Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Apple takes a few shots at Windows during WWDC09

21 Jun 2009   #81
rcocchiararo

many
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PhreePhly View Post
Given that the internals (the actual part that makes the notebook run) of the MacBook are of no better quality than the competing Dells, Toshibas, Sonys or HPs, the only thing that the Macs have is a pretty shell. It is pretty, and quite sturdy, but don't tell me that the internals are any better, and that's what matters.

PhreePhly
lcd panel is still internal, and i (again I, myself), havent seen a notebook with the same quality LCD my mbp has (the one on my old macbook white was like the ones on regular notebooks tho).

its like an S-IPS from my dell 20 inch LCD fitted into a macbook, and the rest of the notebooks look like cheaper panels like those 2ms refresh gaming lcds with awfull viewing angles.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Jun 2009   #82
PhreePhly

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jw12345 View Post
I don't really disagree too much with anything in your post two above.

But my point with the business and consumer readiness for Vista was just that it's unfair to criticize Apple for cutting support for pretty old computers, while Vista effectively cut support for nearly all their computers. I think both were justified.

Apple with the PPC chips were ridiculous. In fact, Apple of the 90s and early 00s was ridiculous. But ever since the iPod and the intel transition, they've seemed to have gotten their head on straight. Both Apple and MS have histories plagued by stupidity and anti-competitiveness.

I really like both companies and the work they put out. But since this thread has members crapping on Apple, I'm just trying to point out MS has done similar things many many times before.

But I don't think internals are all that matter. The internals are vital, like the engine and transmission, but past a certain point, it's all about comfort to the user. Light thin laptops are simply more pleasurable to use and handle, PC or Mac. Especially to somebody like me, who is a power user in how much I rely on computers for work and do tons of scripting and 'advanced features', but the things I do aren't resource intensive.

But this really isn't a Mac vs PC debate. It's a debate on if Apple is being unfair and deceitful to little ol' innocent Microsoft.
I think anyone with a bit of technical knowledge can see the dishonest nature of Apple's spots. In fact, a few of the early ones were banned in Britain due to their less than truthful claims.

PhreePhly

EDIT: I said that "I'm a Mac" commercials were banned, which is incorrect. Only certain G5 and iPhone commercials have been banned. But the point stands that they stretch the the truth so far, that it has broken a few time.

I don't think MS has had an ad banned for false claims.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2009   #83
PhreePhly

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rcocchiararo View Post
lcd panel is still internal, and i (again I, myself), havent seen a notebook with the same quality LCD my mbp has (the one on my old macbook white was like the ones on regular notebooks tho).

its like an S-IPS from my dell 20 inch LCD fitted into a macbook, and the rest of the notebooks look like cheaper panels like those 2ms refresh gaming lcds with awfull viewing angles.
Sorry, but the upgraded LCD in the Dell Studios are actually better than the current MacBooks. The rgbLED in the Studio XPS 16 is even better than that.

No, Apple dosn't even have the LCD edge, anymore.

PhreePhly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jun 2009   #84
rcocchiararo

many
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PhreePhly View Post
Sorry, but the upgraded LCD in the Dell Studios are actually better than the current MacBooks. The rgbLED in the Studio XPS 16 is even better than that.

No, Apple dosn't even have the LCD edge, anymore.

PhreePhly
thats why i said I havent seen them :P

i have never seen a dell studio, exept in their web, and they look damm nice.

besides color representation, how are the viewing angles ?

the "new" generation of macbooks pro suposedly have an upgraded panel, but i havent seen those either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2009   #85
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jw12345 View Post
I don't really disagree too much with anything in your post two above.

But my point with the business and consumer readiness for Vista was just that it's unfair to criticize Apple for cutting support for pretty old computers, while Vista effectively cut support for nearly all their computers. I think both were justified.

Apple with the PPC chips were ridiculous. In fact, Apple of the 90s and early 00s was ridiculous. But ever since the iPod and the intel transition, they've seemed to have gotten their head on straight. Both Apple and MS have histories plagued by stupidity and anti-competitiveness.

I really like both companies and the work they put out. But since this thread has members crapping on Apple, I'm just trying to point out MS has done similar things many many times before.

But I don't think internals are all that matter. The internals are vital, like the engine and transmission, but past a certain point, it's all about comfort to the user. Light thin laptops are simply more pleasurable to use and handle, PC or Mac. Especially to somebody like me, who is a power user in how much I rely on computers for work and do tons of scripting and 'advanced features', but the things I do aren't resource intensive.

But this really isn't a Mac vs PC debate. It's a debate on if Apple is being unfair and deceitful to little ol' innocent Microsoft.
Just so you are aware (and because I started the thread), I have nothing against Apple, nor am I crapping on them.
My intention was to point out that Apple likes to crap on M$. Is this fair? Are they right? That is part of this thread.

Most here seem to think that the Apple commercials are lying, or at the very least stretching the truth (almost to breaking). Perhaps it is true, perhaps it is not.

