Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dell knowingly sold defective computers

06 Jul 2010   #51
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by toughbook View Post
You want basic transportation that will pretty much have no great resale down the road, a car that you have a 50/50 chance of it starting when you turn the key? Go purchase a GM, Ford or Dodge product. Or do you want a car that is dependable, great resale value when you go to trade up in 10 years, one that you are pretty darn sure it's going to start when you turn the key? Go by a Toyota or Lexus.

Again, you get what you pay for. There is a manufacture out there for every type of person. That's what makes this such a great Country. We have choices that WE can decide upon. When we hear about such stories like Dell, it makes a certain % of people remember when it comes to buying.

Yes I do work on cars for a living and know what I speak of.
Those Toyotas sure are working out just fine--between the brakes and faulty engines... ;-)

FOXNews.com - Toyota Recalling More Than 90,000 Vehicles in Japan


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Jul 2010   #52
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hoganth View Post
First reported by the New York Times, the computers were sold in a two-year period from 2003 to 2005, and were sold to educational institutions, large companies such as Wal-Mart and Wells Fargo, organizations such as the Mayo Clinic, and others.

Read more at: Unsealed court documents reveal Dell knew it sold faulty computers | Tech Policy & Law News - Betanews

from betanews.com
This was well known. Their slim Optiplex GX270 desktops had serious heat issues and motherboard capacitors went out all the time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #53
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Weren't the Optiplexes supposed to be better quality, better specs than the Dimensions? The Opti's were the business-oriented machines (not counting servers).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jul 2010   #54
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Weren't the Optiplexes supposed to be better quality, better specs than the Dimensions? The Opti's were the business-oriented machines (not counting servers).
Not sure but when I was in IT in the USAF during the years the GX270 was released I can say that they sure died quite a bit. It was always the same thing, the capacitors on the motherboard. Nearly every Dell rep that I called would completely understand the moment they got the service tag.

Usually they were always the same capacitors, the ones in a row between the I/O panel and CPU socket. Once in a while there would be bad ones near the RAM slots.


Attached Thumbnails
Dell knowingly sold defective computers-dellgx270-800.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #55
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Weren't the Optiplexes supposed to be better quality, better specs than the Dimensions? The Opti's were the business-oriented machines (not counting servers).
Not sure but when I was in IT in the USAF during the years the GX270 was released I can say that they sure died quite a bit. It was always the same thing, the capacitors on the motherboard. Nearly every Dell rep that I called would completely understand the moment they got the service tag.

Usually they were always the same capacitors, the ones in a row between the I/O panel and CPU socket. Once in a while there would be bad ones near the RAM slots.
Wow that is terrible. They look "rusted" with that brown goo on them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #56
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Wow that is terrible. They look "rusted" with that brown goo on them.
It was the heat that built up and caused the liquid capacitors to swell and rupture. That is why a lot of motherboard manufacturers are using solid capacitors now. They have a MUCH higher heat tolerance.

The slim Optiplex GX270 used a single exhaust blower type fan over the CPU. That wasn't so bad until you closed the case. The hot running hard drive and memory sat cramped within the case. There were no vents in the front to help promote airflow. It was a poor design on Dell's part.


Attached Images
Dell knowingly sold defective computers-69271832_2-pictures-dell-optiplex-gx27028-ghz-ht1mb-slim-computer.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #57
toughbook

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by toughbook View Post
You want basic transportation that will pretty much have no great resale down the road, a car that you have a 50/50 chance of it starting when you turn the key? Go purchase a GM, Ford or Dodge product. Or do you want a car that is dependable, great resale value when you go to trade up in 10 years, one that you are pretty darn sure it's going to start when you turn the key? Go by a Toyota or Lexus.

Again, you get what you pay for. There is a manufacture out there for every type of person. That's what makes this such a great Country. We have choices that WE can decide upon. When we hear about such stories like Dell, it makes a certain % of people remember when it comes to buying.

Yes I do work on cars for a living and know what I speak of.
Those Toyotas sure are working out just fine--between the brakes and faulty engines... ;-)

FOXNews.com - Toyota Recalling More Than 90,000 Vehicles in Japan
And yet they still lead the industry with the highest brand loyalty figures, The lowest DPM % as well. You must be a Dell Fan boy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #58
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by toughbook View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by toughbook View Post
You want basic transportation that will pretty much have no great resale down the road, a car that you have a 50/50 chance of it starting when you turn the key? Go purchase a GM, Ford or Dodge product. Or do you want a car that is dependable, great resale value when you go to trade up in 10 years, one that you are pretty darn sure it's going to start when you turn the key? Go by a Toyota or Lexus.

