Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 pricing announced - cheaper than Vista‏

25 Jun 2009   #61
apollo911

Windows 7, Vista HP, XP Pro
 
 

Great, but what is the difference between the upgrade and full versions?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jun 2009   #62
jw12345

Windows 7
 
 

Microsoft's in such an awkward position. Microsoft couldn't survive by pricing at Apple's level, because all their money is just from the OS sales and not hardware. I think Apple is trying to force MS's hand - either make MS look out of touch for charging 3-7x as much for an upgrade, or be forced to lower OS price so much as to damage MS's finances (because, of course, it's not like MS is going to be expanding market share with a loss leader OS.)

It's brilliant on Apple's part. Cue the "I'm a Mac" ad in 3...2...1...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2009   #63
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
VAT?

Have to remember that in the US price is BEFORE tax though sales tax is still only anywhere from 0 to 8-9% based on state.
Nope. US still doesn't tax on mail or internet orders.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jun 2009   #64
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jw12345 View Post
Microsoft's in such an awkward position. Microsoft couldn't survive by pricing at Apple's level, because all their money is just from the OS sales and not hardware. I think Apple is trying to force MS's hand - either make MS look out of touch for charging 3-7x as much for an upgrade, or be forced to lower OS price so much as to damage MS's finances (because, of course, it's not like MS is going to be expanding market share with a loss leader OS.)

It's brilliant on Apple's part. Cue the "I'm a Mac" ad in 3...2...1...
Microsoft makes most of their cash on Office. The vast majority of the rest comes from corporate Windows and OEM deals. This is just what Microsoft needs to make some cash on the early adopters who they know are their most influential salesmen. They also keep the Windows 7 "Good Feelings" going by giving us a price break. It's not like Apple and Microsoft are really at each other's throats -- Apple is and forever will be a niche player for the luxury crowd -- and that's a crowd rapidly diminishing in the US due to the economic woes. Microsoft will be seen as the good guy here by putting out 7 at a low price in tough times. No one can really compare the updates between Vista to 7 and Leopard to Snow Leopard with a straight face. So what if it's cheaper? Microsoft's been providing service packs for free forever -- and that's all Snow Leopard is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #65
DJG

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
Nope. US still doesn't tax on mail or internet orders.
It's by state. NY requires tax on internet orders based on certain rules, and some do tax, e.g. Amazon charges NY tax.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #66
jw12345

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
Microsoft makes most of their cash on Office. The vast majority of the rest comes from corporate Windows and OEM deals. This is just what Microsoft needs to make some cash on the early adopters who they know are their most influential salesmen. They also keep the Windows 7 "Good Feelings" going by giving us a price break. It's not like Apple and Microsoft are really at each other's throats -- Apple is and forever will be a niche player for the luxury crowd -- and that's a crowd rapidly diminishing in the US due to the economic woes. Microsoft will be seen as the good guy here by putting out 7 at a low price in tough times. No one can really compare the updates between Vista to 7 and Leopard to Snow Leopard with a straight face. So what if it's cheaper? Microsoft's been providing service packs for free forever -- and that's all Snow Leopard is.
I don't think dropping the price of 7 Home Premium (the consumer version) by $10 is going to keep the good feelings. SL and 7 are about equivalents in their OS families. SL is much more than a service pack, just like Vista was more than a glossy XP and 7 is more than a warmed-over Vista. But Home Premium Upgrade is 4x what SL upgrade is and MS doesn't offer any family packs of upgrades. This is going to cause a problem when a family has 5 computers (not that odd) - MS wants $580 to upgrade, Apple wants $50.

Apple is making a strong play for the mid-range market. A $1000 laptop is not "luxury". The 13" MBP is one of the best notebooks I've ever touched, and is relatively cheap for that sort of construction. And Apple is making a play toward the enterprise, with free exchange support and iPhone business features just being introduced.

What kind of upside down world is this when Apple computer might end up being a huge bargain? I don't think they'll ever win the market like MS has, as desktops and even notebooks as we know them have a limited life, but they're in a position to throw a wrench into MS's gravy train. It isn't all about the facts that MS makes its cash through OEMs and Apple through hardware. MS is just setting themselves up to be played as out of touch.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #67
holo88

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DJG View Post
It's by state. NY requires tax on internet orders based on certain rules, and some do tax, e.g. Amazon charges NY tax.
thats cuz NY taxes the piss out of everything (i hate this state)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #68
djfirestorm

Windows 7 (Build 7068)
 
 

Sill looks like we should bend over and take it in the ***. WAY WAY WAY TOO EXPENSIVE FOR AN OS. Microsoft is only cheap with the upgrade and rapes with the Retail...for one reason: Most people can't use the upgrade because they are using pirated copies...and the irony is the only reason people use pirated copies is because we got raped on the last version of windows. When the F is Microsoft going to learn? If they made it affordable to everyone, they would make double the profit due to people actually buying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #69
Slimy

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by djfirestorm View Post
When the F is Microsoft going to learn? If they made it affordable to everyone, they would make double the profit due to people actually buying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I doubt that. People would still pirate and the select few that would actually go out and buy instead of pirating would not make up the difference in revenue Microsoft would lose by cutting the price.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #70
Baatfam

Windows 7 Profesional 64bit
 
 

So the upgrade is for both 32bit and 64bit on the same disk?
Since the only offer the one, I'm assuming that is the case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 pricing announced - cheaper than Vista‏




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Mistaken Install Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit OEM‏ and already Activated
Dear Seven Forums, I just mistaken install windows 7 Pro 64 Bit OEM CD in customer PC and already activate it. I want to change it with Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit OEM CD(I have the cd and license) and Activate it . The question are : 1. Can I just reinstall the Windows 7 Pro...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Media Player and missing video files‏
OK, I was prompted by Brink to write this post as a result of the thread regarding the tutorial 'How to Restore the Windows 7 Public Folders '. I'm hoping that someone may be able to offer a simple solution. I have set up a number of folders under the Public user in order to hold all my...
Music, Pictures & Video
Windows 7 RTM Announcement‏ e-mail.
I just rechieved this email :) Announcing: Windows 7 Release To Manufacturing It's almost here! We're very happy to tell you that we've hit the last big milestone on the way to Windows 7: release to manufacturing. We're packaging up copies and manufacturers are putting it on new PCs. On...
News
MicroCenter Offers Cheaper Windows 7 Upgrade Option
Micro Center | Microsoft Windows 7 Only available at their 21 US locations. No need to pre-order, just pick up a coupon between Friday June 26 to Sunday June 28 Home Premium for $39.99 Professional $89.99
News
Snow Leopard gets richer, thinner, cheaper than Windows
source: Snow Leopard gets richer, thinner, cheaper than Windows 7 RoughlyDrafted Magazine
News
Windows 7 SKUs announced
Windows 7 SKUs announced: your worst nightmare has come to pass Windows 7 Starter Windows 7 Home Basic (for emerging markets) Windows 7 Home Premium Windows 7 Professional Windows 7 Enterprise Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 7 SKUs announced: your worst nightmare has come to pass -...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:30.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App