Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft Hikes Win7 Prices for Australia

28 Jun 2009   #21
ttremeth

vista
 
 
disgrace

Bit of a disgrace that a country as loyal as us get the shaft yet again. Considering the technology is digital, there is no excuse.

What is it with MS? Do they have ears? Let them hear the millions of people using Ubuntu and the MAC OS...(I still use Vista and RC of Win 7)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Jun 2009   #22
Zirro

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 
Aussie early adopters who promoted win 7

I am very dissappointed with the Australian Win 7 pricing announced so far.

It looks to me like US, Canadian and Japanese early adopters get a very cheap upgrade while we get screwed to subsidise it.

The announced pricing will just encourage Linux and Mac OS development.
MS really know how to shoot themselves in the foot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #23
andych

Windows 7 RTM Ultimate - Activated (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zirro View Post
I am very dissappointed with the Australian Win 7 pricing announced so far.

It looks to me like US, Canadian and Japanese early adopters get a very cheap upgrade while we get screwed to subsidise it.

The announced pricing will just encourage Linux and Mac OS development.
MS really know how to shoot themselves in the foot.
Come on.....seriously. You don't believe for one second that this pricing is going to make a massive change to the number of Linux or Mac users in Australia or anywhere in the world.
For a start the price is nothing compared to having to buy a Mac in the first place and second the majority of "average" PC users in Australia at least would have no idea how to set up Linux to do what they want.

Apart from that...have a look at the Stats graph below (courtesy of Wzor.info)


Attached Images
Microsoft Hikes Win7 Prices for Australia-xp_vista_gpaph.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Jun 2009   #24
tw33k

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andych View Post
Come on.....seriously. You don't believe for one second that this pricing is going to make a massive change to the number of Linux or Mac users in Australia or anywhere in the world.
For a start the price is nothing compared to having to buy a Mac in the first place and second the majority of "average" PC users in Australia at least would have no idea how to set up Linux to do what they want.

Apart from that...have a look at the Stats graph below (courtesy of Wzor.info)
I don't think these ridiculous prices will convert people to macs or linux but it definately will keep people stuck to their XP configurations.
I've been talking to a lot of people and they are all asking the same question "Why would I pay that much? What will I get out of it?" and the answer is pretty much "Nothing". Like I said earlier, their internet works on XP, their email works on XP, their camera/printer/scanner all work on XP. Why would they upgrade? And with these prices??!! No way!!
Most people don't even know what an OS is. Why would they pay hundreds of dollars when what they have works fine.
I'm sooo glad I got a Technet sub. I wouldn't have paid for win7 anyway but at least now I may be able to help a couple of people to upgrade their machines.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #25
andych

Windows 7 RTM Ultimate - Activated (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
I don't think these ridiculous prices will convert people to macs or linux but it definately will keep people stuck to their XP configurations.
I've been talking to a lot of people and they are all asking the same question "Why would I pay that much? What will I get out of it?" and the answer is pretty much "Nothing". Like I said earlier, their internet works on XP, their email works on XP, their camera/printer/scanner all work on XP. Why would they upgrade? And with these prices??!! No way!!
Most people don't even know what an OS is. Why would they pay hundreds of dollars when what they have works fine.
I'm sooo glad I got a Technet sub. I wouldn't have paid for win7 anyway but at least now I may be able to help a couple of people to upgrade their machines.
The ones that are going to want to upgrade (Ma & Pa Machines) are the ones who buy a new PC or Laptop and then want to connect them up to each other and find they can't use Homegroup....so they will ask around and then look at upgrading....hopefully by that time it will be a bit cheaper.
Most of M$ sales initially are going to be on new machines, at least in Countries like Australia where there are no incentive deals to promote upgrading.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #26
darkmax

Windows 7 build 7201
 
 

have you guys ever considered that the difference in pricing may be due to your "local" office? Microsoft Australia has always been known to make their own pricing policies you know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #27
andych

Windows 7 RTM Ultimate - Activated (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by darkmax View Post
have you guys ever considered that the difference in pricing may be due to your "local" office? Microsoft Australia has always been known to make their own pricing policies you know.
And your point is????
It makes no difference if the price level is set from Australia, USA or China, it is still set by Microsoft as they are one in the same.
The bottom line is that it is still more expensive here in relative terms than in other Countries and we do not (as yet) get any special Pre-Order deals.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #28
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

I too find this very un-fair; y'all should have the same pricing as the rest of us, especially the pre-order offers; TechNet is the way to go.




















Later Ted
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #29
themouse

Windows 7 Build 7201
 
 

This technet sub sounds good but......

From what I have been told, you can only use the software as long as yuo have the subscription. If you cancel you are no longer licensed to use it so in others words you have to give it back. One years sub is not going to cut it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #30
andych

Windows 7 RTM Ultimate - Activated (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by themouse View Post
This technet sub sounds good but......

From what I have been told, you can only use the software as long as yuo have the subscription. If you cancel you are no longer licensed to use it so in others words you have to give it back. One years sub is not going to cut it.
Not the case....the keys and software are not time limited in any way.
There is another thread all about Technet....have a look there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft Hikes Win7 Prices for Australia




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Apple, Microsoft, Adobe summoned by Australia pricing inquiry
Source A Guy
News
Microsoft Office 365: More new packages and prices coming in November
Read more at source: Microsoft Office 365: More new packages and prices coming in November | ZDNet
News
Microsoft announces Office 2013 prices and packaging
Read more at source: Microsoft announces Office 2013 prices and packaging | ZDNet
News
NZ, Australia to get Win7 first
The first retail sales of Windows 7 will take place in New Zealand and Australia on 22 October, Microsoft confirmed this week. "Our understanding at this time is that the availability of Windows 7 will 'follow the sun' on Thursday October 22," a Microsoft spokesperson said late yesterday. "As...
News
Microsoft to reveal Window 7 prices in June
Source
News
Are you going to buy Win7 at these Prices
I was hoping that Microsoft would have reasonable prices on Windows 7. These Prices to me are most unreasonable. Pricing Windows 7 Starter $199,95 Windows 7 Home Premium $259,95 Windows 7 Professional $299,95 Windows 7 Ultimate $319,95 Windows 7 Enterprise Unknown Source:win7.in
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App