Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft: Validation for Windows 7 is coming soon!

28 Aug 2009   #31
masterB

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Granted, there are too many versions of Windows period. There really should just be 1 version IMO.

And regardless of price, people will still pirate if they can. I mean come on, the person who won't pony up $200 isn't likely going to pony up $150, or $125 either. And look at the amount of money some of these people invest in their rigs to eek out performance....RAID arrays with SSD drives, multiple video cards, etc. I don't buy the argument of, "people are saving money, or are too poor to buy the OS". People steal/pirate it because they can. And when they can't....they scour the web endlessly wasting tons of time trying to figure out a way they can.

To me, this is a matter or principal. If you love/cherish/endorse/support or feel that you absolutely "need" to run Windows...then you should have to accept the costs and the restrictions which go along with it. If you are not willing to accept those costs and restrictions...then maybe you should find or work on free alternatives. I find it funny when people say that Linux is crap, and Windows is awesome...but yet they are not willing to pay 1 red cent for it. Very interesting.
There are countries where people make $5/day or less.

I don't think they will buy Windows 7 or 8 or whatever ever.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Aug 2009   #32
7Dreams

Windows 7 Build 7600 64bit/Ubuntu/Leopard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by masterB View Post
There are countries where people make $5/day or less.

I don't think they will buy Windows 7 or 8 or whatever ever.
they probably wont
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2009   #33
masterB

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 7Dreams View Post
they probably wont
But they will use it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Aug 2009   #34
7Dreams

Windows 7 Build 7600 64bit/Ubuntu/Leopard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by macgyver2 View Post
Well since no one else seems to have the guts to admit it and I don't care if I get banned I pirate every single piece of my software, I have not paid for a single program I run. The only time MS gets my money is when I bought my new laptop 2 days ago.

The one thing I find funny about activation and all that is all it does is show that MS is greedy, we should be living where information and the technology should be free or as close to it as possible. I worked for 10 years in cyber crimes and put 5 people in prison for life for crimes committed with a computer. software and OS's are over priced, the certifications I have hanging on my wall are way over priced to get. in the 10 years I worked I made less then 2,000 bucks a month for 24/7 avail. to my boss to fight crime, while doing so I had to become what is now a dirty word, a pirate and I saw first hand that most people don't have bad intentions that pirate software they have a thirst for knowledge and companies like MS stood in the way. Today I stand before the world broken from health problems, sacrificing things I truly need so I could have a computer with more power so I could run the 200 or 600 dollar software that I can't afford, not because I am cheap or I want to not pay but I can't pay after 20+ yrs as a tech. but because of a "system" that's broken and leaves me no choice if I want to put food on the table for my wife. Yes I could train for a new job at 40 but I don't have the money and neither does anyone else today to pay to educate me in a new skill.

We all put a price tag on everything, hell my kidney surgery cost over $600,000 dollars to remove 1cm of tissue with a fancy robot. why can't we go back to when an honest days work got you an honest pay? if we can do that piracy won't be an issue because what you get will be worth what you pay and almost everyone agrees 200+ is to much for an OS even 7.

and just in case NO I have not and will not ever talk about how or where to pirate software on this site as I know its not allowed.

that's my 0 cents on the matter
same thoughts
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2009   #35
wwoods

Vista64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by masterB View Post
There are countries where people make $5/day or less.

I don't think they will buy Windows 7 or 8 or whatever ever.
That still does not justify stealing does it ? I mean I dont make enough to afford a lamborghini, does that mean I would be justified in stealing one ?

Honestly, lets get off the kick to justify theft.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2009   #36
7Dreams

Windows 7 Build 7600 64bit/Ubuntu/Leopard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by masterB View Post
But they will use it.
yeah.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2009   #37
wwoods

Vista64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by macgyver2 View Post
Well since no one else seems to have the guts to admit it and I don't care if I get banned I pirate every single piece of my software, I have not paid for a single program I run. The only time MS gets my money is when I bought my new laptop 2 days ago.

