Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Continuing the Fight Against Piracy.

18 Jan 2010   #111
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there
English please
could care less means I DO care
couldn't care less means I DON'T care which is what I assume you mean.
While you are grammatically correct, either phraseology is commonly used interchangeably with the same meaning.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Jan 2010   #112
Colonel Travis

Black Label 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there
English please
could care less means I DO care
couldn't care less means I DON'T care which is what I assume you mean.
While you are grammatically correct, either phraseology is commonly used interchangeably with the same meaning.
Just because people say/write it both ways does not change the fact that one phrase is wrong and one phrase is right. I've been a writer my entire professional life, and I'm willing to accept a little bit of fluidity in language. But this one drives me nuts.

I could kill myself.
I couldn't kill myself.

Whatever, same thing, huh?

OK, back to pirates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2010   #113
Colonel Travis

Black Label 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
I will say that piracy has had a detrimental impact on consumer rights for software and games.
If you want to remain legal at all times, you must buy in the majority of cases to see the full benefits of the package, but then if you are unhappy, you have a very hard time getting a refund. It's almost not worth it. Especially when it comes to games.

I also apply this to entertainment (movies and Music). If the movie that you just saw in the theater was horrible, what recourse does anyone have for a refund? None. Zero. Zip. Ziltch. You are out of luck and out of pocket.

Personally, I find this to be a travesty for consumer rights. In these areas, consumers have no, or extremely little rights.
You have a right to get your money back? What does this mean for the producer - what rights to his own product does he have? Are all producer "rights" are trumped by consumer "rights"?

Who forced you to see a movie? And what about the movie you see that turned out better than you expected? Does the movie studio then get the "right" to charge you extra after the fact? I love movies but going to the theater a lot is expensive, which is why God invented Netflix. I don't sit at home thinking - gee, I wish someone would build an IMAX theater near me and make nothing but movies I consider impeccable and have someone from my bank waiting for me in the lobby with a laser printer after it's over to hand me a refund check in case it was crap.

If you buy a game and return it, how does the store know you didn't copy it, or beat it and then not want it any more? It's not the same as returning a pair of pants. Unless you're a ultra-psychotic seamstress, you can't pirate pants. Ever heard of downloading a trial?

Trust me, I think music people, movie people, game people and the publishing industry need to rethink how they do business these days. But this belief of "I am owed X, Y, and Z under all circumstances" is beyond poisoned selfishness. It's admitting how helpless you think you are over your own life - bad decisions are no longer your fault. You make a poor choice and someone else is to blame. You think a product is too expensive, you demand a lower price that's acceptable to you, never mind that the marketplace finds it acceptable or that someone else worse off than you thinks your price is still too high. If you can't afford something, work at improving your station in life. Move to a different city, a different state, a different country. That's what I did. Do something other than b!tching about how the world doesn't always revolve around you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Jan 2010   #114
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Well,, first off,, I am not talking about the money spent in regards to weather or not I can afford something... That is for me to decide and no one else.

But, there is such things as lemon laws for cars and products.
Movies, Music, Games, Software etc. are all products. Regardless of where they came from.
Regardless of anything really... if you aren't happy with the purchase, or the content, there should be some recourse for consumers on this issue. But there is none,, zero,, nada.

Yes, if a game, software, movie, music Cd, whatever, sucks, then I should be able to get my money back.
But instead, I am treated as an untrusted consumer,, or criminal because I am dissatisfied with the product.

Have I consumed that product? yes

Even Food Companies and Resturaunts offer refunds for their products.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2010   #115
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
But, there is such things as lemon laws for cars and products.
Movies, Music, Games, Software etc. are all products. Regardless of where they came from.
Regardless of anything really... if you aren't happy with the purchase, or the content, there should be some recourse for consumers on this issue. But there is none,, zero,, nada.
Of course, lemon laws for cars are very specific in what they cover and are there to protect against something different.

For example, you cannot buy a car and then later say that it 1) rides too rough and 2) you don't like the cloth seats and take it back and get your money back.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
Yes, if a game, software, movie, music Cd, whatever, sucks, then I should be able to get my money back.
I disagree...if stores were to do this, they would be overrun with returns from people who used products and got their enjoyment from them and this would cause higher prices, etc from these retailers.

