Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dell knowingly sold defective computers

03 Jul 2010   #31
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Luckystar View Post
This is why i hate Dell. There stuff was always prone to breaking down.
Well, to be fair...Dell is the leader as far as I know in the desktop market to businesses and such. Therefore, with more machines on the desks, they are likely going to have problems.

I've worked in businesses supporting thousands of Dell desktops and hundreds of Dell Laptops and in my opinion....they have been solid. Regardless of brands you are going to have problems...and it's how the company handles them which really matters to me...and Dell for my companies has handled it very well.
+1 Completely Agree!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Jul 2010   #32
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Luckystar View Post
This is why i hate Dell. There stuff was always prone to breaking down. This just gives more proof to not go near them with a 10 foot barge poll.

The one i do have (Did'nt buy it, it was given to me), dimension 8200 is rubbish, it sits in my wardrobe gathering dust and most probably going to end up in the skip or unless someone gives it a third life.

Oh, I do have a Dell lattitude D laptop, i upgraded the ram and HDD, now it wont boot into windows as it asks for me to set the bloody HDD up and no matter what option you choose, it still wont boot. That also sits under my bed, gathering dust.

Lucky
The Dell 8200 is rather old so by today’s standards it may be considered rubbish but in its day it was a solid machine.

I have upgraded many Latitude Laptops without issue when you know how (I did not know how at first but, with a bit of training it is fairly easy). The reason your laptop upgrade did not go well may be that you lack the knowledge to update it. Did you research the RAM, and buy the right type? I did you get the correctly hard drive? Did you update the BIOS? When replacing the drive you know you must be careful with the connectors? Laptops are NOT like desktops; where you have open standards and things are easy to update. Laptops can be tricky.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2010   #33
madtownidiot

 

Not all Dells are garbage. I've got an inspiron 1100 that was built in sept 03 laying around that has no problem running Windows 7 on 512MB ram.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Jul 2010   #34
toughbook

 
 

There might be alot of good Dell's out there, but it's just the mere fact that they sold SOME bad one's they knew about. That's the dishonest part that you do not see other manufactures doing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #35
madtownidiot

 

I agree in part. When it comes to getting something replaced Dell is close to the top of my list for lousy customer service, right up there with AT&T, Dodge, Apple, and the VA. A few good products doesn't compensate for generally dishonest business practices and outright fraud. However, the only difference between Dell and a lot of other companies out there is that Dell got caught in the act trying to cover up the sales of a defective line of products and the others haven't yet. Does anyone really believe Dell is the first (or last) company to do this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #36
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I have always wondered why one would buy a mass produced computer. Knowing that the very cheapest parts will be used to the penny. IMHO These types of companies concerns are shareholders first and customers second. If you can't build your own computer get with a reliable (in your community) computer builder. With consultation with such a business you can pick and choose the parts you need or will need. You can have one or more built as your needs might be. I have found the cost isn't much more. The point that Dell repaired most of the bad computers is not soothing. The big point is that they new or should of new that these computers where going to go bad and still make them that way and sold them. I don't own a computer business or sell computer parts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #37
madtownidiot

 

Why do people buy mass produced computers? Same reason they believe it when a popup from some website tells them their computer is massively infected, even though they got no warning from their antivirus... Because they don't know any better. It's not always cheaper at the start to build your own computer, but provided the chipset and component manufacturers aren't also doing the same thing on the product lines you happen to purchase that dell just got caught doing, you'll probably end up with something that outperforms anything you can buy at a big box store for the same money, with the added bonus of no trial or bloatware to slow it down and not as much chance of some catastrophic failure in the first few days, weeks or months.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #38
KazeNoKoe23

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

And here I thought this was a NEW thing.

No but seriously, Dell's an okay company, but knowingly selling defective computers is pretty ridiculous.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #39
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I have always wondered why one would buy a mass produced computer. Knowing that the very cheapest parts will be used to the penny. IMHO These types of companies concerns are shareholders first and customers second. If you can't build your own computer get with a reliable (in your community) computer builder. With consultation with such a business you can pick and choose the parts you need or will need. You can have one or more built as your needs might be. I have found the cost isn't much more. The point that Dell repaired most of the bad computers is not soothing. The big point is that they new or should of new that these computers where going to go bad and still make them that way and sold them. I don't own a computer business or sell computer parts.
Why does anyone buy a mass-produced car? How many people build their own cars?

A mass-produced refrigerator? How many people build their own 'fridges?

A mass-produced television? How many people build their own televisions?

We use these items everyday.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #40
geeve420

Windows 8, Ubuntu 12.04 64bit, Pear Linux Triple Boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
Why do people buy mass produced computers? Same reason they believe it when a popup from some website tells them their computer is massively infected, even though they got no warning from their antivirus... Because they don't know any better. It's not always cheaper at the start to build your own computer, but provided the chipset and component manufacturers aren't also doing the same thing on the product lines you happen to purchase that dell just got caught doing, you'll probably end up with something that outperforms anything you can buy at a big box store for the same money, with the added bonus of no trial or bloatware to slow it down and not as much chance of some catastrophic failure in the first few days, weeks or months.
That is a generalization I disagree with!! All my computers are mass produced, however I know enough not to click on pop ups, or believe a fake A/V. Some of us find it easier to just order and unistall the bloatware and go for it. I would build my own system if I had the time and patiance. I believe your comment was a little out of line for those of us who choose the convinience over the bragging right.

Like I said before I have owned Dell after Dell and not had one issue, They were solid and ran great! Dell is just the first to admit the fact they knowingly sold bad PC's. All the others have done it as well.

Geeve
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dell knowingly sold defective computers




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
what could be the defective component
i have my cpu for about 5 years and ine day after cleaning inside its component majorly by removing all of its connectors ram processor hdd to the motherboard and cleaning them after i cleaned them i placed them back (i know that all of them are properly connected to thier right places). then...
Hardware & Devices
Clean install of Windows on Dell computers
When I do a clean install of Windows on a Dell computer and want to install drivers, I go to the Dell site and search for drivers using the Service Tag. It will generally come up with 80 or 100 drivers that I need to wade through. There are commonly 4 or 5 wireless drivers, the same # of wired...
Drivers
defective GPU?
Recently, I bought a new XFX Radeon 6870 and haven't had any luck getting it to display anything in the monitor. I first tried sticking it in the same PCI-E slot of my old gpu and got nothing. I tried sticking it in a different PCI-E slot and still got nothing. Next I used my old GPU to check...
Graphic Cards
new with computers, need help with new dell laptop!!
I just purchased a new dell inspiron laptop with windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have no idea what that means but im trying to be specific. Being very new at this, Im not very good with computers but ive been researching and looking at some of these posts. All I really know how to do is search the...
General Discussion
Dell testing Google Chrome OS on some computers
Source A Guy
News
Defective Card?
I have a visiontek Radeon HD4870 512mb. Ive had it over a month and every since ive had it i have had "ati display drivers have stopped responding but recovered" messages but now im getting black screens when i play games. My monitor will lose signal and then a few seconds later my computer...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:36.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App