Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Pirates Given Sentence

17 Apr 2009   #51
win7

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64 Windows 8 Enterprise RTM x64
 
 

Another thing i have been thinking about is that the people governing all this are probably old and quite technophobic, and in all reality you can't break something if you don't understand how it works.

They seem to be now targeting popular torrent sites which host files linking pc2pc..

What about all the warez boards, how will they respond to "We host none of the listed files on our server, please take up your complaint with rapidshare.* etc.." ??


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Apr 2009   #52
damoh

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wmacdona View Post
Please tell me why downloading from a torrent is not criminal
If stealing the same thing from a retail store is.

Just justifying your thievery by using the Internet
All you criminals do, is to make honest people pay more.
To be fair i see your point. But surely you see ours? You cant compare stealing from say HMV to downloading off PB. You cant do it, the comparison is not there to be had. If you drove your car faster then the limit and got caught would you sue the people who sold you the car? No? why not? they gave you the means to do it and you did it. Its the same as the PB. Just because they gave you the means to do something does not mean that you have to. Same as a shop. Perhaps if they did not put pretty packaging on shelves then no-one would see it. Oh sorry officer that dvd was sooo pretty i had to have it. No mate, its the same. Just because i can get in my car right now does not mean i have to.
I work hard, i own two companies and im a area manager for a large hotel chain. So im an honest person so really am i making myself pay? No, as RST101 said, the industries are making money from this, not loosing it as they would have you believe. Or you can take it to the next level. The industries will sue virgin or BT or whomever your with because they sold you the internet you use to download it. If they did not allow you to download so fast you wouldnt do it. Its a circle mate really it is. But at the end of the day i respect what your saying, doesnt mean i agree with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2009   #53
wmacdona

Windows 7 x64 7000
 
 

Steal physical material and digital are all on a different level, so different views, people ethics are different. What is stealing exactly? When you take something from someone else and they are left with nothing?

Digital material is copying. Or stealing from the industries? Is it criminal to go to a friends house and watch a video you didnt pay for? What so different than sharing that video to your friend so he can watch it? Is it because hes your friend that makes it not seem so bad? Take to mind all the reasons for sharing i posted above, im sure there are more.

There are many opinions on what stealing is, and where the line is drawn when it comes to the law. Thats probably why this topic is so controversial


You know deep down that it is wrong and criminal.
Keep trying to justify your thievery.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Apr 2009   #54
damoh

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wmacdona View Post
Steal physical material and digital are all on a different level, so different views, people ethics are different. What is stealing exactly? When you take something from someone else and they are left with nothing?

Digital material is copying. Or stealing from the industries? Is it criminal to go to a friends house and watch a video you didnt pay for? What so different than sharing that video to your friend so he can watch it? Is it because hes your friend that makes it not seem so bad? Take to mind all the reasons for sharing i posted above, im sure there are more.

There are many opinions on what stealing is, and where the line is drawn when it comes to the law. Thats probably why this topic is so controversial


You know deep down that it is wrong and criminal.
Keep trying to justify your thievery.
Am i the only one starting to take this a little personally? So basically what your saying is that because i have downloaded a film, i am a thief? So if thats the case, and your on this site reading about Windows 7, and you read a thread about a torrent location, then that makes you an accomplise because you know where to get it.
See my point? I see yours but really there is a line. And to clarify your post, to steal and leave with nothing. To be honest if you could steal of me and i would make a load of money of it then i would leave my front door open. There hardly left with nothing. And no, thats not how i justify for downloading a film. Hollywood want my hard earned money they have to produce something i think is value.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2009   #55
win7

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64 Windows 8 Enterprise RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by damoh View Post
Am i the only one starting to take this a little personally? So basically what your saying is that because i have downloaded a film, i am a thief? So if thats the case, and your on this site reading about Windows 7, and you read a thread about a torrent location, then that makes you an accomplise because you know where to get it.
See my point? I see yours but really there is a line. And to clarify your post, to steal and leave with nothing. To be honest if you could steal of me and i would make a load of money of it then i would leave my front door open. There hardly left with nothing. And no, thats not how i justify for downloading a film. Hollywood want my hard earned money they have to produce something i think is value.
No your not the only one.
---
Right: I think we are going off topic, we are simply saying the owners of the piratebay have not physically done wrong. We are not condoning piracy in any way. Just saying it how it is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2009   #56
wmacdona