What is clear, is that Apple has the edge in Media (including portable music players), but not much else. I think my laptop has a very nice screen, though I don't know how good a mbp is. I just compared the 13" MBP laptop, which was priced (base) about the same as the laptop I just bought. The MBP 13" had no dedicated graphics, a 2.4 GHz CPU (same as me), a 100 gig HDD, 2 gigs of RAM. Mine has a 17" screen, NVidia 9600M 512, 2.4 GHz CPU, 250 gig HDD, 4 gigs of RAM. I also believe that the quality of the notebook is just as good, if not better, as an Apple MacBook Pro.

The fact stands that Apple is losing the Hardware edge in POWER. NOT performance. The reason for that is because their Hardware is SO limited. They did that because they narrowed it down to sell only what works best with their Software. Becuase they build all their computers (and don't let 3rd party manufacturers in) they can control that much better. If they did what M$ did, their computers would be more expensive...........

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2009   #86
John Henry

Win 7 RC 64bit b7229
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Just so you are aware (and because I started the thread), I have nothing against Apple, nor am I crapping on them.
My intention was to point out that Apple likes to crap on M$. Is this fair? Are they right? That is part of this thread.

Most here seem to think that the Apple commercials are lying, or at the very least stretching the truth (almost to breaking). Perhaps it is true, perhaps it is not.

What is clear, is that Apple has the edge in Media (including portable music players), but not much else. I think my laptop has a very nice screen, though I don't know how good a mbp is. I just compared the 13" MBP laptop, which was priced (base) about the same as the laptop I just bought. The MBP 13" had no dedicated graphics, a 2.4 GHz CPU (same as me), a 100 gig HDD, 2 gigs of RAM. Mine has a 17" screen, NVidia 9600M 512, 2.4 GHz CPU, 250 gig HDD, 4 gigs of RAM. I also believe that the quality of the notebook is just as good, if not better, as an Apple MacBook Pro.

The fact stands that Apple is losing the Hardware edge in POWER. NOT performance. The reason for that is because their Hardware is SO limited. They did that because they narrowed it down to sell only what works best with their Software. Becuase they build all their computers (and don't let 3rd party manufacturers in) they can control that much better. If they did what M$ did, their computers would be more expensive...........

~Lordbob

Note that MBP has 1280x800 pixel resolution, it's pretty nice for a such small screen. Wha res does your laptop have?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2009   #87
Slimy

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by John Henry View Post
Note that MBP has 1280x800 pixel resolution, it's pretty nice for a such small screen. Wha res does your laptop have?
1280 x 800 is pretty much standard for 13 inch and up. Laptop i just bought is at that resolution and it's a 13 inch.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2009   #88
John Henry

Win 7 RC 64bit b7229
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slimy View Post
1280 x 800 is pretty much standard for 13 inch and up. Laptop i just bought is at that resolution and it's a 13 inch.
I just remember my 3 years old laptop i sold. it was 15,4" and had the same maximum resolution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2009   #89
PhreePhly

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by John Henry View Post
I just remember my 3 years old laptop i sold. it was 15,4" and had the same maximum resolution.
My 15.4" has a 1680x1050 and this is a 1 year old laptop (manufactured 6/18/2008). The video is crappy, nVidia 8600m GS, but the lcd is awesome.

PhreePhly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2009   #90
John Henry

Win 7 RC 64bit b7229
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PhreePhly View Post
My 15.4" has a 1680x1050 and this is a 1 year old laptop (manufactured 6/18/2008). The video is crappy, nVidia 8600m GS, but the lcd is awesome.

PhreePhly
You have the same res as my 22" LG monitor!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Apple takes a few shots at Windows during WWDC09




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Apple takes covers off iPad 2
Source: Apple takes covers off iPad 2 - Hardware - News
Chillout Room
Smackdown: Windows 7 takes on Apple's Snow Leopard
If the sub title of this one doesn't get your attention nothing will! :D More at: Smackdown: Windows 7 takes on Apple's Snow Leopard
News
Windows 7 6801 Screen Shots
Here ya go (click for larger view) ;)
News
Windows Seven Box Shots Appear
Not sure if these are legit but they look cool. What do you all think? http://static.arstechnica.com/assets/2009/05/windows_7_leaked_boxshots-thumb-640xauto-5182.png http://static.arstechnica.com/windows_7_upgrade_leaked_boxshots.png Are these the Windows 7 retail boxes? - Ars Technica
News
Apple Steve Jobs Takes Leave of Absence
Apple CEO Steve Jobs takes medical leave (AP) by AP: Yahoo! Tech WOW Apple CEO Jobs takes medical leave - U.S. business- msnbc.com :huh: Get well.
News
Windows 7 Multi-Touch: Hi-Res Shots
As noted in a post today about multi-touch functionality in Windows 7, Microsoft has issued a short video showing off these features. I thought you might be interested in some hi-res stills from the video. See more at the source.
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App