Normal service is resumed as Windows 7's growth once again.....

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 4,566
    Windows 10 Pro
       #70

    Kari said:
    andrew129260 said:
    Where is the response to this since you only took the first bit out of post 15?

    andrew129260 said:
    The previous versions thing from post 6, I stated file history must have a drive set up to use it.
    ...
    ...
    I see no question there to answer. Only a bit misleading statement: The drive for File history does not need to be set up. Any connected and formatted internal, external or flash drive is OK, even memory cards.

    What about the list of simple tasks taking longer in Windows 8? Is that list going to be so big you need more time to compose it?
    So without setting up a drive, your telling me I can restore my files using previous versions?

    That is not true. Windows file history must be using a drive. Any connected? So drive c then? Nope, does not work. You say it does not need set up, but you have to turn it on to restore previous versions of files. Windows 7 did not need to do that. No media was required to restore old versions of files.

    I also want to point out, the average windows user here. The average window user does not back up their files. In windows 7, that was usually not a issue as you can easily restore lost documents etc with previous versions. Windows 8 you cannot. You must turn it on and set it up, and have it use a external or another internal storage device.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 4,566
    Windows 10 Pro
       #71

    And as hard as this is to believe, I know people think I am just not liking it when things change. The reality is, I like change. But when instead of improving or creating better ways to do things, and frankly doing the opposite; it makes things so complicated, where before it was streamlined and simplified I see little reason to upgrade.

    I like windows 8 on a tablet. For me it should stay there. You will not hear me saying windows 8 sucks or is a pile of trash. It is a great OS. Even on the desktop once the settings are set up.

    But again, these are my opinions and what I have discovered. If they are BS and not fact, ok I will be glad to be proven wrong. But there are differences when I say I do not like the way it does things vs me saying you cannot do those things. There are facts and opinions in what I write. I am not saying they are all fact or opinion.

    I also mean no disrespect or attack on windows 8. Or anyone personally.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 16,196
    7 X64
    Thread Starter
       #72

    This thread is bizarre.

    Nobody cares what the personal peccadilos of Andrew or Kari are.
    The fact is, win 8 has done badly for MS. The public do not like it much, to put it kindly. Blaming the customers is extremely foolish.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 4,566
    Windows 10 Pro
       #73

    SIW2 said:
    This thread is bizarre.

    Nobody cares what the personal peccadilos of Andrew or Kari are.
    The fact is, win 8 has done badly for MS. The public do not like it much, to put it kindly. Blaming the customers is extremely foolish.
    I did not mean to cause your thread to go nutz, I see it as talking about windows 8 and discussing it. Sorry about derailing your thread....
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 16,196
    7 X64
    Thread Starter
       #74

    It isn't about any individual enthusiasts love/dislike. It is much more fundamental.

    Here is a product which MS have spent a lot on, which has huge shelf presence, and it is going down like a lead balloon.

    MS have made a series of basic mistakes. I have posted repeatedly about them.

    They are now starting to do the things I posted. There is more to it than that. Let's see if they can figure it out.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 17,545
    Windows 10 Pro x64 EN-GB
       #75

    andrew129260 said:
    So without setting up a drive, your telling me I can restore my files using previous versions?

    That is not true. Windows file history must be using a drive. Any connected? So drive c then? Nope, does not work. You say it does not need set up, but you have to turn it on to restore previous versions of files. Windows 7 did not need to do that. No media was required to restore old versions of files.
    Yes, I noticed my own mistake and edited it already but apparently too late for the sake of this argument :). The edited versions of my statement goes like this:

    Kari said:
    Any connected and formatted internal drive except system reserved partitions and drive C:, external or flash drive is OK, even memory cards.
    Next: in an earlier post of yours, you separated setting up and enabling / turning on the drive needed for File History. My point was that there's only one step, to enable it, instead of two as you hinted, setting first a drive up for File History. You don't even have to select the drive, Windows is quite good in selecting the most suitable drive.

    andrew129260 said:
    In windows 8, I have to configure almost 30 settings (28) to make it usable. I have to turn off booting to metro, I have to disable and reset all file associations, gettting rid of the 2 different internet explorers, etc. For me, (imho) usable. When I have customer who come in to have their PC reset up, that is several settings to go through each and every time.

    Now maybe I am wrong on this, but I have attempted to use a clean install with a system image with prebuilt settings set so I do not get customers calling me asking how to close out of internet explorer. Even with improvements made, my customers cannot get around. Even after spending time to show them. I have not found a way to make a system image with windows 8 to apply to all pcs and pop in a key, as there is no lisence key found on these new pcs. So maybe I am doing something wrong, but windows 8 constantly keeps refusing to activate and causes so many headaches. Not just windows 8 itself, but the licensing way of things.

