problem with MS putting in IE into Their
Operating System, and if people dont like, it they can change it to
what ever browser they like, as many times as they like.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 to be shipped in Europe sans IE




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft: 350 million Windows 7 devices to be shipped in 2012
Read more at: Microsoft: 350 million Windows 7 devices to be shipped in 2012 | Microsoft - CNET News
News
Was shipped 32bit Windows for my 64 bit Laptop
Hello, Earlier this year I purchased an Asus F50S laptop. I love the laptop but I am a bit frustrated that they shipped a 32bit version of Windows with a 64 bit Laptop. I own my own business doing videography work - and I know I am not getting the full performance out of my laptop. What are...
Windows Updates & Activation
Update on Windows 7 in Europe
More...
News
Windows 7 pre-orders big in Europe
Windows 7 pre-orders big in Europe | Beyond Binary - CNET News
News
Europe won't pay more for Windows 7. Really!
Europe won't pay more for Windows 7. Really! Europe won't pay more for Windows 7. Really! € The Register For all the Europeans out there! Cheers! ~Lordbob
News
Information Regarding Windows 7 in Europe
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:40.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App