Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Why are 74% of business computers still running XP

14 Jul 2010   #31
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709
 
 

Not being a computer expert, programmer or any kind of I.T. but some knowledge of business. XP-PRO SP3 is great and used by most business and the programs work well with XP-PRO. There people are train with this system and programs. That being said. XP looks like it will be around for a while longer. From the business end investigating into Windows 7, which 7 should be gotten, training, other programs that will be needed, upgrading equipment. Yes there is a cost to doing this. The time will come that a upgrade will have to be done. If a business starting upgrading there equipment now the cost will be spread out over a period of time. Having there I.T. people checking on new programs that will be needed and the cost and of course the training of other personal. This will help spreading the cost over a period of time. XP is on it's way out and Windows 7 is on it's way in, that's just a fact weather one likes it or not. Being ready for the day when windows 7 is a must only makes good business sense to me.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Jul 2010   #32
ITChick

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

In my organization we are actually migrating everyone this summer to Windows 7 Pro with Office 2007. In fact I just got back from a trip to one of our campuses where I switched all the office staff. Lots more trips planned this summer so I will be a very busy lady Very exciting times! I love my job!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2010   #33
DrWho

Windows XP-Pro-SP3, Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
Even when running Win-7, I still rely heavily on DOS for simple everyday jobs.
Like my own cleanup.bat program that runs from my Startup folder on ever boot, to clean out all the temp files and other assorted junk from the day before.
That prevents Garbage Overflow. I install that little batch file for every one of my customers, to help keep their PC's clean and running more efficiently. It's like getting FREE Maid Service for your PC.
So if we have to pin a long-life medal on some OS, it most certainly has to be MSDOS.
Do you think the "Disk Cleanup" from a drive properties dialog is as good as your prog?

I've always wondered about how good that thing is.
As presented, the stock Windows Disk Cleanup program is 'So-So'.
Yes, I do use it, but to make it work much better, go for the "Extended Disk Cleanup" version of the program. Use this shortcut, for the extended version.
%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35

Just copy and paste that line into a NEW Desktop Shortcut.
Run it weekly as part of a regular HD maintenance routine.
Then do a defrag.
* The first time you run it, you will have to check all the things that you want the program to delete. I check everything but the "Setup Log" files. You will need those if you ever want to DE-Install a program.

Obviously, it can only address areas that are present in every computer.
My Cleanup.bat program addresses areas not addressed by Disk Cleanup and that are peculiar to my own PC. Like the AVG Virus Vault or my Firefox cache folder. (Temporary Internet Files, generated by Firefox)

AVG also creates tons of temp files..... I add that folder to my cleanup program as well. The actual name for that folder can be different for each PC.
When I've shared my Cleanup.bat program with people over the internet, I've always encouraged them to open it in Wordpad and edit it to include the specific junk file folders on their own PC or to delete any line that would delete something that they want to keep.

It's difficult to ever use just one program to really Clean Out your HD, because every PC is just a little bit different, especially after the user starts installing programs that create their own junk files.

I hope that has properly answered your question.

Good Luck,
the Doctor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jul 2010   #34
DrWho

Windows XP-Pro-SP3, Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
In my organization we are actually migrating everyone this summer to Windows 7 Pro with Office 2007. In fact I just got back from a trip to one of our campuses where I switched all the office staff. Lots more trips planned this summer so I will be a very busy lady Very exciting times! I love my job!
I hope your experience with Office 2007 is better than mine. It's a monster and so big that I didn't even want it on my "C" drive, so I installed it on my storage partition, my "D" drive.

I was not happy with it at all, so I uninstalled it, using the windows UN-Installer.
Then, just for grins and giggles, I ran a registry cleaner + NTREGOpt on my registry.
The size of the registry was reduced by 30 megabytes. WOW! What Bloat!

I went back to Office 2003 which runs just great and does everything I need and with far less bloat.

I'll bet you do love your job. I had a similar job years ago as IT Specialist for the County. I also did all their computer and printer repairs. It can be very rewarding.

Good Luck,
The Doctor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2010   #35
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
From the business end investigating into Windows 7, which 7 should be gotten, training, other programs that will be needed, upgrading equipment. Yes there is a cost to doing this. The time will come that a upgrade will have to be done. If a business starting upgrading there equipment now the cost will be spread out over a period of time.
Not sure if you have checked the minimum requirements for Windows 7: 1GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 15GB hard drive space. Most companies (from my experience) probably use a tech refresh maybe every 3-5 years. The reasons are due to warranties expiring. Any computer that has came out in the last 3-5 years will easily meet the minimum requirements for Windows 7.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Having there I.T. people checking on new programs that will be needed and the cost and of course the training of other personal. This will help spreading the cost over a period of time. XP is on it's way out and Windows 7 is on it's way in, that's just a fact weather one likes it or not. Being ready for the day when windows 7 is a must only makes good business sense to me.
Developers have had opportunity to do this since the Beta for Windows 7 came out on MSDN. That was Jan 2009.

