Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Rumor: pricing for the Windows 7 editions

07 Feb 2009   #31
petrossa

vista x64/ win 7 x64
 
 

i'm also against piracy:
piracy - Synonyms from the Merriam-Webster Online Thesaurus
Synonym piracy in the Collins English Dictionary & Thesaurus, spelling "piracy"
and any other you might like to google yourself

i'm also against theft:
Index of legal terms and offences libelled - The National Archives of Scotland

Theft
Dishonest appropriation of property without the owner’s consent, with intent to deprive them of its use, either temporarily or permanently:

However i'm not against downloading binaries floating around on the net.
Moreover this is explicitly allowed in Dutch Law.

When dl'ing a copy of win7 i am not a thief because i don't intent to deprive the owner of it's use. And pirating a copy at the High Seas, unfortunately binaries are not and never will be considered a naval vessel.

Charging absurdly high interest for lending a product because you have a virtual monopoly is however a crime, namely usury.

Their EULA clearly states you only buy the right of use not the product itself. Right of use is normal language Lending. Lending against an outrageous amount is usury.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Feb 2009   #32
ittech

XP/Vista/Windows 7 builld 7000
 
 

90 percent of the machines on market come in for professional servicing eventually at some point in their useful life. No supplied OS disk matching the unit and no service. You will need to find a relative whom knows a little bit about computers. End of argument. I've spent 17 years in schools full or partial years after high school graduation, investment probably well over 100 thousand, i need my certifications to work, and the bulk of them are supplied by Microsoft. The tech savvy can probably get buy, the vast majority of the pc using public cannot. Look at it as what MS love to call, the total cost of ownership. That pricing structure though, won't fly, and in the current market, both economics and competitor wise, MS knows that. I expect to see prices significantly lower than predicted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2009   #33
garysgold

Vista Ult 64 bit Seven Ult RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ittech View Post
That pricing structure though, won't fly, and in the current market, both economics and competitor wise, MS knows that. I expect to see prices significantly lower than predicted.
Hope your right about that. I suspect that, as with most things, they'll be high at first, till the 'I must have now' folks have spent their money, then when sales start to drop, so will the price.

Gary
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Feb 2009   #34
echrada

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by petrossa View Post
i'm also against piracy:
piracy - Synonyms from the Merriam-Webster Online Thesaurus
Synonym piracy in the Collins English Dictionary & Thesaurus, spelling "piracy"
and any other you might like to google yourself

i'm also against theft:
Index of legal terms and offences libelled - The National Archives of Scotland

Theft
Dishonest appropriation of property without the owner’s consent, with intent to deprive them of its use, either temporarily or permanently:

However i'm not against downloading binaries floating around on the net.
Moreover this is explicitly allowed in Dutch Law.

When dl'ing a copy of win7 i am not a thief because i don't intent to deprive the owner of it's use. And pirating a copy at the High Seas, unfortunately binaries are not and never will be considered a naval vessel.

Charging absurdly high interest for lending a product because you have a virtual monopoly is however a crime, namely usury.

Their EULA clearly states you only buy the right of use not the product itself. Right of use is normal language Lending. Lending against an outrageous amount is usury.
I love your reasoning.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Oct 2009   #35
lisagarry

Windows 7
 
 

Well, All the guessing is over. Windows 7 Ultimate is selling for $449 Australian now at shops. That is the full edition. I am not going to mess around with updates for the sake of $80. Get real guys. We are having the free use of RC until next June.I will always keep XP Pro on one Hard Drive for some programs. I think W7 is just great. Thank you Mr. Microsoft. Greetings Garry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Oct 2009   #36
fseal

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

NOONE buys full retail.

There are several reasonable alternatives.

OEM is half the price.

Family packs are resonable.

[Edit]Not everyone needs ultimate (I'm not sure ANYONE needs ultimate )[/edit]

And several other avenues if you are a student or a professional...

