Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win 8 and Win 7 SP1 Preparations. etc.

29 Dec 2009   #21
digitalrurouni

Windows 7 x64 Pro
 
 

I would not say no to performance. It is a decent OS but by no means is it very performant. And its not like I have a slow machine either. Also I would like to see more performance in gaming. Aero despite pretty is still quite heavy.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Dec 2009   #22
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post

How do you get that exactly? Vista > 7 was more then just performance changes. There we UI changes, new features, etc.
The UI and features in windows 7 are all layers over the vista kernel, but it's the same OS.. comparable to a kernel update in linux that happens every few weeks
I'd like to point out you just called it the same OS. Microsoft changed more then what is visually noticeable in the OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2009   #23
madtownidiot

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post

I'd like to point out you just called it the same OS. Microsoft changed more then what is visually noticeable in the OS.

If you start from a blank page and write an all new kernel that puts hardware together in way nobody's seen before, you get a new OS, which everyone knows is not what happened. Basically the difference between vista and windows 7 is about the same as the difference between ubuntu 9.04 and ubuntu 9.10, maybe a little less. That's not saying I don't think windows 7 is a great product.. microsoft hit one out of the park with it so far as I'm concerned, but making some changes in graphical interface and features, & streamlining inefficiently written code doesn't make a new operating system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Dec 2009   #24
MattRainier

7 Ultimate x64, Vista Ultimate x64, 7 Pro x64, XP Pro x86, Linux Mint Nadia Cinnamon
 
 

I beg to differ, Microsoft did a lot more than streamline the code and add a few UI tweaks. They stripped down the kernel itself, taking away a great deal of superfluous junk (Google 'Minwin'). The use of DirectX 11 also greatly improved graphics performance with Seven. Granted, going from Vista to Seven isn't as dramatic a leap as XP to Vista, but it still warrants calling it a new OS, and not just a service pack.

Windows 8 is probably going to be more cloud-focused, sort of like Google's Chrome OS. One more reason to stick with Seven - I LIKE having all my information on my personal machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2009   #25
beauparc

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkDavil View Post
Hey, this is kinda out there - and maybe the wrong thread to ask this, but as JMH is talking abt the forums, what happened to the chromeosforums?

www.thechromeosforums.com
From what I was told by Shawn and John, it was removed due to lack of interest.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by beauparc View Post
Just goes to show that Win7 was, in reality, Vista SP3
How do you get that exactly? Vista > 7 was more then just performance changes. There we UI changes, new features, etc.
And aren't those changes exactly what Vista users wanted in the next SP release?

Ergo, Win7 = Vista SP3
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2009   #26
MattRainier

7 Ultimate x64, Vista Ultimate x64, 7 Pro x64, XP Pro x86, Linux Mint Nadia Cinnamon
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by beauparc View Post

And aren't those changes exactly what Vista users wanted in the next SP release?

Ergo, Win7 = Vista SP3
No, if it were Vista SP3, then it would be CALLED SP3, and it'd be free.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2009   #27
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

To everyone here who says Windows 7 is just Vista SP3...I would love to see the evidence that proves that. Where is the changelog between the versions that you guys are getting your info from? ...and if you say you have read a change log...you would be telling quite the fib

Calling it that is pure rubbish...Why don't we just call XP Windows Pretty 2000? Because it isn't and the same goes for 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #28
madtownidiot

 

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, don't assume it's a loon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #29
beauparc

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Oh, for Heaven's sake, all I'm saying is that Win 7 is what Vista should have evolved into.

As MattRainier says Microsoft should have released it as SP3 and given it to us free.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #30
lordvader

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
To everyone here who says Windows 7 is just Vista SP3...I would love to see the evidence that proves that. Where is the changelog between the versions that you guys are getting your info from? ...and if you say you have read a change log...you would be telling quite the fib

Calling it that is pure rubbish...Why don't we just call XP Windows Pretty 2000? Because it isn't and the same goes for 7
I agree
Win 7 Rocks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win 8 and Win 7 SP1 Preparations. etc.




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:15.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App