Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HP Chooses USB 3.0 Over Thunderbolt

17 May 2011   #11
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Whats that old saying. "build it and they will come".
All new technology had to start somewhere and the ones that have the potential for upgrades will survive in the long run. Thunderbolt (copper version of Light Peak) has just started to appear and has vast possibilities. As was stated Light Peak using fiber can scale to 100Gbs and over longer distances then the copper Thunderbolt. Thunderbold at present can run PCIe 2.0 and Display Port protocols but can be implemented to run USB and other protocols so with the right implementation most current peripherals can run over a Light Peak circuit thought a small hub type interface. The design is very adaptable and the speed is awesome which I believe will make it a success, but time will tell. I give it a Thumbs Up.

Jim


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 May 2011   #12
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Agree, it's time for some new fast peripheral interfaces.

Hope this kicks off by the end of the year or something better comes out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2011   #13
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Quote:
Hewlett-Packard considered using Intel's Thunderbolt interconnect in new desktop PCs announced Monday, but is sticking with USB 3.0 because of wider support, a company official said.
Details...

I think Intel has an uphill battle with this. No devices on the market support their technology and few, if any, in the foreseeable future.

USB has been a go-to interface between devices. It's like Windows on PCs.
Here is a quote from that article.


Thunderbolt currently supports the PCI Express and DisplayPort protocols, which helps reduce the number of connectors needed to attach peripherals to computers. Intel insists Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 are complementary technologies, and has said it will build chip sets with support for both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt starting next year.
Intel plans to open up Thunderbolt development this quarter, and is also working with partners to develop products as it tries to build out an ecosystem around the interconnect. LaCie and Western Digital have demonstrated portable storage products, but are not yet selling devices. Companies such as Canon, AJA, BlackMagic, Matrox and Sonnet have announced support for Thunderbolt.


Looks like lots of support coming soon.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 May 2011   #14
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Quote:
Hewlett-Packard considered using Intel's Thunderbolt interconnect in new desktop PCs announced Monday, but is sticking with USB 3.0 because of wider support, a company official said.
Details...

I think Intel has an uphill battle with this. No devices on the market support their technology and few, if any, in the foreseeable future.

USB has been a go-to interface between devices. It's like Windows on PCs.
Here is a quote from that article.


Thunderbolt currently supports the PCI Express and DisplayPort protocols, which helps reduce the number of connectors needed to attach peripherals to computers. Intel insists Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 are complementary technologies, and has said it will build chip sets with support for both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt starting next year.
Intel plans to open up Thunderbolt development this quarter, and is also working with partners to develop products as it tries to build out an ecosystem around the interconnect. LaCie and Western Digital have demonstrated portable storage products, but are not yet selling devices. Companies such as Canon, AJA, BlackMagic, Matrox and Sonnet have announced support for Thunderbolt.


Looks like lots of support coming soon.

Jim
I still believe Intel will try to have Thunderbolt "win" vs USB 3.0, despite their nicey-nice "complimentary" technology phrases. They aren't in the position yet to be the "aggressor".

Anyone heard of those companies other than Canon, WD, and maybe BlackMagic?

It's like the lopsided Playstation vs Nintendo 64, or PS2 vs Gamecube battles. Just because you get a lot of little known companies to help doesn't mean you'll win.

My point is it will take a lot of time for this technology to take the place of USB. Hence, my "uphill battle" remark.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2011   #15
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

I agree it will take a while to replace USB, which may never happen, but I see newer motherboards offering Thundabolt as an additional port along with USB, ESATA and probably Firewire. Most motherboards still offer Firewire ports which is getting old. At least now Thundabolt is off the drawing board and is being implemented. The great thing about Light Peak is it can be implemented to run these other protocols, as it is basically a transport medium.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2011   #16
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
I agree it will take a while to replace USB, which may never happen, but I see newer motherboards offering Thundabolt as an additional port along with USB, ESATA and probably Firewire. Most motherboards still offer Firewire ports which is getting old. At least now Thundabolt is off the drawing board and is being implemented. The great thing about Light Peak is it can be implemented to run these other protocols, as it is basically a transport medium.

