Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Intel Discloses Chip Glitch

02 Feb 2011   #81
mikedl

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

LOL! This is a smaller glitch, I think, than the last intel glitch I experienced in 1994. Takes me back a bit. I still have all of the documents from then.

Intel Discloses Chip Glitch-cci02022011_00000.gif

Remember the old Pentium error in the FPU?

I had couple of Gateway P90's back then and was running AutoCad so the FPU error was a critical one. To intel's credit, they replaced both of my CPU's rather quickly and without fanfare (there was plenty of fanfare in the press ).




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Feb 2011   #82
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

These aren't CPU's fellows there the bridge chips and it's not near as clean. Hundreds of millions will be lost and many unseen issues. Literally entire mobo's will have to come back and be replaced/retro fitted. Intel wishes is was just in the CPU as that would be much cleaner swap/fix.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #83
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
According to Intel it only affects the 3Gbs ports 2-5 and only a 5% chance of a port failure after high usage and heat. So 95% may never have a failure and I bet the Motherboard manufacturers will only replace a FAILED board that is still under warranty. I don't look for a 100% recall on boards that have shipped to customers. They may not even recall the boards at the retailers . Only time will tell on how this will be handled.

Jim
WOW! I was wrong on that call. Looks like a total recall on that chip set. Its good to see Intel step up. From reviews the Sandy Bridge kicks butt and with a price range around $300 and below it is a great deal. Wonder how AMD's Bulldozer will stack up. The only thing I don't like with these new chip sets is they have 6 Sata ports but only 2 at 6Gbs. I am hoping the next chip sets from Intel or AMD will include all ports at 6Gbs, USB 3 support and PCI-e 3.0 support. Thats what I am looking for in my next motherboard.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Feb 2011   #84
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Phone Man, My new MSI 890 board has 6 Sata III ports and 1 Sata II ports internal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #85
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

Phone Man, since you mentioned it, any new info of when (or if) bulldozer is going to come out? They seem to have been putting it off for quite a while. Just curious how they will stack up against Sandy bridge.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #86
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

FYI I read today that the Bulldozers are beginning to ship for a March intro.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #87
mikedl

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
These aren't CPU's fellows there the bridge chips and it's not near as clean. Hundreds of millions will be lost and many unseen issues. Literally entire mobo's will have to come back and be replaced/retro fitted. Intel wishes is was just in the CPU as that would be much cleaner swap/fix.
Indeed, linnemeyerhere, but think of the cost back in 1994 relative to the cost of chips today. This gaffe won't cost intel near as much as the FPU mistake did in today's dollars. It cost them 475 million dollars in 1995 dollars. I doubt this one will realize such figures.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #88
essenbe

Windows 10 Pro/ Windows 10 Pro Insider
 
 

linneymeyerhere, that's good news. I'll wait until march instead of downgrading to an x4 BE. wanna swap?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #89
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I just got my e-mail from MicroCenter explaining the return process, so I'm quite happy at this point. I'll keep using the board for now, and will gladly pop in to the store for my quick replacement some night when available. MicroCenter does it right.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #90
Sardonicus

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
I just got my e-mail from MicroCenter explaining the return process, so I'm quite happy at this point. I'll keep using the board for now, and will gladly pop in to the store for my quick replacement some night when available. MicroCenter does it right.
So does Newegg.
I got a nice email from them plus this link.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Intel Discloses Chip Glitch




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
E6850 3.0ghz intel chip
I was just curious because of my own problem lately and noticing I am by far not alone on the issue it seems to affect multiple motherboards from multiple manufacturers. Anyhow the default multiplier for this chip is supposed to be 9, but it seems a lot of motherboards and systems are...
Hardware & Devices
Intel and a 22nm Chip
Details...
News
Intel's Core i3 chip launch.
Read more - Online retailer jumpstarts Intel's Core i3 chip launch
Hardware & Devices
No Driver for Intel Chip
Hi Guys and galls.. Looks like a bit of an issue with this one, im trialing 7 on an oldish lappy Problem is Intel dont make or support any drivers for their Graphics Chipset 82852/82855 all I have at the moment is VGA.. Tried one driver and just got a BSOD. This is a pretty common...
Drivers
Intel Core i7 chip launches in Tokyo
Irasshaimase! Stores in Tokyo districts such as Akihabara have launched sales of Intel's Core i7 processor, due to be officially rolled out on Monday. Sofmap store in Akihabara is selling boxed Core i7 processors (Credit: Sofmap)The Core i7 represents the vanguard of Intel's new Nehalem...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App