Windows 7 build 6956 beats Windows XP SP3

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #10

    johngalt said:
    I like Vista over XP as much as the next Vistax65 fan - but I have to say that W7 is a much better and smoother OS _ it *looks* slick while being fast.

    I do wonder, though, how Adrian can get a system to boot in 20 seconds flat. I suppose if you have every option turned off in your BIOS and boot directly to your HD and don't press CTRL ALT DEL to log in and have no PW, it might be faster - but I prefer a bit of security and chances to look at what is going on....
    Vista x65???
    you mean x64 or there something secret i dont know...

    i think hes counting from after post...
    and to get to the 7 already logged automatically (meaning no password)
    and yes once i saw the times...
    i am thinking that its a bit too much praise for 7
    dont get me wrong i love 7 over Vista Xp Me and even 2000 (2000 was just too bland for me...)
    and it is slick and way faster (i almost got my boot time cut in half)
    but the only way to get such a boot including POST would be in at least RAID 0
    (or a solid state drive)
    as some machines can output up to 320 mb/s (In RAID, has to be Hardware Raid though or there is not much benefit....)
    just my two cents...
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 12,364
    8 Pro x64
       #11

    I'm a little surprised that SP1 got such a bum kicking compared to RTM
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #12

    johngalt said:
    I like Vista over XP as much as the next Vistax65 fan - but I have to say that W7 is a much better and smoother OS _ it *looks* slick while being fast.

    I do wonder, though, how Adrian can get a system to boot in 20 seconds flat. I suppose if you have every option turned off in your BIOS and boot directly to your HD and don't press CTRL ALT DEL to log in and have no PW, it might be faster - but I prefer a bit of security and chances to look at what is going on....

    • Phenom 9700 quad-core processor
    • ATI Radeon 3850 graphics card with 256MB RAM
    • ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe motherboard
    • 2GB (2 x 1GB) Corsair Dominator CM2X1024-8500C5D RAM
    • Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM 150GB primary hard drive
    • Western Digital Caviar 7,200RPM 500GB secondary hard drive
    the 10,000 rmp drive helps...
    alot

    i believe the ram is the bottleneck for vista...
    and the fact he didnt disable superfetch
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 47
    Windows 7 Build 7057 x64/7068 x86
       #13

    i've always disliked XP due to the slow prefetch load at the start when desktop appears.
    it's kind of annoying when you see your desktop loaded and realized that nothing is responding until the prefetch load is done.

    and yea, SP3 makes it worse.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #14

    zm91 said:
    i've always disliked XP due to the slow prefetch load at the start when desktop appears.
    it's kind of annoying when you see your desktop loaded and realized that nothing is responding until the prefetch load is done.

    and yea, SP3 makes it worse.
    ehh i always disable prefetch...
    almost never needed it since i use random apps and i unnistall them at any moments notice...
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 47
    Windows 7 Build 7057 x64/7068 x86
       #15

    darkassain said:
    ehh i always disable prefetch...
    almost never needed it since i use random apps and i unnistall them at any moments notice...
    haha, prefetch is rather important for me as i do the exact opposite to you.

    i dont really uninstall programs unless i need to free up my hard drive space. (which have been taken up by most games, lol)
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #16

    zm91 said:
    haha, prefetch is rather important for me as i do the exact opposite to you.

    i dont really uninstall programs unless i need to free up my hard drive space. (which have been taken up by most games, lol)
    every user uses an os differently and thats a good thing
    variety is good which is why we have so many OS's or "OS flavors" floating around waiting to be installed on a system

    i for one have in vm's gOS, Ubuntu, Red Hat, Windows 7 (6801 x64+6956x32), and Windows Xp (sometimes for fun i install 95 or Me... good old times....)
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,402
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
       #17

    Those are dark memories....
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #18

    echrada said:
    Those are dark memories....
    dark memories are those of DOS, Windows 1.0.....
    as the demo for windows said...
    "It even Includes a clock"
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,402
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
       #19

    Yes but my clock is free floating now, not even a sidebar. Unthinkable in the days of '95, etc.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:34.
Find Us