Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Continuing the Fight Against Piracy.

18 Jan 2010   #121
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Again,,,

so,, there is no such thing as a Trusted Consumer.

Quote:
You act like everyone else is responsible for your bank account and general decision-making except you.
No I don't, absolutely not,,, see my sig for one.
But I believe that there should be some recourse/protection for consumers when it comes to music, software, game and movies.

One of the biggest problems with music, (and yes,, new avenues ahve opened up to get only the songs you want off a disc,, this is true), but artists may have one song per CD that is actually any good.

I am not going to argue about piracy,,, cause I am not advocating it or arguing for it.
I am arguing the rights of individuals to be protected from purchasing garbage.

You can't always tell from a trial of something, or listening to a snippet of a song or seeing the previews of a movie.

It's not hard to make a pile of dog poo look really good, that's not hard to do with movies and music.
Spending more time researching weather I want to see or hear something before actually doing so, is, well, stupid. And can be a waste of time.

I am a big advocate of voting with dollars,, no company is too big to fail.
So don't go there with me.

but consumers should ahve some rights in this area where they have none.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Jan 2010   #122
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
So, what is stopping anyone from producing garbage (which is done, can't deny it) and then selling it and making a mint? That's right, none.
Ok, well Metallica recently released a new cd "Death Magnetic" and for Metallica fans it was great because it was a return to their older style. However, the recording the CD as a whole left a lot to be desired. In fact, if you google it you will find many stories about how it was too loud and distorted, etc.

At the end of the day, I'm disappointed in the sound quality...but don't feel that Best Buy should return my money to me. I can make a choice the next time that Metallica releases another CD..as to whether I will continue to support them as a band. At the end of the day though, I liked the songs and went to see Metallica perform live and it was fantastic. So, the $9.99 that I spent was worth it...even though the sound quality is not great.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
But can you honestly tell me, that you are fine with purchasing garbage and having no recourse for a refund?
To me, I buy a ton of CD's. I've only had a few (like the one mentioned above), that was really a problem. If overall, an overwhelming majority of what was being produced was garbage and I felt it was garbage...I wouldn't require a refund because I would stop purchasing it all together. But overall, I have been genuinely happy with well over 95% of the materials that I am purchasing. Perhaps other people need to do a bit more research before making their purchases and would have less remorse in the end. Or perhaps people need to realize that they take a chance with their choices. Not all cd's will be great, not all movies will be exactly what you want....but life is an experience and sometimes it costs a bit.

Here is another example. In July I bought parts to build a new PC. One thing I bought was a Seagate 1TB 7200.12 hard drive. For whatever reason, in my new computer, the access times were off (25-40ms). Nothing that I tried resolved the problem. However, when put into another machine, it performed just fine. Rather than fight NewEgg and try to get my money back...which would be hard since it wasn't really the hard drive that was defective..it worked in other machines just not the 1 that I bought it for....I simply bought a new Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB for my new machine, put the Seagate 7200.12 into my main linux box and now have the 320GB WD that was in the Linux box as a spare. Sure, some would have fought with NewEgg for that money back, but after analyzing the situation, I realized this was not NewEgg's fault and just went with the drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2010   #123
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote:
I wouldn't require a refund
But that is your choice to not ask for one...

So who left you in charge of all this to make that decision for me?

You are then saying that because you don't think I should be asking for a refund I do not deserve one?

Tyranny comes in many packages.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Jan 2010   #124
Colonel Travis

Black Label 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
Again,,,
I am arguing the rights of individuals to be protected from purchasing garbage.
At first I could not understand why you'd say such a thing, because I'm on your side with most your points, Tepid. Honestly. Then I read the following:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
Again,,,
Spending more time researching weather I want to see or hear something before actually doing so, is, well, stupid. And can be a waste of time.
No wonder you're mad about wasting your money.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2010   #125
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

There is a difference between looking and stuff (reviews etc) and spending a lot of time deciding weather you want to do something. I didn't fully clarify that, it was kinda flippant.

Reading a couple reviews isn't really going to tell you a whole lot.
Roger and Ebert used to give thumbs up to some really crappy movies. you can't go on that alone and opinions are like A-holes. So, spending more time researching than actually doing is in fact stupid.
So, after making the decision, and finding that others opinons were not in line with mine, leaves me out of pocket on something I did not enjoy.

Hope that helps clarify it better.


*****
For the record,, if you read my sig, you have to know that I am not against anyone making money. I am a true capitalist. But there also needs to be true balance. And in this industry there is none.

I am not trying to get something for nothing,, which brings me back to the Trusted Consumer. Are we all criminals? Are we all to be treated as such?
Really? If you don't think that is what this all boils down to, then your heads in the sand.

I have made some pretty flippant statements, true. But I am not irresponsible about decisions either. But after making a decision, and buying into something that turns out to be garbage and having no recourse to recoup costs?

