Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Why are 74% of business computers still running XP

13 Jul 2010   #11
hoganth

WinXP / Win 7 / Win 8.1 64bit Dual Boot
 
 

IMHO and experience its all about "The Money". Most small to medium size companies don't have the extra cash to replace XP at this point in time.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Jul 2010   #12
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Love Windows 7 View Post
We reported yesterday that Microsoft had extended downgrade rights for Windows XP from Windows 7, but the reason seems to stem from the fact that a reported 74% of work PCs are still running Windows XP.

This seems odd given that it was also recently reported that 50% of business either have or are ready to upgrade to Windows 7. So what’s the anomaly and what’s causing the problem?

More info here: Why are 74% of business computers still running XP? | Windows 7 News
Applications. There are a lot of businesses still using Windows XP because of application compatibility. It's what happens with poor programming.
Not true. Older software often doesn't work on newer systems because the newer systems have dropped support for older software/technologies.

To "chalk it up" to "poor programming" is asinine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #13
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Not true. Older software often doesn't work on newer systems because the newer systems have dropped support for older software/technologies.

To "chalk it up" to "poor programming" is asinine.
I speak from experience of working for companies that would not upgrade to Windows 7 because of JUST that. Call it asinine, but they were the ones stuck with the incompatible software.

Poor programming is for the in-house software that is developed. These people program the software to require local Administrators group membership of all things.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jul 2010   #14
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Not true. Older software often doesn't work on newer systems because the newer systems have dropped support for older software/technologies.

To "chalk it up" to "poor programming" is asinine.
I speak from experience of working for companies that would not upgrade to Windows 7 because of JUST that. Call it asinine, but they were the ones stuck with the incompatible software.

Poor programming is for the in-house software that is developed. These people program the software to require local Administrators group membership of all things.
You speak from limited experience. To base your blanket conclusion on "poor programming" is absurd.

Just because the in-house software you are familiar with was crap doesn't mean everyone's is.

That is like saying an ASP.NET 1.1 is not compatible with a hypothetical IIS 10.0 is due to "poor programming" when it is really due to change in technology.

Why do you imagine Windows 9.x apps don't run or run poorly on 7?

Hint: Microsoft has changed a lot of the code and design models in between.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #15
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hoganth View Post
IMHO and experience its all about "The Money". Most small to medium size companies don't have the extra cash to replace XP at this point in time.
Bingo and that goes for local and state governments, too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #16
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hoganth View Post
IMHO and experience its all about "The Money". Most small to medium size companies don't have the extra cash to replace XP at this point in time.
Bingo and that goes for local and state governments, too.
I think another component to that is need. Many systems run fine as they are.

Too many people think that there is only one reason, when it is a multitude. Some more important than others to different people.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #17
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

In the business world, need is equated to money. "Yes, we need to upgrade; but we can make do. We don't have the money to upgrade 25 computers and six of them would have to be replaced to run Win 7." Or variations of this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #18
PhreePhly

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Not true. Older software often doesn't work on newer systems because the newer systems have dropped support for older software/technologies.

To "chalk it up" to "poor programming" is asinine.
I speak from experience of working for companies that would not upgrade to Windows 7 because of JUST that. Call it asinine, but they were the ones stuck with the incompatible software.

Poor programming is for the in-house software that is developed. These people program the software to require local Administrators group membership of all things.
You speak from limited experience. To base your blanket conclusion on "poor programming" is absurd.

Just because the in-house software you are familiar with was crap doesn't mean everyone's is.

That is like saying an ASP.NET 1.1 is not compatible with a hypothetical IIS 10.0 is due to "poor programming" when it is really due to change in technology.

Why do you imagine Windows 9.x apps don't run or run poorly on 7?

Hint: Microsoft has changed a lot of the code and design models in between.
The reason many Win9X programs don't run on Win7 x64 is simply that they contain 16-bit code and/or made use of assembler code for perfomance. However, I have a few Win 3.1 programs I wrote that run on Win 7 x32 just fine (I can use Win7 x64, but need XP Mode). By following standard coding practices, they work. They are simple programs written in VB 3, but the point is, I followed the proper API's available at the time, and MS is quite adept at making things pretty backwards compatible. JonM33 is correct in that programs written properly to the API have a very good chance of being compatible.

