Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft to randomize browser ballot for EU

26 Feb 2010   #51
Adamd

Windows 7 7100 build
 
 

Everyone should just use Chrome lol. I was the biggest fan of Firefox for such a long time but it is getting to slow and takes forever to stat up.

I just downloaded the beta build of version 5 and it is just scary fast. 4 was ultra fast as well. Crazy how fast these browsers are getting!!!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Feb 2010   #52
garrettnichols

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Everyone should just use Chrome lol. I was the biggest fan of Firefox for such a long time but it is getting to slow and takes forever to stat up.

I just downloaded the beta build of version 5 and it is just scary fast. 4 was ultra fast as well. Crazy how fast these browsers are getting!!!!

True, Chrome 4 is very fast, and Chrome 5 is looking like it could be even faster, but (for the time being) for some people it just doesn't have the versatility and functionality other browsers like Firefox offer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2010   #53
EvilOzzmess

7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

The thing I don't like, and have never liked about this whole Browser business is how Microsoft has embedded IE into the actual operating system versions themselves. It isn't like the others, because it is an actual integrated component - which is to say, that it is REQUIRED and prompted to be used in certain applications relating to the OS, such as back with XP for Updates. Some sites even now require IE to handle some functions or downloads and it is just wholly unnecessary! What this does is effectively inhibit the user's ability to set another browser, such as for example FireFox, from being the 100% defaulted browser application and because IE, again, is sometimes REQUIRED and prompted to be used in order to carry out those tasks. And therein lies the problem, and that I believe is the core issue the EU has with this whole thing.

Honestly, there is absolutely no reason that FireFox or any other browser for that matter shouldn't be allowed to handle those previously mentioned, though rare, instances of functions for certain downloads or anything which presently REQUIRES and prompts for IE to carry out. That, right there, IS Monopolistic and a bit underhanded if I'm being completely honest here. Why can't Microsoft allow other browsers to be integrated into the system's OS's if that is what the user wants?

But I digress, it doesn't bother me much to have to open IE on those rare occasions... but that isn't to say it wouldn't be nice to be able to axe IE from my computers altogether and just have FireFox and to have FireFox be able to do everything that IE did too. But for now, that is impossible for the reasons already provided and I for one rather think it sucks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Feb 2010   #54
win7clutz

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)
 
 

I believe you posted the same BS not long ago in another thread...
Quote:
...is impossible for the reasons already provided and I for one rather think it sucks.
Do you mean provided by you, if so I'm missing something as I see no examples in your post... With the exception of Windows update, all default associations that point to IE can very easily be changed to another browser...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2010   #55
gladson1976

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (XP, 98SE, 95, 3.11, DOS 7.10 on VM) + Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EvilOzzmess View Post
The thing I don't like, and have never liked about this whole Browser business is how Microsoft has embedded IE into the actual operating system versions themselves. It isn't like the others, because it is an actual integrated component - which is to say, that it is REQUIRED and prompted to be used in certain applications relating to the OS, such as back with XP for Updates. Some sites even now require IE to handle some functions or downloads and it is just wholly unnecessary! What this does is effectively inhibit the user's ability to set another browser, such as for example FireFox, from being the 100% defaulted browser application and because IE, again, is sometimes REQUIRED and prompted to be used in order to carry out those tasks. And therein lies the problem, and that I believe is the core issue the EU has with this whole thing.

Honestly, there is absolutely no reason that FireFox or any other browser for that matter shouldn't be allowed to handle those previously mentioned, though rare, instances of functions for certain downloads or anything which presently REQUIRES and prompts for IE to carry out. That, right there, IS Monopolistic and a bit underhanded if I'm being completely honest here. Why can't Microsoft allow other browsers to be integrated into the system's OS's if that is what the user wants?

