Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Nearly half of Windows 7 installations are 64-bit

09 Jul 2010   #11
vierasniper

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

i was under the impression that 64x was new and not alot of people had it. but i must says i am a fan. having plenty of RAM myself. i haven't really experienced any slow downs.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Jul 2010   #12
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I have been running only x64 since Windows Vista.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #13
Lebon14

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

I am part of the 54% having installed a 32-bits version. I am happy with it at the moment. No reason to upgrade to 64-bits with my current setup anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jul 2010   #14
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

I have been 64bit since Windows XP came out 64bit, mostly because I wanted to try it since I had used Servers in 64bit. Once I got used to it I really liked how my Window XP 64bit ran faster and had less issues. At the time viruses were non-existent and I loved that too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #15
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lebon14 View Post
I am part of the 54% having installed a 32-bits version. I am happy with it at the moment. No reason to upgrade to 64-bits with my current setup anyway.
Wise, based on your System Specs, 64-bit might not even let you install it, much less run well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #16
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lebon14 View Post
I am part of the 54% having installed a 32-bits version. I am happy with it at the moment. No reason to upgrade to 64-bits with my current setup anyway.
Wise, based on your System Specs, 64-bit might not even let you install it, much less run well.
Why not? He has a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB DDR2 and a GeForce 8500GT (DX10, 512MB video memory).

Those all meet or exceed Windows 7 x64 requirements.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #17
johnwillyums

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

I got a new rig (Q6600, 4GB RAM) when Vista came out and went to 64bit. When everybody was moaning about how terrible Vista was I had no problems at all. No stability problems and no compatibility problems. My 2 year old Canon printer was not an issue and I'm still using it now.
As soon as the W7 beta came along I got the 64bit version and that has been my main OS ever since.
I now use 6GB of DDR3 and it runs like a dream.

To address the topic. A Dell leaflet fell out of my newspaper today and I noticed that all their desktops and laptops came with 64bit as standard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #18
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lebon14 View Post
I am part of the 54% having installed a 32-bits version. I am happy with it at the moment. No reason to upgrade to 64-bits with my current setup anyway.
Wise, based on your System Specs, 64-bit might not even let you install it, much less run well.
Why not? He has a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB DDR2 and a GeForce 8500GT (DX10, 512MB video memory).

Those all meet or exceed Windows 7 x64 requirements.
OK, maybe it would install then. I've never loaded x64 on anything else than 4GB, so I was going on that (since I know that is the point at which 64-bit becomes even slightly useful). But 2GB doesn't allow you to take advantage of 64-bit capabilities, so there would be no point to upgrading.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #19
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
OK, maybe it would install then. I've never loaded x64 on anything else than 4GB, so I was going on that (since I know that is the point at which 64-bit becomes even slightly useful). But 2GB doesn't allow you to take advantage of 64-bit capabilities, so there would be no point to upgrading.
The minimum requirement according to Microsoft is 2GB RAM.

He will be able to take advantage of 64-bit capabilities. He just won't be able to benefit from the higher addressable memory. There's more to 64-bit than just that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #20
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
OK, maybe it would install then. I've never loaded x64 on anything else than 4GB, so I was going on that (since I know that is the point at which 64-bit becomes even slightly useful). But 2GB doesn't allow you to take advantage of 64-bit capabilities, so there would be no point to upgrading.
The minimum requirement according to Microsoft is 2GB RAM.

He will be able to take advantage of 64-bit capabilities. He just won't be able to benefit from the higher addressable memory. There's more to 64-bit than just that.
I know you gain hardware-backed DEP, and Kernel Patch Protection (or at least you did in Vista x64), but then you lose 16-bit app support, 32-bit driver support, and the ability to install unsigned drivers. That's why I've typically felt that 64-bit was only really necessary on systems with higher RAM.

Obviously I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time (just ask some of the other members ). But don't forget, Microsoft's minimum requirements can be misleading. They said Vista could run on 512MB of RAM, and I and others I knew could barely get it to move on even 1GB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Nearly half of Windows 7 installations are 64-bit




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Theme glitch: half aero, half classic
Hello, entire 7F community, I put this problem here because it relates not just to theme files, but is also about system files and/or advanced solutions. I know that this question (or at least its other variant) has been asked before, but I didn't manage to find the solution. The problem is:...
General Discussion
Theme being half-aero half-classic.... uhh what
It confuses me so much... ._. How do you reset it? I tried changing themes, that didn't really work... Can someone... please... help...
General Discussion
half half windows function not working
Today i booted up my computor and some updates were automatically done and then i had to restart. when i began working on my project again the function of assigning one pane to one side and the other half of the window. i am running a sony vaio and originally it had a thing at the top of the...
General Discussion
Windows 7 thinks there are two installations
I recently had a friend try to boot a DVD off my system and now am having problems with my MBR. The system keeps coming up asking me which installation of Windows 7 I want to run. If I choose the first one I get an error that says the installation doesn't exist (which it doesn't). I have...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 2 installations
I have installed a retail version of windows 7 and for some reason when i boot now I have an option to select windows utimate and windows ultimate recovered .Any one help with the best way to remove this please,Its my old beta version
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:06.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App