However, going outside the standard API, or using nifty programming tricks to eek out that last Mhz will often break that backwards compatiblity. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as better performance is good, but it does cause heartache and teeth-nashing later.

PhreePhly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #19
s3v3n us3r

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

We are still an XP Pro company, with a couple thousand employees. I can tell you, for our company, the main reason is support of lagacy information systems. We use some very antiquated software, I think our gas measurement techs still run some DOS-based stuff actually.

It is not a matter of money for most large companies, truly.

Believe it or not, our IT group is finally rolling out IE8 later this month.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #20
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PhreePhly View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post

I speak from experience of working for companies that would not upgrade to Windows 7 because of JUST that. Call it asinine, but they were the ones stuck with the incompatible software.

Poor programming is for the in-house software that is developed. These people program the software to require local Administrators group membership of all things.
You speak from limited experience. To base your blanket conclusion on "poor programming" is absurd.

Just because the in-house software you are familiar with was crap doesn't mean everyone's is.

That is like saying an ASP.NET 1.1 is not compatible with a hypothetical IIS 10.0 is due to "poor programming" when it is really due to change in technology.

Why do you imagine Windows 9.x apps don't run or run poorly on 7?

Hint: Microsoft has changed a lot of the code and design models in between.
The reason many Win9X programs don't run on Win7 x64 is simply that they contain 16-bit code and/or made use of assembler code for perfomance. However, I have a few Win 3.1 programs I wrote that run on Win 7 x32 just fine (I can use Win7 x64, but need XP Mode). By following standard coding practices, they work. They are simple programs written in VB 3, but the point is, I followed the proper API's available at the time, and MS is quite adept at making things pretty backwards compatible. JonM33 is correct in that programs written properly to the API have a very good chance of being compatible.

However, going outside the standard API, or using nifty programming tricks to eek out that last Mhz will often break that backwards compatiblity. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as better performance is good, but it does cause heartache and teeth-nashing later.

PhreePhly
Actually you confirmed my argument.

At the same time, when technology changes some stuff simply doesn't work, despite best practices.

Coding in best practices gets you the longest shelflife of software. BUT when Windows 20 comes around and they say "hey, no support for Windows 7 API" then it must be redone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Why are 74% of business computers still running XP




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Best way to upgrade XP to 7 on mulitple computers in a business?
I am part of the IT department in the business i work for. We just closed a deal with microsoft and (to my best knowledge) will be needing to upgrade all computers to windows 7 professional(or ultimate, to make it easier for the IS dept). *bear with me, this is my first ever forum post I just...
Installation & Setup
new Business need help
I have 1 pc running windows 7 and 2 with xp.. I have hugesnet and they are wirless..I can surf the net But I need to be able to share files between the computers.Can someone give me a step by step of what I need for this and how to do it..please...:)
Network & Sharing
Copy non-business contact info to new non-business contact?
Hello. For all you Outlook gurus out there: is there a way to copy information from a non-business contact to a new contact? For example, I create an personal individual (i.e. - non-business) contact with home address, home phone, etc. I save that contact. A week later I want to add a contact...
Microsoft Office
Problems of running different windows versions on company computers?
A friend recently asked me about this however I was unable to give a decent answer. Half the company uses XP laptops and the other half uses Vista laptops, do you think that this could cause serious problems? I said it could do but then couldn't think of any actual problems apart from the fact...
General Discussion
Is a computers processor important for running multiple games at once?
Hey Seven Forums. I'm not that great with computers so I thought I would ask you guys for help. I am currently thinking about purchasing this computer: Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 556D3 Phenom II X2 555(3.2GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit The...
General Discussion
Sync Outlook w/ comps that ARE running Business / Unltd
Been searching for this for hours, and the only posts I can locate are people trying to do this with Home editions being told they cannot because it isn't supported in Home Premium... Well I have two computers that -should- be able to do synchronize. They are both running Business or Ultimate...
Microsoft Office


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App