But I digress, it doesn't bother me much to have to open IE on those rare occasions... but that isn't to say it wouldn't be nice to be able to axe IE from my computers altogether and just have FireFox and to have FireFox be able to do everything that IE did too. But for now, that is impossible for the reasons already provided and I for one rather think it sucks.
In the beginning, the whole monopoly business started because IE was embedded in Windows, not because IE was installed in Windows. Most people don't understand this and talk about EU's high handedness.
Installing IE by default in Windows was not the problem, INTEGRATING it in the OS itself was the problem. That was monopoly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2010   #56
EvilOzzmess

7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by win7clutz View Post
I believe you posted the same BS not long ago in another thread...
Quote:
...is impossible for the reasons already provided and I for one rather think it sucks.
Do you mean provided by you, if so I'm missing something as I see no examples in your post... With the exception of Windows update, all default associations that point to IE can very easily be changed to another browser...
I've never been able to get that to work. As for specific examples, I cannot think of any off of the top of my head at the moment as I very, very rarely ever encounter this phenomenon. However, I do recall on my XP Dimension 3000 Desktop that Dell, when searching for my computer's information such as the "Service Tag", will prompt me to use IE instead of FireFox or it will NOT allow the operation to commence. It is the same with most other services like this as well, involving retrieval of system information by a website through ActiveX Control or similar. I don't know all of the terminology or facts on this, nor do I proclaim to know it all, but what I do know is that it happens and that without IE, you cannot continue on with what you are doing. You instead have to open up IE, paste the address and continue on from there - it is impossible for an average user to avoid IE when this happens, in other words.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gladson1976 View Post
In the beginning, the whole monopoly business started because IE was embedded in Windows, not because IE was installed in Windows. Most people don't understand this and talk about EU's high handedness.
Installing IE by default in Windows was not the problem, INTEGRATING it in the OS itself was the problem. That was monopoly.
Agreed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2010   #57
severedsolo

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

iv got an example for you, Nvidia chipset drivers, if you use their "auto scan for drivers" feature, graphics card drivers can be scanned by FF but chipset drivers must be done in IE

also (rather randomly) Pureplay Poker's software insists on using IE not any other browser,

just ones i can think of off the top of my head
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2010   #58
MattRainier

7 Ultimate x64, Vista Ultimate x64, 7 Pro x64, XP Pro x86, Linux Mint Nadia Cinnamon
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gladson1976 View Post
In the beginning, the whole monopoly business started because IE was embedded in Windows, not because IE was installed in Windows. Most people don't understand this and talk about EU's high handedness.
Installing IE by default in Windows was not the problem, INTEGRATING it in the OS itself was the problem. That was monopoly.
*cough*Apple*cough*

Sorry, but I just don't buy that argument. Turning IE off is simple - 'Remove Windows Components' ring a bell? Besides, it makes IE work faster than other browsers at a system level. I don't see any problems with Microsoft making Microsoft's products work with Microsoft's operating system. In fact, they'd BETTER - otherwise it'll tick me off. Why would I want to buy a product that doesn't even work with the rest of what the company produces?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2010   #59
Thorsen

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

EU will only be happy when everything is completely randomized

and when you install you get either win7, Ubuntu, or Snow Leopard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2010   #60
severedsolo

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

thorsen... you arent suggesting that the EU has nothing better to do with their time than to make stupid laws that actually dont effect anyone are you.... surely not.... (straight bananas come to mind)

would be interesting to see your scenario though, in theory we would be able to get win 7 for free simply download a ubuntu iso and then use the "randomised ballot" to select windows 7

actually i like that idea.... vote Severedsolo in next years European Parliament elections, free windows for all!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft to randomize browser ballot for EU




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Another EU browser ballot bug: now it's not random.....
Source - Another EU browser ballot bug: now it's not random at all
News
EU browser ballot sometimes hidden by IE wizard.
Source - EU browser ballot sometimes hidden by IE wizard
News
Opera still unhappy with browser-ballot
Read the full article here. Seriously Opera, stop whining. :p
News
Windows Browser Ballot, What really happens.
Source - Windows Browser Ballot, What really happens | Windows 7 News
News
Microsoft changes algorithm behind its browser ballot.
Source - Microsoft changes algorithm behind its browser ballot | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com
News
Opera: Microsoft's browser ballot has tripled our downl
can one of the mods move this to the news section, for some reason i can't start a thread there. Opera: Microsoft's browser ballot has tripled our downloads - TechSpot News
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:25.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App