That being said, MS SHOULD just sell the retail versions for the OEM price and continued the $50/$100 upgrade pricing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #37
coolwalker

Windows 7 and XP Pro 64 Bit (dual)
 
 

With students getting it for 29 bucks I'm pi$$ed, really pi$$ed. I think vets should get the same deal since Vets put their lives on the line to keep gates safe in his mansion! Being one of the VN vets, we covered his butt when he was on the playground. Guess he just doesn't care for us at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #38
Kai Winters

xp pro
 
 

I was ready to jump on the 7 bus after using the beta/rc version for several months and generally liking it.
I decided not to buy 7, in any version, because for my uses it wasn't worth the cost over my already bought and paid for version of XP Pro.
I have absolutely no problems with my xp pro and just aren't willing to plop down what m$ wants for an upgrade op...windows home premium would be my choice for my needs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #39
MoInSTL

Windows 7 Professional x64, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by coolwalker View Post
With students getting it for 29 bucks I'm pi$$ed, really pi$$ed. I think vets should get the same deal since Vets put their lives on the line to keep gates safe in his mansion! Being one of the VN vets, we covered his butt when he was on the playground. Guess he just doesn't care for us at all.
We do get a free dinner at Applebee's 11/10 and Golden Corral on 11/16. I know, it's not the same but a couple of free dinners may be nice.

Another Vietnam-Era veteran.

Eat Free at Applebee's
Military veterans and active-duty servicemembers will be able to eat for free at any Applebee's across the U.S. on Veterans Day, Wed., Nov. 11, 2009. There will be six entres from the menu to choose from. Guests will be asked to show one or more of the following as proof of service: a U.S. Uniform Services Identification Card, U.S. Uniform Services Retired Identification Card, Current Leave and Earnings Statement, Veterans Organization Card, a photograph in uniform, or wearing a uniform in person.

For more information about Veterans Day at Applebee's, visit the Applebee's website at Applebee's - Veterans and Active Duty Military Eat Free - Veterans Day, Wednesday, November 11th. A complete listing of all Applebee's locations is available at Welcome to Applebee's®.

Vets Eat Free at Golden Corral. Military Appreciation Monday dinner Monday, Nov.16, 2009, 5pm-9pm

Vets Eat Free at Golden Corral. Military Appreciation Monday dinner Monday, Nov.16, 2009, 5pm-9pm in all Golden Corral restaurants nationwide to any person who ever served in the United States Military. Veteran, retired, currently serving, National Guard or Reserves, you are invited.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #40
1Bowtie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Hi Kai Winters and Welcome to SevenForums

The only problem your going to have is an 8 year old OS, support is going away in the near future. Pre order for $49 was a great deal. Don't get me wrong i had XP Pro and loved it, but it's time for something new with all the malware, viruses, spam, i just feel alot more comfortable with the latest OS.

Smitty
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Rumor: pricing for the Windows 7 editions




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Rumor: Windows 9 May Be Revealed Next Week
By Kevin Parrish July 10, 2014 4:43 PM - Source: BetaNews (I believe this is current) Source.. So customers who rent the OS will have no choice but to use Microsoft Store? Hell No! Bye.
News
Rumor - Microsoft to Release Windows Blue, the First Free Windows Ever
Source: Microsoft to Release Windows Blue, the First Free Windows Ever ? Rumors - Softpedia
News
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Rumor
Looks like the 1st Windows 7 service pack may be on track for the 2nd half of 2010.
General Discussion
Rumor: Windows Live Wave 4 beta this week
New rumors are saying we'll be seeing a beta of Windows Live Wave 4 this week, and the final release in Spring/Summer 2010. Full Story: Rumor: Windows Live Wave 4 beta this week - Ars Technica
News
Rumor: Windows 7 discounted pre-orders will come again
http://windows7center.com/wp-content/themes/WhosWho/timthumb.php?src=http://windows7center.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/orbsq1201.jpg&h=120&w=120&zc=1&q=100 Rumor: Windows 7 discounted pre-orders will come again "Posted by Al in Windows 7 News on 08 10th, 2009 Microsoft allowed...
News
Rumor: public to get Windows 7 RC build on April 10, 2009
After rumors sprang up across the blogosphere of a Windows 7 build 7048, we debunked them and along with all the other Windows 7 users, we looked hungrily for information on new builds. Microsoft is currently compiling pre-RC builds of Windows 7, the latest build being 7046. Many beta testers are...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App