Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Your tech career depends on preparing for the cloud

08 Jan 2011   #51
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mr pc View Post
touche - sorta

Android may be an impressive mobile computing option but does it support cross-platform apps from Apple or MS?

As universal and etheral this Cloud gig is, it will still have it's divisions, very competitive and unforgiving divisions.
Is that question rhetorical? Because last time it checked, it supports cross-platform just as well as Windows or Linux. From what I've heard it's a very simple matter to compile an existing Java or Flash program into an Android format. Any platform, including Windows and Linux, usually requires some small amount of modification to make it compatible, although frameworks like Java and Flash offer some simpler solutions.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
You'll be able to go to:
  • Microsoft's "Cloud" and demand an office package and they'll supply MS Office (for a nominal subscription fee).
  • Google's "Cloud" and demand an office package and they'll supply Google Docs (for a nominal subscription fee).
  • Apple's "Cloud" and demand an office package and they'll supply iWorks (for a nominal subscription fee).
You probably won't be able to demand Open Office from any of them.
This is what the problem would be. This is why I said it would be like only being allowed to go to Taco Bell. Maybe a better description would be "You can only go to places that sell tacos." This shift would be in effect saying, "You can't develop or deploy any software for any platform without making a special financial arrangement with the platform creator." It would also create an oligopoly in any software markets (such as office packages) that the platform creators maintain products in. If you recall, Microsoft got in trouble because (among other reasons) it was suspected that they were intentionally making it difficult to install alternative programs (other media players, browsers, etc) on Windows PCs; it didn't matter to the courts that you could simply buy another OS like Mac and get different options.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
My bad explanation/phrasing (one benefits corporations, the other increases the scope of enforcement).
All laws have to be enforced by the Government.

My apologies to anyone offended by my ranting.
Shutting up now.
If you've ever studied American government, you know that the part of our government that is in charge of that enforcement is the executive branch (the White House and the bureaucracy). In that entire branch, the only two people that can really be considered politicians are the President and Vice President, and they don't make the laws (at least they're not supposed to). Congress makes the laws, and if the only people getting more power from the law is the bureaucracy, then the politicians who made the law (Congress) isn't really gaining any power. Basically, enforcement != power. Decision-making authority = power. Neither the DMCA nor the Patriot Act gave the government more decision-making authority. The DMCA has to be enforced mainly by corporations through civil suits, and the Patriot Act increased the ability of the government to collect intelligence (it doesn't really change or increase what they can do with that intelligence).

Disclaimer: The above was not written as any kind of political statement and should not be considered as such. It's a factual analysis of the workings of a legal system, no different that what any school would teach.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Agreed.
However, it's success won't be based on the opinions of rational people (such as SevenForums members).

It will be determined by the success of the slick advertising campaigns.
Can they convince enough ignorant consumers to buy in?

This section will cover most of the screen (with pictures of smiling consumers to make everyone feel comfortable).
"It's so convenient."
"You can store all of your personal data on our servers and access it from anywhere for a small monthly fee."
"Don't worry about security we'll take care of it for you."

ThIs section will appear on the bottom of the screen in 4pt font (for maybe 1 or 2 seconds).
Fine Print:
"We are not responsible for the security of your data."
"We reserve the right to share your data with whomever we see fit."


What you're saying is very true. However, as time goes on, I think we're beginning to talk about different things. I'm not talking about a situation where the line is "You can store all of your personal data on our servers..." I'm talking about a situation where the line is "You have to store all of your personal data on our servers...", because every available OS has gone completely cloud-based and dropped support for local storage. One says "the cloud will be a part of the future", and I agree, it will be probably for a short time. Another says "the cloud will BE the future", and I disagree.

Either way, I think the whole thing is going to fall apart as soon as one hacker or a team of hackers cracks one of the servers and steals 150,000 identities at once, or secretly swipes data to pass on to potential stalkers (for a fee of course).

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Various companies are betting $M that there are enough naive (or stupid) consumers, to make the concept a success.