Jim
Yeah, I chose my current motherboard with Firewire as an important factor. My MiniDV camcorder uses it. I see dwindling numbers of devices using it. It's manly hard drives, flash media, etc now. I think Firewire is on the way out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2011   #17
DarkXeno

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
I agree it will take a while to replace USB, which may never happen, but I see newer motherboards offering Thundabolt as an additional port along with USB, ESATA and probably Firewire. Most motherboards still offer Firewire ports which is getting old. At least now Thundabolt is off the drawing board and is being implemented. The great thing about Light Peak is it can be implemented to run these other protocols, as it is basically a transport medium.

Jim
Yeah, I chose my current motherboard with Firewire as an important factor. My MiniDV camcorder uses it. I see dwindling numbers of devices using it. It's manly hard drives, flash media, etc now. I think Firewire is on the way out.
I think the problem with Firewire is it never became cheap enough for Joe Shmo $60 Wal-mart video cam. If Intel can get a ton of people to create items for Thunderbolt and get the price of the items at Joe Shmo gotta buy level then they will have a winner on their hands, but Im afraid its going to be an item for us techies for awhile.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2011   #18
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there
It WILL take time -- there's nothing wrong in people designing for the future but PRACTICAL applications need to exist for potentially new devices.

Now I for one would BUY a FAST 500 TB or 1PB (1 Petabyte = 1000 * 1 TB) disk if it was cheap enough and the MOBO and OS could actually drive it - I scan all bills / Bank statements etc already so apart from images and music I have pretty well all my Household bills / Bank statements etc on disk already -- almost NO paper any more -- even Income tax records (What's Income tax ??) so people's need for larger storage devices is actually a given.

Just look at numbers of people using those nice little self powered 320 GB / 500 GB WD passport usb drives. A few years ago even Corporates would have wondered what on earth do you need 500 GB for -- now this is very much in private domain too.

I'm still skeptical that we actually at this time need a newer device / interface -- I would welcome SMALLER(PHYSICAL SIZE) FASTER LESS POWER HUNGRY devices first.

Whatever happens PLEASE don't let us get into another "Format" war -- remember the B/S with DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD+R, Dual layer, Blu ray and worst of all the HD / DVD that never made it.

Even "Multi-Format" devices are no real solution as these are over complex and expensive.

We need a CHEAP easily implementable COMMON standard even if it's not the ultimate best in technology.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2011   #19
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

USB isn't going anywhere for a long time. It is too ingrained, and its backwards compatible.
Hell, it works GREAT for keyboards and mice.

However, a faster transferring port is always a good thing, assuming that it can be made as widespread as USB. Proprietary crap sucks, no matter how "awesome" it might be.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2011   #20
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76
Let's stick with the tried and true:

32-bit 25-MHz microprocessor
Monochrome Display Adapter
5¼ floppy disk drive
10 MB hard disk with access time of 0.1 second
64 kB RAM
And for a great price US $3,005 (1981)

Who needs all this new fangled tech stuff

And someone once said, "I don't know how anyone could use more than one megabyte", referrinf to storage capacity.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HP Chooses USB 3.0 Over Thunderbolt




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
can I use thunderbolt as mini display port?
I just try to connect the thunderbolt (from my laptop) to a display port (my monitor) and nothing happen. The cable I use is coming with my monitor, mini display port to display port. I had google for this, some mac can use their thunderbolt as a mini display port, can win7 do the same thing?...
Hardware & Devices
Do not understand Thunderbolt boards
Am looking ahead for the next build and saw this ASUS P8Z77-V-PRO Thunderbolt Motherboard and did some reading on what this Thunderbolt tech was all about. I know it is speed but does this mean I have to use compatible devices like monitor printer etc etc cos if that is the case then it would cost...
Hardware & Devices
Thunderbolt Controller 10 Times More Expensive than USB 3.0
Read more at: Maximum PC | Thunderbolt Controller 10 Times More Expensive than USB 3.0
News
Intel's Thunderbolt - (Light Peak) announced
Aww, I rather preferred the code name Light Peak instead. The Fastest Data Connection to Your PC Just Arrived Thunderbolt™ Technology
News
Thunderbolt and Laptops
The Intel is to release this latest technology "Thunderbolt" also known as Light Peak today.;) This would fit many purposes . Anybody if aware of any PC's to be released shortly with this latest technology? :p I see Dell's USB 3 but My understanding is that the "Thunderbolt" faster &...
Hardware & Devices
Microsoft Chooses 6 Schools for START.
Source - Microsoft Chooses 6 Schools for START - Together with the Corporation for National and Community Service - Softpedia
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App