Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft seeking feedback for Internet Explorer 9

19 Jul 2009   #21
Fizban

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
2. Overall speed is not even close as fast as Safari or Firefox in overall internet viewing from what I have noticed.
IE isn't that slow compared to Firefox. That's because Firefox is a dog though. Both IE and Firefox drag behind Opera in terms of speed, and opera drags far, far behind Safari and Chrome.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Jul 2009   #22
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
IE feedback

personally I use Firefox. I also noticed quite a few IE installs where connectivity was lost because of the "automatically detect settings". that in itself would be reason not to use it until fixed

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2009   #23
matt_0978

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
Remember tabs from last session. this is much needed.
Ye, it offers to restore ur tabs after an unexpected shutdown so shudn't be too hard for them to implement this as users choice

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGundam View Post
I think the ability to have a different appearence (skins) would be nice, I also agree on the pausing downloads as well as the remember tabs from last session.

anyone remember hotbar? the idea was good, maybe M$ shud buy 'em out??

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by weaselciuy View Post
Buy firefox and relabel it as IE 9
+10
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jul 2009   #24
PotatoMan83

 

bookmark by number 1-9
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2009   #25
Burgurne

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 retail
 
 

See 2 tabs at the same time. Let user select 1 or 2 startpage(s) in each tap
Pause/resume downloads
let user set a download speedlimit pr tab, giving better scaling when downloading from severel places at the same time

For me FF is more confusing than IE because of the great numbers of plugin that it needs, and that activeX objects can't be used, not even in its own thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2009   #26
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
IE feedback

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Burgurne View Post
See 2 tabs at the same time. Let user select 1 or 2 startpage(s) in each tap
Pause/resume downloads
let user set a download speedlimit pr tab, giving better scaling when downloading from severel places at the same time

For me FF is more confusing than IE because of the great numbers of plugin that it needs, and that activeX objects can't be used, not even in its own thread.
Good ideas. what plugin's does firefox "need"?

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2009   #27
nowayback

windows 7
 
 

ie8 is very fast for me...faster then firefox ...seems to be a tie with google chrome, but i have many more toolbars oepning with ie8 which i want.
only problem is that my typed urls seem to get deleted now and then .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2009   #28
saverio

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there

IE9 should get back to basics

NO "pre defined" plugins, no stupid "Accelerators", etc etc.

The browser should just be a Browser -- no more and no less. That way it would be lightning fast.

Provide an API for any 3rd party plugins -- you'll kill 99% of viruses and nasties with this.

If people want to run scripts, adobe reader, multi media etc then this should be launched as a separate app -- not run from within the browser itself.

Cheers
jimbo
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RST101 View Post
I say scrap the whole internet explorer thing and go back to the drawing board and develop a whole new one that is unrelated to the IE family. I think it is a terrible browser, has always been a terrible browser and will always be a terrible browser, especially when you consider it is developed by the biggest software company on the planet.

IE for me has always been like trying to drive the garden shed through narrow country lanes, slow and cumbersome.

I totally agree with both of you.

I look at I.E. and in the context of Windows 7 it really is the last vestige of the dinosaur that the old OS's had become, and like 7 it needs not an overhaul on what's there already, but a total redesign from the ground up.

Once again, back t obasics, look at what people actually do with their browsers rather than what they think they will do.

I'd love to see tabs that can be docked to display side by side for comparative viewing, or even better, torn free of the main window and dragged off the browser to create a window of it's own.

I'm not really interested in accelerators and complexities, I want a lightning fast browser, with tabs that is fully compatible and alows me to save a download, and if I need to go away perhaps pause and resume at a later time. A propper download client within the browser.

And a proper API would be excellent, as you say it would stop a lot of the nasties getting in, at the moment MS has been kind enough to leave the back gate open and the keys in the door for far too long.

Also on the subject of browsers and the Euro edition why doesn't MS just have a folder on the desktop with the .exe files for IE, safari, FF, Chrome etc and then it can say that the choice is there all along. A little presentation from each of the mfrs pitching their product's plus points and there you go, MS proactively giving choice, and therefore, taking the wind out of the whingers sails .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2009   #29
Black Antitoon

Windows 7 RC1 (build 7100)
 
 

My suggestion is to stop developing Internet Explorer, and gradually fade it out from Windows, the same way they did for winhlp32.exe. First stop developing it, then remove it making it available from their website, then stop even supporting it. The money or the man power wasted (because it's a waste) on IE could be better spent on other stuff, like the development of Windows. Windows 7 is good, but it could be even better if they didn't waste their time and money developing IE 8.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2009   #30
Sven

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by saverio View Post
Also on the subject of browsers and the Euro edition why doesn't MS just have a folder on the desktop with the .exe files for IE, safari, FF, Chrome etc and then it can say that the choice is there all along. A little presentation from each of the mfrs pitching their product's plus points and there you go, MS proactively giving choice, and therefore, taking the wind out of the whingers sails .
That is what the EU-guys wanted Microsoft to do, but Microsoft choosed to remove the browser instead. Why should Microsoft spend time and money advertising for their competitors? I can fully understand MS in this.

Quote:
Good ideas. what plugin's does firefox "need"?

Ken
Spellchecking in my language (at least the version I tried), security plug-in for my homebanking as FF don't support ActiveX.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft seeking feedback for Internet Explorer 9




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft Internet Explorer Quit
I use Firefox. My wife uses IE. IE will start up...get white screen with busy notice as usual and just disappears. IE will not start. Firefox is fine. Cannot figure this. Any help appreciated. Thank you.
General Discussion
Microsoft Internet Explorer 9
How do I permanently stop getting this warnings in Microsoft Internet Explorer 9: Not Enough Storage is a available to process command and also "Invalid Agrument"?
Browsers & Mail
Seeking [HKCU\CurrentVers.\Explorer\FileExt\.dll]
I didnt export the original, as I should have =P if someone would be so kind as to upload one. I would be most greatful.
General Discussion
Microsoft Internet Explorer 9
Can anyone tell me if MIE9 has reinstalled to progress bar yet? If not I'll continue to stick with 8. Yes I know chrome firefox etc are better, but I prefer IE.
Browsers & Mail
Microsoft already seeking developer input for Office 16
Microsoft already seeking developer input for Office 16 | ZDNet
News
Is this Microsoft's new Internet Explorer 9 interface?
more at source..
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:37.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App