If that doesn't work they will lobby Congress (and/or clog up the courts) claiming piracy or illegal/unfair trade practices by their non-"Cloud"-based competitors.
Hardly a week goes by without some technology company suing another (IMO, on very tenuous grounds in most cases).
I think it's the non-cloud-based companies that will sue the cloud-based companies first, especially if the cloud-based companies are the ones that Microsoft and Apple that will have the ability to completely close the entire platform with a light switch.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ionbasa View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
It's not dishonest. It's called 'marketing'
agreed, they will try to get the target consumer to buy, it not rely dishonest if the target consumer knows what he/she wants. In other words it good to not be ignorant, eg. you get pulled over for a speeding ticket, the cop asks you do you know what the speed limit was, you say no. He tells you ignorance is not an excuse.
First of all, dishonesty is dishonesty regardless of what anyone else knows. Either way, in this particular case, we are talking about the target consumer not really knowing what he/she wants because the company is not telling the truth. It's like ... buying an iPad because Apple told you (or strongly implied) that it was a microwave, and you needed a microwave. I guarantee you the iPad's impressive sales are not due to a pleasant-sounding name. It's selling well because "large-screen, easy-to-use tablet" (or "giant iPhone" if you're a critic) happens to be something that people want. Using "cloud" in a way that means "hosted services" is fine. Using "cloud" in a way that totally disassociates it with "hosted services", because the public didn't go for "hosted services" and you're just giving it a new name, is false advertising as far as I'm concerned. How would you feel if Microsoft took Windows XP SP1 on stage at CES and said "So today we're going to show this to you, and this is Windows 8, it's an entirely new OS like nothing we've done before"??


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Jan 2011   #52
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Of interest to all industry will be this new era of security in the cloud.
WikiLeaks Imbroglio Renews Focus on Risk Management
I may be in the minority but the concept of the Cloud is good but it's execution and reality scare the hell out of me!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #53
Colonel Travis

Black Label 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mr pc View Post
Will someone be able to use FF in Chrome considering Chrome IS the Browser/OS?
No. You can't do doodly squat unless Google says you can. If George Orwell were alive today he'd be making fun of that company in a book.
I'm not sure how you reconcile that statement with the open platform Android.
Android ain't a defense. That's like saying Cuba is a peachy country because of Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort.

SKorean police say Google collects personal info

Google balances privacy, reach

Personal Information for Thousands Exposed in Google Cache

Google grabs personal information from Wi-Fi networks

Google's Business Reason for Leaving China

Going Public Scrutiny: Google's Unusual IPO Plans Raise Questions

All these and more are exactly why everyone should question the cloud.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jan 2011   #54
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

That is why I say, time to start learning Linux.

Linux is a free OS that can't be contained in such a manner.

If full on Cloud computing does become a reality, Linux will be the only safeguard alternative.

If we as techs must produce a real alternative, it is up to us to make sure that alternative exists and that we can handle supporting it and marketing it.

I am a Microsoft guy only because that is what I really know, and that is what is used most.
I am not afraid to jump ship if need be.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #55
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post

No. You can't do doodly squat unless Google says you can. If George Orwell were alive today he'd be making fun of that company in a book.
I'm not sure how you reconcile that statement with the open platform Android.
Android ain't a defense. That's like saying Cuba is a peachy country because of Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort.

SKorean police say Google collects personal info

Google balances privacy, reach

Personal Information for Thousands Exposed in Google Cache

Google grabs personal information from Wi-Fi networks

Google's Business Reason for Leaving China

Going Public Scrutiny: Google's Unusual IPO Plans Raise Questions

All these and more are exactly why everyone should question the cloud.
I agree with you. But not one of those articles backs up your original statement. Your statement wasn't simply that Google is a potentially dangerous company (if it was, I would've agreed). Yeah, there are serious privacy concerns with Google, but that's a separate issue from whether their platforms are open or closed. Would I trust Google to host my data securely? No. Would I buy an Android device to take advantage of the openness of the platform? Yes. Does that mean my feelings towards Google are positive? No.

Yeah, you can't say Cuba is a peachy country because of its resorts. But you can say it has peachy resorts. Doesn't mean you feel any different about Cuba. You're not obligated to say that Cuban resorts stink just for consistency.

In summary:

Google privacy = bad.
Google openness = good.

Out of all the major companies, I would trust Google the most to refrain from limiting software options on a cloud OS. But I would trust them the least to provide adequate privacy and security.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #56
Colonel Travis

Black Label 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
Your statement wasn't simply that Google is a potentially dangerous company (if it was, I would've agreed).
I didn't say Google is dangerous, potentially or otherwise. I said was that Orwell would make fun of Google. The man wrote a lot more than 1984.