The one thing I find funny about activation and all that is all it does is show that MS is greedy, we should be living where information and the technology should be free or as close to it as possible. I worked for 10 years in cyber crimes and put 5 people in prison for life for crimes committed with a computer. software and OS's are over priced, the certifications I have hanging on my wall are way over priced to get. in the 10 years I worked I made less then 2,000 bucks a month for 24/7 avail. to my boss to fight crime, while doing so I had to become what is now a dirty word, a pirate and I saw first hand that most people don't have bad intentions that pirate software they have a thirst for knowledge and companies like MS stood in the way. Today I stand before the world broken from health problems, sacrificing things I truly need so I could have a computer with more power so I could run the 200 or 600 dollar software that I can't afford, not because I am cheap or I want to not pay but I can't pay after 20+ yrs as a tech. but because of a "system" that's broken and leaves me no choice if I want to put food on the table for my wife. Yes I could train for a new job at 40 but I don't have the money and neither does anyone else today to pay to educate me in a new skill.

We all put a price tag on everything, hell my kidney surgery cost over $600,000 dollars to remove 1cm of tissue with a fancy robot. why can't we go back to when an honest days work got you an honest pay? if we can do that piracy won't be an issue because what you get will be worth what you pay and almost everyone agrees 200+ is to much for an OS even 7.

and just in case NO I have not and will not ever talk about how or where to pirate software on this site as I know its not allowed.

that's my 0 cents on the matter
I am sorry, sacraficing things you "need" for a computer is kinda...well, dumb. If you are sacraficing a WANT for something you WANT...well thats a different story.

Yes you do have a choice also, you can choose NOT TO STEAL because you WANT windows7, you dont NEED windows7. Do you really NEED that software you so proudly admit to stealing. I am sorry about your circumstances, but they do NOT justify your actions.

You are not stealing to put food on your table as you seem to imply, you are not stealing to keep a roof over your famlies head. You are stealing because you WANT something, and for that, I see no jusstification.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2009   #38
Dasumianco

 

if a person can make it another can always break it (and more often than not will),

personally i think the whole system for software licensing / pricing is beyond belief.. Vista sums this up perfectly..(personally i think that any computer sold with that excuse of an OS should be upgraded for 30 at most!!) whilst i agree that these companys do deserve to be paid for thier work i also believe that pricing thier products better would drastically cut the amount of piracy that occurs..people ARE prepared to pay for reasonably priced products!! the success of programs like Itunes etc proves that.. when bear in mind "other" clients still offer piracy as standard.. another thing that could help (in the UK anyways not sure how it works elsewhere) is something similar to the TV licence we have here but from software companys instead of the government. where you can pay a fixed rate no matter how MANY tv's are in your household.. with all that being said i've already pre-ordered my win 7.. haha


What i really find amusing on these forums though is people from certain nations (my own included) sitting on their high horses regarding stealing when our country's invaded another to save a few quid on a barrel of oil.. couldnt that be construde as stealing? or does the fact we took it by force mean its ok? im not being derogatory to any nation or their soldiers just feel its a valid point..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2009   #39
7Dreams

Windows 7 Build 7600 64bit/Ubuntu/Leopard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dasumianco View Post
if a person can make it another can always break it (and more often than not will),

personally i think the whole system for software licensing / pricing is beyond belief.. Vista sums this up perfectly..(personally i think that any computer sold with that excuse of an OS should be upgraded for 30 at most!!) whilst i agree that these companys do deserve to be paid for thier work i also believe that pricing thier products better would drastically cut the amount of piracy that occurs..people ARE prepared to pay for reasonably priced products!! the success of programs like Itunes etc proves that.. when bear in mind "other" clients still offer piracy as standard.. another thing that could help (in the UK anyways not sure how it works elsewhere) is something similar to the TV licence we have here but from software companys instead of the government. where you can pay a fixed rate no matter how MANY tv's are in your household.. with all that being said i've already pre-ordered my win 7.. haha
lucky
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2009   #40
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
Heavy stuff, coming from someone with a free voucher upgrade,
and a reservation for launch day in Detroit to get a free copy with key...
Very interesting.
Apparently you missed my other posts where I clearly explained that when I built my new computer in July of this year, that I purchased a copy of Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate OEM from NewEgg for $189 with a free upgrade voucher to Windows 7. So, yes I'm a paying customer with money directly out of my pocket. And it's not as if I pulled a fast one or swindled anybody out of the free voucher with my Vista purchase.....the program that I took advantage of is sponsored by Microsoft and available to anybody. It wasn't even a grey area purchase like a Technet subscription. It was a legal purchase and I'm bound to the restrictions placed upon it. (ie, it's an OEM copy so I can only put it on one computer and can never transfer it to another computer).