It's not the stores fault if you walk in, buy a cd and are unhappy with the songs that are on the cd. If the cd is faulty, they need to replace it for you...but they shouldn't refund your money if you didn't like the music.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
Even Food Companies and Resturaunts offer refunds for their products.
But typically, you take 1 or 2 bites and complain that there is something wrong. And most often they simply take it back to the kitchen and bring you back out the same thing. I bet you would have a harder time if you consumed the entire thing and then complained in the end that it wasn't as tasty as you had hoped. You might get away with it once or twice...but as a general rule, restaurants aren't going to simply refund your money in that case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2010   #116
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote:
but they shouldn't refund your money if you didn't like the music.
And why Not?

Because as a consumer I cant be trusted anyway.
So, then what real incentive do I have then to become a trusted consumer.
None.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2010   #117
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

If you don't like the music, blame the artist...not the store that you purchased the cd from. Especially in this day and age when you can typically sample the songs on Amazon.com or listen to the CD's in their entirely in stores like FYE.

And again, with stuff like music...if you were a store would you want to stock merchandise on the shelf knowing that some will come in, buy it, rip it and then take it back and say it wasn't what they wanted and then you would give them all of their money back. That sure would impact your bottom line, probably cause you to either raise prices or not stock merchandise like movies or music...which ultimately hurts the consumer who wants to shop at your store.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2010   #118
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

I requote myself

Quote:
Because as a consumer I cant be trusted anyway.
So, what real incentive do I have then to become a trusted consumer?
None.
This is not coming from stores alone,,, this is from the industry as a whole.
If it were merchants alone, this may be a different story, and I might be on your side,, but it's not.

So, what is stopping anyone from producing garbage (which is done, can't deny it) and then selling it and making a mint? That's right, none.

True I don't have to buy it, or see it.

But can you honestly tell me, that you are fine with purchasing garbage and having no recourse for a refund?

If you say yes, you are either in the pockets with them
Or, you don't really care about the issue, or you have another agenda

You can not honestly, and forthright claim yes to that statement.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2010   #119
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
I requote myself

Quote:
Because as a consumer I cant be trusted anyway.
So, what real incentive do I have then to become a trusted consumer?
None.
To that I would say, Buck up and accept responsibilities for your action. If you buy a cd and you don't like it...then don't support that artist anymore or don't continue to buy music. Sometimes in life you have to take chances and accept the consequences.

People all too often just hide behind the excuses. It's not fair, it's too limited, my rights are being violated, etc. It's like Windows...if you don't like what it costs...don't run it. It's as simple as that. You don't "need" Windows on your computer for it to function. But if Linux won't meet your needs because you are a gamer...then accept the fact that you will have to pay for a copy of Windows and just buy it and be done with it. If games are that important to you, the copy of the OS should be acceptable to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2010   #120
Colonel Travis

Black Label 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
But, there is such things as lemon laws for cars and products.
Movies, Music, Games, Software etc. are all products. Regardless of where they came from.
Regardless of anything really... if you aren't happy with the purchase, or the content, there should be some recourse for consumers on this issue. But there is none,, zero,, nada.
As far as I know you can return any video game or CD or DVD to any retailer as long as you haven't opened it. If you can't, screw them they should go out of business. But what happens when you open it? You cannot prove you haven't played it or copied it. If every retailer changed their policy, every game, every DVD, every CD would be opened, copied and returned.

All products and services are not alike. You can't pirate a Ford 150. You can't unsee a movie. You live in the information age. How about getting some information about stuff before opening your wallet? You act like everyone else is responsible for your bank account and general decision-making except you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Continuing the Fight Against Piracy.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
cant fight the right drivers (probably)
The main problem is that my mouse stops working sometimes... i chaged mouse and still the same (maybe the 2nd mouse less often not sure) so i go to device manager and see that usb + sm drivers are not installed =>code 28 (my windows are in greek so maybe my translation is not perfect) windows: 7...
Drivers
More fan! (the continuing saga)
I had previously accidentally purchased and then installed a 200mm fan in my case for intake, (as seen in THIS THREAD, and was told to get some sort of exhaust fan. Well, not knowing my Cooler Master 500W power supply has an exhaust fan built in, I went and ordered a 120mm Cooler Master sickleflow...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Continuing BSODs
I have a weird problem here. I'm getting repeated BSODs for no apparent reason. As I make regular disk images of my boot partition, I'm able to revert my machine to a known good condition. Once so reverted, there are no BSODs for a while until I make--apparently--ANY kind of change to the system....
BSOD Help and Support
Continuing DNS problems.... please help!
Hi all, Having some serious problems with my computer establishing a wireless connection. Here's the situation: I have a desktop which I have a Linksys Wireless G adapter connected to. I'm trying to connect to a linksys wireless router that someone forgot to put security on. I DO NOT have physical...
Network & Sharing
Continuing to Help Fight Hunger with Browser for the Be
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App