Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Ribbon Explorer

05 Apr 2011   #41
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
My main concern is it takes up quite a bit of the window. I often have lots of files and folders in a window and that will be obtrusive when looking for files. Maybe they can cut it down a bit.
You could always upgrade your 15" CRT monitor.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Apr 2011   #42
fseal

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
A
I would only have a problem with it if it was unhidable (like the current command bar in the W7 explorer... grrr.)
You can set that to autohide if you want;

How to Auto-Hide or Disable Command Bar (aka Folder Band) in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer? - Tweaking with Vishal

( Works on 7 x64 )

But in the meantime I have simply added the common functions to it, and removed them elsewhere. Takes a little getting used to, but does not waste so much screen space.
Regards....Mike Connor

Heh thanks, though that is definately an example of how I hope we DON'T have to hide the ribbon bar, in which case I would be on the angry side of the argument
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #43
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
My main concern is it takes up quite a bit of the window. I often have lots of files and folders in a window and that will be obtrusive when looking for files. Maybe they can cut it down a bit.
You could always upgrade your 15" CRT monitor.
Tried that, have a DELL 3011

UltraSharp U3011 30

and a Samsung Sync-master T260

Samsung SyncMaster T260 - 25.5" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD display w/ USB hub

in a dual monitor setup, but wasted screen space still annoys me!

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Apr 2011   #44
Vertex

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9 Gnome 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
That is the killer argument for any progress.
I am open to change. Thinking about it, I assume many people who hate or would hate the ribbon on Windows Explorer got the same opinion on this. Its just unattractive for us. I love the ribbon for Office, Paint and Wordpad but for Windows Explorer, like what I said, its a different thing and I don't like it there. Period.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #45
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
That is the killer argument for any progress.
I am open to change. Thinking about it, I assume many people who hate or would hate the ribbon on Windows Explorer got the same opinion on this. Its just unattractive for us. I love the ribbon for Office, Paint and Wordpad but for Windows Explorer, like what I said, its a different thing and I don't like it there. Period.
I guess you will have the option to stay on Windows7 - or maybe XP. But it is good that you guys cannot hold up progress.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #46
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

I am no master of the Office ribbon, but I did like the fact it gave you a preview of changes by hovering over certain items. Couldn't do that before 2007.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #47
severedsolo

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
l have the option to stay on Windows7 - or maybe XP. But it is good that you guys cannot hold up progress.
Wolfgang, I understand what your saying, but IMO you are wrong. Yes, change is good. Yes people should learn to adapt. No, just because some people don't like the ribbon doesn't mean we stand in the way of progress.

I'm not against changing the UI, it's going to happen anyway, and I'm always happy to see new ways to do things. I'm just not convinced that the Ribbon is the right way to go.

Just because someone doesn't like this particular idea, doesn't mean that they are against progress. Who says this is progress anyway? I'm not against change in general, I'm just against this one.

Although I do take your point about people in general being adverse to change.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #48
Karln

Windows 7 pro 64 bit
 
 

Mac vs windows or Riban vs standard interface ? MS give the choice in Windows 8 ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #49
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by severedsolo View Post
Just because someone doesn't like this particular idea, doesn't mean that they are against progress. Who says this is progress anyway? I'm not against change in general, I'm just against this one.
That goes to the same point. Who's to say this is a bad change? As stated, the vast majority of people who start using the ribbon interface, realize the benefits and find it a better option. Go back to using Office 2003 and you'll see what I mean. Even my users can come up with plenty of examples of how it is faster and more efficient.

In going with your words, just because you personally don't like something, doesn't mean it isn't a good step to take, or that the vast majority of people won't be looking forward to it. Office 2007 was a huge hit, so you better believe Microsoft knows that as well.

To get away from the factual side and into the opinion...I'd much prefer Windows Explorer to have a ribbon interface. Give me the options on screen, rather than burying them in menus.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #50
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by severedsolo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
l have the option to stay on Windows7 - or maybe XP. But it is good that you guys cannot hold up progress.
Wolfgang, I understand what your saying, but IMO you are wrong. Yes, change is good. Yes people should learn to adapt. No, just because some people don't like the ribbon doesn't mean we stand in the way of progress.

I'm not against changing the UI, it's going to happen anyway, and I'm always happy to see new ways to do things. I'm just not convinced that the Ribbon is the right way to go.

Just because someone doesn't like this particular idea, doesn't mean that they are against progress. Who says this is progress anyway? I'm not against change in general, I'm just against this one.

Although I do take your point about people in general being adverse to change.
Sorry if I was too harsh. I am just an old hard head. There are certainly many things that are sold as "progress" that one can rant about. But the ribbon is not one of those. I bet most people here that are ranting about the ribbon probably never used it.

Did you ever use e.g. PowerPoint 2003 and then PP 2007 - isn't that a lot easier. I learnt PP on 2003 and always got lost - I was sure glad when I got the ribbon of PP 2007. And it made navigating Word, WLMM, new Paint, etc. a lot easier too. This is "good" progress and nothing to rant about.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Ribbon Explorer




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
ms ribbon
can someone remind me how to make my ribbon larger? I used to have it that way but I forgot.
General Discussion
Why is it called ribbon?
Hello everyone... I'm am just curios of this, why is it called ribbon? Could anyone explain it here? Thanks in advance..:D
General Discussion
Ribbon siz
I have sorted most of the problem and got the print size near enough to what I want but how do I reduce the size of the ribbon, it's enormous in comparison to the rest of the screen. I have my screen resolution set to 1600-900, is that about the norm please?? I have attached a scereen shot...
Graphic Cards
Ribbon graphic bug
I have a problem with the ribbons (paint,office 2007,wordpad). Pic of the buggy interface: http://forums.techarena.in/attachments/office-setup/11535d1287348171-excel.jpg.att I dont know now what I should do to fix it. Please help me.
Microsoft Office
Windows 7 Top Ribbon thing
Hi I'm new to Windows 7 and here. Some way, I think I deleted or disabled the ribbon thing at the startup so now it won't pop up anymore. I had my recycle bin, mozilla, everything on that ribbon and now it's gone. How do I get it back on my desktop?
General Discussion
menu ribbon
been "playing" with 7 this past week and opened an rtf file with wordpad for the 1st time last night ... and nearly choked!:confused::shock::sick: is this the heralded menu ribbon that comes with ms office? is this ribbon customisable viz. icons or text only? any way to customise my way back...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:41.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App