How does that really benefit the consumer at all?
In what way?

I, the consumer, not only wasted my time, but also my money, a consumer should be able to recoup the money.

And as stated,, people have the choice to get a refund or not, and if they liked it, then they shouldn't be asking for one. But again,, what choice does anyone have now? None.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #126
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
Roger and Ebert used to give thumbs up to some really crappy movies. you can't go on that alone and opinions are like A-holes. So, spending more time researching than actually doing is in fact stupid.
Of course, if you are talking about a 90 minute movie that costs $8...why would you put that much time into researching it? There comes a time when your time has more value than the research.

I just seriously don't see how you can justify being able to get your money back if you claim that you did not like a film. What would stop somebody then from seeing all of the films showing and then asking for a refund for 75% or more of them simply because they felt they didn't get their monies worth??? How do you quantify whether or not you enjoyed the film? Exactly how much enjoyment would you require in order to accept paying for the movie? Maybe if you only like the movie 50%, you could get 1/2 of your money back???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #127
DrWho

Windows XP-Pro-SP3, Windows 7
 
 

On the topic of software prices, I'm reminded of my all time favorite quote from a very poor eastern European country....... "We don't buy no steenkin' sofware!"

Over there, it's not piracy, but just self preservation. When companies like Microsoft get REAL with their software and OS pricing, then piracy will no longer be necessary.

Anything sold in any store in town, can be found on the internet in just a few seconds and downloaded in a few minutes.

I'm certainly NOT advocating software piracy, but merely saying that in many places around the world, its a way of life.

Cheers Mates!
The Doctor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #128
Colonel Travis

Black Label 7 x64
 
 

Tepid - I know where you're coming from, appreciate the debate. I've gone on imdb many times and seen a movie rated well and then I'll see it and think - what the hell movie did these people see? My recourse for that at this point in my life is to not see any first run film in a theater unless there's a 99.99% guarantee that I'm gonna like it. There's a dollar theater around the corner from me, and there's Netflix. Not going to pay these Hollywood morons any more money than I have to. Actually, it's my approach to everything else in the marketplace - prove to my wallet that you are not a @#$!% moron.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2010   #129
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
Tepid - I know where you're coming from, appreciate the debate. I've gone on imdb many times and seen a movie rated well and then I'll see it and think - what the hell movie did these people see? My recourse for that at this point in my life is to not see any first run film in a theater unless there's a 99.99% guarantee that I'm gonna like it. There's a dollar theater around the corner from me, and there's Netflix. Not going to pay these Hollywood morons any more money than I have to. Actually, it's my approach to everything else in the marketplace - prove to my wallet that you are not a @#$!% moron.
I too appreciate the debate here.And I understand what you say as well,, and I agree. Which is why we don't go out much either and maybe seee 2 movies a year, if that in the theater.

Netflix is a better deal, especially with BluRay now.

Just watch South Park episode with Mel Gibson and the Christ movie.
I feel like Stan and Kyle sometimes. Hunt them down and demand a refund.

Anyway, I think I have made my point enough on this subject.

See ya.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2010   #130
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote:
Of course, if you are talking about a 90 minute movie that costs $8
Ok,, one more point,,,,

Try something more like 40$ for 2 people.

If you want to talk about an industry that makes WAYYYyy too much money,, try hollywood an sports.
Most of them people really don't deserve what they make. I won't stand in there way of doing it, but people really should put these people in there places and stop contributing the kinda money they do to them.

Voting with dollars is a much more powerful tool than law.

Oh,, just thought,, we might have to bail them out too cause they are too big to fail.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Continuing the Fight Against Piracy.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
cant fight the right drivers (probably)
The main problem is that my mouse stops working sometimes... i chaged mouse and still the same (maybe the 2nd mouse less often not sure) so i go to device manager and see that usb + sm drivers are not installed =>code 28 (my windows are in greek so maybe my translation is not perfect) windows: 7...
Drivers
More fan! (the continuing saga)
I had previously accidentally purchased and then installed a 200mm fan in my case for intake, (as seen in THIS THREAD, and was told to get some sort of exhaust fan. Well, not knowing my Cooler Master 500W power supply has an exhaust fan built in, I went and ordered a 120mm Cooler Master sickleflow...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Continuing BSODs
I have a weird problem here. I'm getting repeated BSODs for no apparent reason. As I make regular disk images of my boot partition, I'm able to revert my machine to a known good condition. Once so reverted, there are no BSODs for a while until I make--apparently--ANY kind of change to the system....
BSOD Help and Support
Continuing DNS problems.... please help!
Hi all, Having some serious problems with my computer establishing a wireless connection. Here's the situation: I have a desktop which I have a Linksys Wireless G adapter connected to. I'm trying to connect to a linksys wireless router that someone forgot to put security on. I DO NOT have physical...
Network & Sharing
Continuing to Help Fight Hunger with Browser for the Be
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App