Again, you get what you pay for. There is a manufacture out there for every type of person. That's what makes this such a great Country. We have choices that WE can decide upon. When we hear about such stories like Dell, it makes a certain % of people remember when it comes to buying.

Yes I do work on cars for a living and know what I speak of.
Those Toyotas sure are working out just fine--between the brakes and faulty engines... ;-)

FOXNews.com - Toyota Recalling More Than 90,000 Vehicles in Japan
And yet they still lead the industry with the highest brand loyalty figures, The lowest DPM % as well. You must be a Dell Fan boy
Not at all. Notice the sarcasm in my post (including wink emoticon).

My point is that almost all products will have their faults--unintentional and intentional (like Dell, Toyota).

Not a fanboy. And you'll never hear me cheerlead for them. I have bought 3 Dells in the past (a desktop, 2 laptops) and was burned on one laptop (check my previous posts) when the screen went out after the 2 year mark.

I am more cautious than ever when looking at new PCs or when people ask my advice on what to buy. I do more research now than ever before on product reviews when it comes to PCs.

Another instance: I was burned by a Western Digital external HD that stopped working within a month of having it. I have since switched to Seagate at least for the time being. Now I am more careful and choosier when purchasing drives.

I'm not saying Toyotas are bad, GMs are bad, Fords are bad, or Dells are bad. You just have to be careful to the extent that you can be.

Just as Thomas Jefferson said about gov't: "Eternal vigilance is the price of Liberty."

So too is the price of consumer products.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #59
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by toughbook View Post
You guys sure no how to get off topic! Dell is not a computer manufacture, they simply assemble the parts that are made from outsourcing. They may have some engineering going on and such, but if you really think about it we all pretty much use 2 of the major Chip makers, etc. It's the companies that assemble these parts in such a manner that will not cause problems down the road is what I like. You don't put certian componenets next to each other, etc.

Dell cornered the market on the Business side in the early 90's. It was there business decision to go after that market. JIt could have just as well been HP.

Just remember one thing guys, it pretty much rings true 95% of the time. You get what you pay for.

You want basic transportation that will pretty much have no great resale down the road, a car that you have a 50/50 chance of it starting when you turn the key? Go purchase a GM, Ford or Dodge product. Or do you want a car that is dependable, great resale value when you go to trade up in 10 years, one that you are pretty darn sure it's going to start when you turn the key? Go by a Toyota or Lexus.

Again, you get what you pay for. There is a manufacture out there for every type of person. That's what makes this such a great Country. We have choices that WE can decide upon. When we hear about such stories like Dell, it makes a certain % of people remember when it comes to buying.

Yes I do work on cars for a living and know what I speak of.
Btw, I have meant to ask why you feel Toyotas and Lexus are the best. I have driven neither, but would just like to know for future reference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #60
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Weren't the Optiplexes supposed to be better quality, better specs than the Dimensions? The Opti's were the business-oriented machines (not counting servers).
Typically yes...the Optiplex's have better specs, usually cost more and are often more reliable. However, there are problems with any product here and there and the fact that it's an Optiplex doesn't lessen that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dell knowingly sold defective computers




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
what could be the defective component
i have my cpu for about 5 years and ine day after cleaning inside its component majorly by removing all of its connectors ram processor hdd to the motherboard and cleaning them after i cleaned them i placed them back (i know that all of them are properly connected to thier right places). then...
Hardware & Devices
Clean install of Windows on Dell computers
When I do a clean install of Windows on a Dell computer and want to install drivers, I go to the Dell site and search for drivers using the Service Tag. It will generally come up with 80 or 100 drivers that I need to wade through. There are commonly 4 or 5 wireless drivers, the same # of wired...
Drivers
defective GPU?
Recently, I bought a new XFX Radeon 6870 and haven't had any luck getting it to display anything in the monitor. I first tried sticking it in the same PCI-E slot of my old gpu and got nothing. I tried sticking it in a different PCI-E slot and still got nothing. Next I used my old GPU to check...
Graphic Cards
new with computers, need help with new dell laptop!!
I just purchased a new dell inspiron laptop with windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have no idea what that means but im trying to be specific. Being very new at this, Im not very good with computers but ive been researching and looking at some of these posts. All I really know how to do is search the...
General Discussion
Dell testing Google Chrome OS on some computers
Source A Guy
News
Defective Card?
I have a visiontek Radeon HD4870 512mb. Ive had it over a month and every since ive had it i have had "ati display drivers have stopped responding but recovered" messages but now im getting black screens when i play games. My monitor will lose signal and then a few seconds later my computer...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:52.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App