Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7's new feature: Windows XP Mode

24 Apr 2009   #11
Deathsink

Windows Vista SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by napilopez View Post
I disagree actually. I haven't had any trouble with XP apps that a "mom" would use. Most of the application incompatibilities come with more powerful apps that delve deeper into the system, which tends to happen with business users and stuff. I really doubt moms and other less tech saavy casuals will really need such a feature.
This is really good to hear.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Apr 2009   #12
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Interesting...but when did Virtual PC get to version 7?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Apr 2009   #13
SiliconAddict

XP & Vista
 
 

Meh. While I think enterprise customers will take a serious look at this I can guarantee you there are three big question the all will have for MS before they go anywhere near Win 7 with XP Mode

1. How is this virtualized environment sandboxed from the rest of the network, read the networking stack in Win7 and how is it sandboxed from the rest of the system.

2. Does this mean they now need to patch anything that comes out for Windows 7 AND Windows XP. If so you just doubled your testing load prior to patch deployment.

3. What are the base system requirement for Win 7 + XP Mode and what performance can you get off of real world 3Ghz P4's and early 2Ghz C2D's. Then there is the memory footprint needed for both OS's to run. One of the bigger reasons why companies didn't bit on Vista was the hardware requirement. If the requirements for Vista = (Win 7 + XP Mode) Its a wash to get on the latest and greatest if it means you need to drop money on new hardware. Also there is overhead on laptops. Just how badly does this impact battery performance. Because the idea is that compatibility is no longer an issue. Well it it impacts battery life in a big way it certainly is.


Don't get me wrong. All of the questions above may very well have been worked out by MS already. I'm just saying that IT folk aren't idiots...well most aren't. Most don't automatically accept something at face value. There are almost always underlying factors involved in rolling out something new and the pros and cons are always weighed. I will be interested in finding out more about this as we get more details.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Apr 2009   #14
SiliconAddict

XP & Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Interesting...but when did Virtual PC get to version 7?

Now
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Apr 2009   #15
looniam

window 7 build 7048 x64
 
 

the posted article fails to mention you need to have a cpu with VT. the CNET article that is linked specifies it. to see if yours does:

intel quads:
Intel® Core™2 Quad processor numbers

intel duos:
Intel® Core™2 Duo processor numbers

all extreme and i7s have VT.

unfortunately because the workstations at my job have E4600 C2Ds it would still cost a buttload of $ to integrate to Win7.

sorry i am not familiar with AMD though the wikipedia article mentions which ones do have VT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualization_technology
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Apr 2009   #16
raj11650

win 7 build 7600.16385 x64
 
 

whats xp mode

is it xp mode compatibality something like that!!!

i got a tv turner which doest have driver in win 7
so i have to boot in xp if i want to get tv turner

so will this xp mode allow me to install tv turner on win 7!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Apr 2009   #17
Lebon14

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

^ raj1402. The WinXP Mode is for SOFTWARES not drivers. Also, I'm pretty sure somewhere someone did an homebrew driver for your TV Tuner. Just search around and you'll find one and since W7 is compatible with Vista's drivers, you are in paradise.

P.S It was not confirmed that this WinXP Mode will only be for SOFTWARES. Just I thought this way since XP's drivers system is different from Vista & Win7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2009   #18
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SiliconAddict View Post
Meh. While I think enterprise customers will take a serious look at this I can guarantee you there are three big question the all will have for MS before they go anywhere near Win 7 with XP Mode

1. How is this virtualized environment sandboxed from the rest of the network, read the networking stack in Win7 and how is it sandboxed from the rest of the system.

2. Does this mean they now need to patch anything that comes out for Windows 7 AND Windows XP. If so you just doubled your testing load prior to patch deployment.

3. What are the base system requirement for Win 7 + XP Mode and what performance can you get off of real world 3Ghz P4's and early 2Ghz C2D's. Then there is the memory footprint needed for both OS's to run. One of the bigger reasons why companies didn't bit on Vista was the hardware requirement. If the requirements for Vista = (Win 7 + XP Mode) Its a wash to get on the latest and greatest if it means you need to drop money on new hardware. Also there is overhead on laptops. Just how badly does this impact battery performance. Because the idea is that compatibility is no longer an issue. Well it it impacts battery life in a big way it certainly is.