The launch day show in Detroit is going to provide me with another copy....but I don't really have any other computer in my house that I intend to run Windows 7 on...so it's likely going to just sit there.

As a side note, I've got quite a number of other machines that I use at home and all are running either the OEM copies of the OS's they came with, or some flavor of Linux. So, please don't try to make it appear as if I am talking out of both sides of my mouth. I could clearly pirate and run Windows 7 on quite a number of my other computers, but I simply choose not to, because the cost associated to license them properly is simply not worth it to me. And pirating other Windows OS's would be extremely easy as I have worked in the past and currently for companies which have VL keys for XP, and MAK keys for Vista and Win7. And even with very easy to obtain copies, I'm running legit. So yeah, as you say, "Heavy Stuff"

I however do rather like Windows 7, have enjoyed the experience provided by the free beta and the RC1 release and because I do play games for Windows, I've elected to purchase and run Windows 7 on my recently self built machine. Thus, when I paid approx $1,200 for everything from NewEgg, $189 was associated with the cost of the Windows OEM license for Vista 64-Ultimate that I elected to buy.



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by macgyver2 View Post
Well since no one else seems to have the guts to admit it and I don't care if I get banned I pirate every single piece of my software, I have not paid for a single program I run.
Well, I too haven't paid for very much of the software that I run either...but that's entirely because I opt to run a ton of open source software that does what I need and doesn't come with associated licensing costs. In this day and age, I just honestly don't get the "need" to pirate most software packages. I've honestly just not had any real need for any commercial software in the past few years.

The only time MS gets my money is when I bought my new laptop 2 days ago.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by macgyver2 View Post
The one thing I find funny about activation and all that is all it does is show that MS is greedy, we should be living where information and the technology should be free or as close to it as possible.
Interestingly enough, you are pretty much beating the drum of the open source movement...but yet rather than embracing the movement and supporting the cause, you instead just pirate software which is closed source and intended to generate revenue.

For me, this is where the heart of the matter is at. If you feel strongly enough that something should change, you have to make sacrifices and sometimes do things a little different. For example, everybody seems to rave about Adobe Photoshop...but as we all know it's very expensive. But rather than pirating it and giving Adobe the time of day, I'd rather use something like Paint.net or the Gimp and support and help their cause. Same thing goes for Microsoft Office. It's very expensive...but rather than pirate it and use it anyway...I opt for Open Office. And by putting my time and effort into figuring it out and donating to the cause...i help provide a better more useful product for others to use. Including those who are working very hard for a living and barely making ends meet.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by masterB View Post
There are countries where people make $5/day or less.

I don't think they will buy Windows 7 or 8 or whatever ever.
I wouldn't expect if they are making $5/day or less that they are able to purchase computers anyway. Clearly food, shelter and their overall well-being have to be a priority with such a low income.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 Microsoft: Validation for Windows 7 is coming soon!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft confirms Internet Explorer 11 is coming to Windows 7
Source A Guy
News
Microsoft: IE9 beta coming September 15
More: Microsoft: IE9 beta coming September 15 | ZDNet
News
Microsoft's Ballmer: Windows 7 slates are coming this year
Full Article: Microsoft's Ballmer: Windows 7 slates are coming this year | ZDNet Really? Do we need a "Winpad"?
News
Microsoft Courier coming in 2011.
Source - Neowin.net - Microsoft Courier coming in 2011
News
Rumor: Microsoft Courier tablet runs Windows 7, coming
Read the rest here: Rumor: Microsoft Courier tablet runs Windows 7, coming 2010 - Ars Technica
Hardware & Devices
Microsoft stores coming in the fall
Microsoft stores coming in the fall Microsoft stores coming in the fall - Salt Lake Tribune Not entirely sure how reliable the source is, but interesting concept non the less. Anyone got any more articles on it? ~Lordbob EDIT:...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App