You keep going back to Android, which I never even brought up. I own an Android phone and love it. But Android is 180 degrees from the Chrome OS, which is somewhat Orwellian, which is what I was talking about. It was asked here if you could use FF with Chrome. No. What else can you not do with the Chrome OS?

You can't run programs from your PC if you're offline.
You can't store Chrome data on your PC.
You can't update Chrome OS programs.
You can't install software on a Chrome OS.
You can't even download Android apps and install them on Chrome
You can't do squat with Chrome OS unless Google says you can.

You call that open?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #57
Frank1

Desk Top with Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit and Lap Top with Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
 
 

I've been doing a little reading about this so-called Cloud Computing when a thought occurred to me: Lets say that I subscribe to it and all of my personal data is out there some place. Then let's say that I die (which I will some day). Then let's say that I authorized no one to access my data. What happens to all that stuff out there---somewhere???????
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #58
Colonel Travis

Black Label 7 x64
 
 

That's an excellent question, Frank. Never even thought of that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #59
Buddahfan

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post

I'm not sure how you reconcile that statement with the open platform Android.
Android ain't a defense. That's like saying Cuba is a peachy country because of Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort.

SKorean police say Google collects personal info

Google balances privacy, reach

Personal Information for Thousands Exposed in Google Cache

Google grabs personal information from Wi-Fi networks

Google's Business Reason for Leaving China

Going Public Scrutiny: Google's Unusual IPO Plans Raise Questions

All these and more are exactly why everyone should question the cloud.
I agree with you. But not one of those articles backs up your original statement. Your statement wasn't simply that Google is a potentially dangerous company (if it was, I would've agreed). Yeah, there are serious privacy concerns with Google, but that's a separate issue from whether their platforms are open or closed. Would I trust Google to host my data securely? No. Would I buy an Android device to take advantage of the openness of the platform? Yes. Does that mean my feelings towards Google are positive? No.

Yeah, you can't say Cuba is a peachy country because of its resorts. But you can say it has peachy resorts. Doesn't mean you feel any different about Cuba. You're not obligated to say that Cuban resorts stink just for consistency.

In summary:

Google privacy = bad.
Google openness = good.

Out of all the major companies, I would trust Google the most to refrain from limiting software options on a cloud OS. But I would trust them the least to provide adequate privacy and security.
The same can said for their baseball players and cigars
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #60
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Frank then that would depend on if you've been good or bad. If good then your info goes up to white fluffy heavenly clouds were your information is free to roam and be safe. But if you've been bad then it goes down to a very dirty cloud and your information is then shared with others in the cloud from hell.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Your tech career depends on preparing for the cloud




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
the cloud is not a real cloud - Daily Mail
During all the celeb hysteria about leaked pics a coupla months ago, UK paper the Daily Mail felt the need to explain to readers that the cloud is not an actual cloud. See pic from Surely the Daily Mail canā
Chillout Room
Looking for a career change
Most of my life I've been working in retail. I did my A+ certification in 2005. Recently I've taken my MS Word Advanced and Excel Intermediate from my local college. I would like to work in either an office or IT, but ever since the 90s I have been passionate about computers and technology. If I...
Chillout Room
Career choice, suggestions?
This is the time in a humans life to choose a career path. It's unbelievably hard for me to choose where to go, not due to the amount of choices, but the lack of them. I simply have no idea what I can do. :cry: I'm good at computers, I hope, I sit at one as much as I'm able to. I enjoy it. IT...
Chillout Room
Win7 Partition depends on Vista's one
Hi, I've instaled Win 7 as a second system next to My Vista (both x64). Now I'm emotionally ready to get rid of Vista for number of reasons. Of course Win7 become fully operational and "personalized" system so I don't wont to reinstal Win7...just remove Vista. But my Win7 needs Vista's...
Installation & Setup
IT Career
Hey all! I'm an inspiring IT Technitian (Don't know if i used that the proper way ;)) I can troubleshoot and fix most common PC problems. I just signed up for college at Springfield Technical Community College in Springfield Massachusetts. The course that i plan on taking is Computer Systems...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App