Don't get me wrong. All of the questions above may very well have been worked out by MS already. I'm just saying that IT folk aren't idiots...well most aren't. Most don't automatically accept something at face value. There are almost always underlying factors involved in rolling out something new and the pros and cons are always weighed. I will be interested in finding out more about this as we get more details.

C'mon guy -- what planet are you on.

You can run NOW decently performing XP VM's on a 1GB laptop running VMWARE. -- OK this won't run games or other stuff but works fine for Windows "Corporate front ends" like SAPGUI, ORACLE etc etc. and a load of real time XP Stock exchange data retrieval stuff etc etc.

The hardware you are talking about (especially if this is built into W7 itself) will run this without batting an eyelid. Great move by MS BTW.

Don't forget the way Virtual machines actually run means you can in no way compare their needs 1:1 with a real machine.

You can still do an awful lot on a 512MB XP virtual machine that you wouldn't even THINK of trying on a 512MB Real machine.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2009   #19
bigmamamonk

Windows 7
 
 

Guys isn't this bad even though it provides 100% compatibility?

I mean a virtual machine provides quite a bit of overhead so I kind of doubt performance might be optimal using XP Mode!!

If Win 7 would have been compatible without such workarounds I guess it would have been much better!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2009   #20
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmamamonk View Post
Guys isn't this bad even though it provides 100% compatibility?

I mean a virtual machine provides quite a bit of overhead so I kind of doubt performance might be optimal using XP Mode!!

If Win 7 would have been compatible without such workarounds I guess it would have been much better!

Hi there
Didn't you read the post in the thread just above yours.

1) Virtual machines don't necessarily cause much overhead -- what they DO need however is OODLES OF RAM and enough disk space for the Guest OS and its applications. Since Disk space is incredibly cheap these days only sufficient RAM will necessarily be needed. For a lot of comapatabilty "Officy" stuff you'll probably be able to run it on a 512MB Virtual machine which won't have any trouble running even on a moderate Office workplace desktop - which usually has a pretty standard 2GB RAM in it these days. Even if the equipment is OLD it will still have 1GB RAM -- still OK for a 512MB Virtual machine. CPU is very rarely an issue for VM's unless you are running some really hideously complex CPU bound application on the VM like a Weather forecasting run etc.

2) A lot of stuff for ALL sorts of reasons won't be compatable with W7 -- for example as I've often said hardware for which the manufactuer has long since gone out of business.

It's very easy to look at this from a Single Users point of view -- for example --junk that old printer I can get another one. Normally not too much of an issue.

BUT: Replicate that several hundred times in a large network with equipment costing from hundreds of dollars to several thousand (or more) and its a different ballgame - and besides there just might not currently be any equivalent hardware.

No in this case Microsoft have got it RIGHT - but we of course will need to see how it will be implemented in practice.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7's new feature: Windows XP Mode




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Update error 80073712 (sfc, windows feature, help not working)
Hello, my Windows Update is not working: it returns the error 80073712. It has been like this for several months. I tried to do sfc /scannow but it says: "beginning system scan. This process will take some time" and 2 seconds after it says "Windows Resource Protection could not preform the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Browser Feature In Windows XP Not Found In Windows 7
Hello, In the upper left hand corner of my browser window in Windows XP there is an arrow pointing down to the right of the arrows going forward and back. In Windows 7 I don't see this feature. What is the equivalent to this feature in Windows 7 if there is any? Thanks, Anne
Browsers & Mail
Windows 7 feature?
Hi, whenever I turn on or off "Number Lock" in my keyboard a notification message pops up in the lower right corner of the screen displaying the status (ON or OFF). Same for "Caps Lock". Is this a Windows 7 feature? If so, how can I disable it? Thanks (I went to Control Panel/Keyboard but found no...
General Discussion
Windows 7 Feature Focus Tablet PC and Windows Touch
More... http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/ff_tablet_touch.asp
News
Windows 7: a feature-rich OS
Read The Rest Here: Windows 7: a feature-rich OS
News
Windows 7 Feature Focus Windows Taskbar
Paul Thurrott's take on the new Superbar Windows 7 Feature Focus Windows Taskbar | winsupersite.com
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App