    Maybe I am confused, in the wrong I do not know. But things should not be this difficult that I have to spend so much time on 1 pc to get it to a point where my customer does not throw the thing out the window. (The real one.)

    I have people that buy windows 8 pcs and return them without anyone but them touching them. When I ask why and offer to show them how to use it, they say I should not need to configure the computer in order to make it work simply. That is the real issue.
    This can of course be due different working methods, different way in presenting 8 to people or different approach in general but I have never needed more than 10 minutes after installation to make a Windows 8 computer behave as closely as Windows 7 as possible. Also, again maybe due different approach, not a single person or company I have helped or consulted both privately and professionally in for instance lately quite common upgrade from XP to 8 have complained after initial day or two learning period when they have seen what they have got.

    In fact, as we speak I am sipping bourbon I got from a neighbor after I helped him last weekend to get rid of a 10+ year old PC with XP, get a new one with 8.1 and set it up. Initially he only gave me a few bottles of wine but he saw me on Friday and gave an extra bottle of bourbon (might be he knows my hobbies...) saying: "If I had known how smooth it is, I had discarded XP the day it (8) came out" (free but quite accurate translation).
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 17,545
    Windows 10 Pro x64 EN-GB
       #76

    SIW2 said:
    It isn't about any individual enthusiasts love/dislike. It is much more fundamental.

    Here is a product which MS have spent a lot on, which has huge shelf presence, and it is going down like a lead balloon.

    MS have made a series of basic mistakes. I have posted repeatedly about them.

    They are now starting to do the things I posted. There is more to it than that. Let's see if they can figure it out.
    This is exactly why wrong and misleading information must be corrected. I know quite a many geeks who believe these untrue horror stories and use them as a reason not to upgrade.

    I really have big issues in understanding that it is considered as fighting when someone tries to correct this wrong information spread even here, a dedicated Windows forum.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 4,566
    Windows 10 Pro
       #77

    Now we are getting somewhere. Okay,

    Kari said:
    andrew129260 said:
    So without setting up a drive, your telling me I can restore my files using previous versions?

    That is not true. Windows file history must be using a drive. Any connected? So drive c then? Nope, does not work. You say it does not need set up, but you have to turn it on to restore previous versions of files. Windows 7 did not need to do that. No media was required to restore old versions of files.
    Yes, I noticed my own mistake and edited it already but apparently too late for the sake of this argument :). The edited versions of my statement goes like this:

    Kari said:
    Any connected and formatted internal drive except system reserved partitions and drive C:, external or flash drive is OK, even memory cards.
    Next: in an earlier post of yours, you separated setting up and enabling / turning on the drive needed for File History. My point was that there's only one step, to enable it, instead of two as you hinted, setting first a drive up for File History. You don't even have to select the drive, Windows is quite good in selecting the most suitable drive.
    Ok agreed.

    So I think we are clear here now....

    Kari said:
    This can of course be due different working methods, different way in presenting 8 to people or different approach in general but I have never needed more than 10 minutes to make a Windows 8 computer behave as closely as Windows 7 as possible. Also, again maybe due different approach, not a single person or company I have helped or consulted both privately and professionally in for instance lately quite common upgrade from XP to 8 have complained after initial day or two learning period when they have seen what they have got.

    In fact, as we speak I am sipping bourbon I got from a neighbor after I helped him last weekend to get rid of a 10+ year old PC with XP, get a new one with 8.1 and set it up. Initially he only gave me a few bottles of wine but he saw me on Friday and gave an extra bottle of bourbon (might be he knows my hobbies...) saying: "If I had known how smooth it is, I had discarded XP the day it (8) came out" (free but quite accurate translation).
    Ok, Honest question here:

    With windows 8 I noticed new pc's have no license sticker on them with a key. There is a sticker that says windows 8 and it glows but no key. Now, I have done reading up on this but cannot get a definate answer. It looks like the key for 8 is stored in the bios/uefi chip.....so If I want to get the key I must use something like speccy or something to retrieve it, on order to do a clean install correct?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 4,566
    Windows 10 Pro
       #78

    Never mind, I think this here answers my question..........sorta

    Clean Install - Windows 8

    Even better:

    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/w...ctivation.html

    Of course now I can find articles when I casually look for them. When I really needed them I could not find them. I was typing window 8 license explained, this time I used the term windows 8 sticker and got a bunch of articles lol.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 17,545
    Windows 10 Pro x64 EN-GB
       #79

    andrew129260 said:
    Never mind, I think this here answers my question..........sorta

    Clean Install - Windows 8
    Yes. I never leave a pre-installed OS with bloatware on rigs, I always do a clean install, be it my own rig or one I am preparing for a friend or a customer.
      My Computer


 
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55.
Find Us