Windows 7 x64 7000
 
 

Am i the only one starting to take this a little personally? So basically what your saying is that because i have downloaded a film, i am a thief? So if thats the case, and your on this site reading about Windows 7, and you read a thread about a torrent location, then that makes you an accomplise because you know where to get it.
See my point? I see yours but really there is a line.

I see your point. Just reading something doesn't make me an accomplice to anything. I would never use a torrent site, and would never install anything to facilitate this.

If you wanted a film why didn't you either purchase or rent from a video store. Just because you have a want doesn't justify taking copyrighted material illegally.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2009   #57
damoh

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by win7 View Post
No your not the only one.
---
Right: I think we are going off topic, we are simply saying the owners of the piratebay have not physically done wrong. We are not condoning piracy in any way. Just saying it how it is.

I agree mate completly. Im not condoning piracy, and to be honest i enjoy a good debate, this has proven a good topic of chat. And i mean no offense in what i say. I just have strong feelings about things like this. Obviously everyone else does too. So its fun to see how these things pan out
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2009   #58
damoh

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wmacdona View Post
Am i the only one starting to take this a little personally? So basically what your saying is that because i have downloaded a film, i am a thief? So if thats the case, and your on this site reading about Windows 7, and you read a thread about a torrent location, then that makes you an accomplise because you know where to get it.
See my point? I see yours but really there is a line.

I see your point. Just reading something doesn't make me an accomplice to anything. I would never use a torrent site, and would never install anything to facilitate this.

If you wanted a film why didn't you either purchase or rent from a video store. Just because you have a want doesn't justify taking copyrighted material illegally.

With all due respect mate im this may be my last post on this subject. I am starting to take your comments a little personally. Ive explained in my last post that no, im not a thief and as far as i am concerened i work hard enough in my life that i can do whatever i please. And you seriously cannot sit there and tell me that you have never once done anything wrong in your life. And yes if you know where a torrent link is then you are an accompliss if you believe what the industry tell you. After all the owners of the PB know where the links are and look whats happened to them
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2009   #59
win7

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64 Windows 8 Enterprise RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by damoh View Post
I agree mate completly. Im not condoning piracy, and to be honest i enjoy a good debate, this has proven a good topic of chat. And i mean no offense in what i say. I just have strong feelings about things like this. Obviously everyone else does too. So its fun to see how these things pan out
Yep i am also enjoying this thread, and your very right we all have opinions on this, some more biased than others but.. yeah
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2009   #60
damoh

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by win7 View Post
Yep i am also enjoying this thread, and your very right we all have opinions on this, some more biased than others but.. yeah

You mean like good old chrisnt from longhorn days
And wheres RST101 when i need him to inject some sense into a topic
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 Pirates Given Sentence




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Hard to Explain in one sentence (Sorry)
So this one is kinda hard to explain, but i try my best. Now, to start off, i wanted to install Windows 8 on a PC that had Windows 7 on it, so far so good. But then came the problem: HP likes to encrypt drives without one knowing it, and then as i deleted (i had Linux installed on another partition...
Installation & Setup
Sid Meiers Pirates!
There are games that will not lie down and die, the remake of the 1987 classic Pirates, to my mind, is one of them. I have it working perfectly on Win 8, but it reports that dll - msvcp71.dll - is missing on my Win 7 x 64 laptop. Why? I found and installed the dll into win 7 but still no joy. I...
Gaming
New approach to pirates?
Right now I'm very sick... It's horrible and my thinking process is very hazy, I was playing a few games on my PSP and it was hard to know what was going on. Anyway, I just read a few articles about piracy from "TorrentFreak" and have thought of a more moral and simple solution to piracy. If a...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:17.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App