Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win7 SP1 released to public

24 Feb 2011   #241
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
(Sorry if it's been brought up already)

Having a 32bit system and 4GB of ram installed, I knew that windows wouldn't use my full 4 gigs. On my performance page it would state that I had 4 but told me in brackets (Using 3.25) but I noticed after installing SP1 that it now just says 4GB. I re-ran the performance test and my score jumped up.

Pre Test



Post Test


Is this really possible?
The same thing happens to me long ago with vista sp1
Edit: i found my old thread,read this...
Vista 32bit memory limitation - Vista Forums
<<1084 days ago>> suddenly i realize that i am getting old





My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Feb 2011   #242
Irishman

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by panais View Post
The same thing happens to me long ago with vista sp1
Edit: i found my old thread,read this...
Vista 32bit memory limitation - Vista Forums
<<1084 days ago>> suddenly i realize that i am getting old
Cheers!
Finally using my full RAM without having to install W7 64bit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2011   #243
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by panais View Post
The same thing happens to me long ago with vista sp1
Edit: i found my old thread,read this...
Vista 32bit memory limitation - Vista Forums
<<1084 days ago>> suddenly i realize that i am getting old
Cheers!
Finally using my full RAM without having to install W7 64bit
The benefits from 64bit installation is Not just the <<unlimited>> usage of ram!
Again read this please...
64-bit: More than just the RAM - Vista Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Feb 2011   #244
Irishman

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by panais View Post

The benefits from 64bit installation is Not just the <<unlimited>> usage of ram!
Again read this please...
64-bit: More than just the RAM - Vista Forums
Yea I've had a good read at that before and will install a 64bit system down the line when I upgrade my rig but the ram issue was the only thing that made me think of doing it sooner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2011   #245
F1FAN

Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
 
 

im not a fan of 64bit, it slowed boot up time on my old set up and a few friends said it did the same on there system, plus it used more resources (RAM)

Allthough i could prob now go with 64 now i have quad core, SSD etc..I'm not sure if i want to since i *only* have 4gigs and 64 seems to love taking up RAM, i didn't notice any perfomance benifits either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2011   #246
electrotune1200

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by F1FAN View Post
im not a fan of 64bit, it slowed boot up time on my old set up and a few friends said it did the same on there system, plus it used more resources (RAM)

Allthough i could prob now go with 64 now i have quad core, SSD etc..I'm not sure if i want to since i *only* have 4gigs and 64 seems to love taking up RAM, i didn't notice any perfomance benifits either.
If the RAM is there, it might as well be used right?

You really won't notice any performance benefits untill you start getting into the 6gb of RAM area.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2011   #247
jdcarroll

win7 64bit ultimate
 
 
SP1 install issue

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Maybe before any SP1 install....

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [February 2011]

Download details: System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [February 2011]
SP1 will not install nor will anything else after trying that one. Ran System update readiness tool and it wanted to download and install hotfix KB947821. I downloaded the hotfix but it will not install no matter how long I wait. I tried a system restore and that no longer works either.Any help or ideas would be most appreciated.
JD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2011   #248
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by F1FAN View Post
im not a fan of 64bit, it slowed boot up time on my old set up and a few friends said it did the same on there system, plus it used more resources (RAM)

Allthough i could prob now go with 64 now i have quad core, SSD etc..I'm not sure if i want to since i *only* have 4gigs and 64 seems to love taking up RAM, i didn't notice any perfomance benifits either.
Free RAM is wasted RAM. Windows Vista and later purposely use more RAM than XP and earlier versions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2011   #249
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by panais View Post
The same thing happens to me long ago with vista sp1
Edit: i found my old thread,read this...
Vista 32bit memory limitation - Vista Forums
<<1084 days ago>> suddenly i realize that i am getting old
Cheers!
Finally using my full RAM without having to install W7 64bit
No you are not using the full 4GB, 32-bit systems cannot do that even if SP1 is installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2011   #250
Irishman

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
No you are not using the full 4GB, 32-bit systems cannot do that even if SP1 is installed.

Well that's a buzz killer

I'll be fine with what I've got until I upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win7 SP1 released to public




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to relocate win7 public folders
I am using the method suggested in the Windows 7 Inside and Out book to relocate my user files. All seemed to be fine until I attempt to relocate the 'public music, public pictures, and others' files. The 'location' tab of properties of each public folder will not allow/accept changes to the...
Customization
Win7 starter Public Desktop, where'd it go??
Hi All, What a great forum. I have just started with a Netbook and win7 starter and other than the Wallpaper issues, I have to say I am impressed with what it will actually do rather then feeling forced to upgrade to Home Premium. I can live without the wallpaper, but what has happened to the...
General Discussion
Windows 7 SP1 Public Beta Released
source ... Documentation: Documentation for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Beta (KB976932) See also: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/99064-windows-7-service-pack-1-sp1-beta-uninstall.html
News
IE8 RC1 released to the public
As expected, Microsoft Monday released Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) Release Candidate 1 (RC1) to the public. You can grab the download from the Microsoft Download Center: for Vista and Server 2008 32-bit, for Vista and Server 2008 64-bit, for XP 32-bit, for Server 2003 SP2 32-bit, and for Server 2003...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App