Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Murdoch: illegal downloading is like stealing a handbag

18 Mar 2010   #101
macgyver2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

if downloading movies is illegal why are DVR's and set top DVD recorders legal? Blank DVD burners and discs cost next to nothing which also makes this even easier to do. They want to stop pirates but the industries make it so dam easy.

Oh and most of you should talk with the people put in charge of stopping pirates or other illegal activities on the internet its not as easy as Hollywood makes it out to be. I worked in Cyber Crimes for 10+ years and its just gotten easier for the pirates and harder for the "cops"

the whole system of Govt. corporations etc all need to upgrade to 21st century and leave the past business models where they belong in the past. Health care, Govts. well hell everything including education needs to upgrade to 2.1 or above all ready. We want to police the internet with 20th and 19th century laws when the internet wasn't even a sparkle in an eye. Its time for US all to grow up and smell the new world cause its not what we grew up in. Heck end all this and abolish copyrights all together and make information free (and in a non illegal way) HACK THE PLANET!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Mar 2010   #102
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dmex View Post
"The idea that there's a new consumer class and you have to be consumer-friendly when they're stealing stuff. No. There should be the same level of sanctity as there is around property. Content is no different. They're not crazy kids. No. Punish them."

These guys must be light headed from their flying or high.

The same laws protecting their current content also protects it anywhere regardless if its on the internet, in a shop or where ever else it is.

If you build a shop without walls you can expect people to come walking in and steal things but complaining about it and trying to get governments todo something about people stealing from your wall-less/window-less shop is a bit rich.

Why should governments do anything? If these corporations want to stop piracy they should protect their content better, Its not the governments job to protect a private citizins or company's work or property.

If the government does this then everyone and their dog will be paying to protect these corporations interests at our expense, They already require restrictive DRM conten so what else do they want and what are they really after?
RIGHT ON!!! I don't want to even get started on "bigger government." Just another sham for big brother to control the blue collar worker. I believe piracy will eventually reach a government level of control. When it does, we are all *bleeped*!


Max
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2010   #103
jorpe

7600x64 ultimate, not SP1
 
 

RE: this argument, legit questions... Can you use other methods to secure backup media for an O/S re installation if you've lost your media but have a copy of your license number?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Mar 2010   #104
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

The important thing is not where or how you got the installation media, that is a bi-product. You pay for the licence, the key, so as far as you use that key, you can install from any media. If your mate gave you a self made copy of Windows, it's OK to use it and install as long as the key used to activate it is legal and for that edition.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2010   #105
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
The important thing is not where or how you got the installation media, that is a bi-product. You pay for the licence, the key, so as far as you use that key, you can install from any media. If your mate gave you a self made copy of Windows, it's OK to use it and install as long as the key used to activate it is legal and for that edition.

Kari
That's not always true. I don't know how it works with Windows 7, but with my XP installation CD you had to have the key that matched the CD, or it wouldn't accept it to install. Perhaps that's changed for 7 though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2010   #106
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MadMaxData View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
The important thing is not where or how you got the installation media, that is a bi-product. You pay for the licence, the key, so as far as you use that key, you can install from any media. If your mate gave you a self made copy of Windows, it's OK to use it and install as long as the key used to activate it is legal and for that edition.

Kari
That's not always true. I don't know how it works with Windows 7, but with my XP installation CD you had to have the key that matched the CD, or it wouldn't accept it to install. Perhaps that's changed for 7 though.
During the last half a year I've installed Seven to several computers using only one Ultimate DVD and a different key.

This is a Windows 7 forum. The question was about installing Windows 7. My answer is valid and true. Period.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2010   #107
Everlong

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MadMaxData View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
The important thing is not where or how you got the installation media, that is a bi-product. You pay for the licence, the key, so as far as you use that key, you can install from any media. If your mate gave you a self made copy of Windows, it's OK to use it and install as long as the key used to activate it is legal and for that edition.

Kari
That's not always true. I don't know how it works with Windows 7, but with my XP installation CD you had to have the key that matched the CD, or it wouldn't accept it to install. Perhaps that's changed for 7 though.
During the last half a year I've installed Seven to several computers using only one Ultimate DVD and a different key.

This is a Windows 7 forum. The question was about installing Windows 7. My answer is valid and true. Period.

Kari
I have to agree with Kari. You can use the same disk/.iso on as many computers as you want aslong as the product key used is a unique one for each installation. I keep using the same .iso for 7 that I got off MSDN and keep on my HDD and have installed the x86 and x64 on a handful of PCs, but have got a new product key off MSDN each time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 Murdoch: illegal downloading is like stealing a handbag




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Illegal OS after 4-5years ?
Hi to all members, this is my first posting & am average PC know how user so am not up with all technical terms ! My laptop is approximately 5-6yr. old ( HP Pavillion dv6 - 1215ax, 4gb ram, 175gb hd ) original came with os Vista Home Premium already installed . Twelve months after purchasing I...
Windows Updates & Activation
Illegal Instruction ?
Hi ,Can anyone tell me what this attachment means & how can I put an end to it? It's always popping up every time I start any browser.
Browsers & Mail
illegal usage.
Hi everyone. I have an interloper piggybacking my router. How do I remove them! I was looking in the client list of my Belkin router(F5D7230-4) and found another person using my network. The person has an Iphone. How do delete this person from using my network? Any suggestions will be...
Network & Sharing
Is it Illegal To...
Download Software from a Torrent Site, If you have purchased the Full Product But Broke the Cd/dvd for the installation? Not Saying i have i was just wondering :D
Software
'Supergran' batters thieves with handbag
Full story with the actual video: 'Supergran' batters thieves with handbag - CNN.com Kari
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:35.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App