Windows 7 is actually very intuitive. Anyone that has been using Windows for the past 10 years can easily move to Windows 7. The thing that really requires training would have been Office 2007, which was a drastic layout and feature change from Office 2003. But there are easy online training guides from Microsoft.

Training - Microsoft Office
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2010   #36
Crunchy Doodle

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I can certainly understand how many people who hang out here have trouble understanding why a modern successful corporation, such as my employer, continues to use XP Pro and not upgrade to Windows 7 Pro. I'd estimate that 99% of the machines used here are W7 compatible. As someone pointed out, most of the systems we have are leased and are replaced every few years. The most lowly desktop system is a fairly modern Dell box of the most recent, or just previous models. That's not the problem. In simple terms, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have not seen a single application or software tool we use that needs Windows 7. XP works, why change?

At home, it's all Windows 7, even on the two old laptops my grandkids use when they visit.

Bye.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2010   #37
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Here's a good reason not to run Windows XP: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-042 - Critical: Vulnerability in Help and Support Center Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2229593)

Note how Windows 7 is not affected? Now these IT admins and support are going to need to push these updates through WSUS and ensure that they report successfully in SCCM. That's going to take additional time and money.

If they had migrated their systems to Windows 7? It wouldn't even be a worry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2010   #38
bjrichus

 

Why still XP in so many corporates?

Cost yes, but it's not the only (or even the main) reason. For us much more important is a lack of third party software vendor support (yes, really).

We run several programs (for example, Cypress, Image Now) where support for "7" is only recent and still buggy or just not there yet!

Good example; We have a vendor that has only this week pulled a version of the main-line package they sell from general release due to it's high bug count (sorry "non-functioning Windows 7 compatibility" according to our support contact), and while we like the honesty from them (a lesson to yet be learned by several companies like Apple and Oracle), it means the pressure is on to find software that actually does work with "7" at the end of the current maintenance contract.

This also means we will have to be prepared to re-engineer code written by a team of about 20 people and all sorts of processes and procedures to handle the change in vendor.

Then we have to go through a procurement process, we have about 80 servers and around 7,000 client PC's (not all clients will be running Windows) ...

Oh yes, this is not about running "7" because it's new, or it's "better" (we think it is), or because we like it (we do), in our environment, "7" is not the only thing in town and the entire set up has to work with everything else.

If just one element doesn't the entire set up is screwed. Until we get another year of "7" out of the way (meaning ALL of our vendors are fully on-board with it), we will stay a mix of XP (80%) and "7" (20%) on the Windows desktop.

<sigh>...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2010   #39
PhreePhly

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bjrichus View Post
Why still XP in so many corporates?

Cost yes, but it's not the only (or even the main) reason. For us much more important is a lack of third party software vendor support (yes, really).

We run several programs (for example, Cypress, Image Now) where support for "7" is only recent and still buggy or just not there yet!

Good example; We have a vendor that has only this week pulled a version of the main-line package they sell from general release due to it's high bug count (sorry "non-functioning Windows 7 compatibility" according to our support contact), and while we like the honesty from them (a lesson to yet be learned by several companies like Apple and Oracle), it means the pressure is on to find software that actually does work with "7" at the end of the current maintenance contract.

This also means we will have to be prepared to re-engineer code written by a team of about 20 people and all sorts of processes and procedures to handle the change in vendor.

Then we have to go through a procurement process, we have about 80 servers and around 7,000 client PC's (not all clients will be running Windows) ...

Oh yes, this is not about running "7" because it's new, or it's "better" (we think it is), or because we like it (we do), in our environment, "7" is not the only thing in town and the entire set up has to work with everything else.

If just one element doesn't the entire set up is screwed. Until we get another year of "7" out of the way (meaning ALL of our vendors are fully on-board with it), we will stay a mix of XP (80%) and "7" (20%) on the Windows desktop.

<sigh>...
Question, have you found programs that work in Win7 x32 but not Win7 x64? This is something we have encountered, more often than not. many apps seem to be written to use libraries that don't handle the CPU entering into Long Mode when using a 64-bit OS. This leads to confusion to install Win7 x32 or x64, and now we need to support multiple setups. My company is planning on making the move to Win 7 this year, and I suspect it will be all 32-bit, just to avoid these issues. We will have a few workstations go 64-bit so that we can expose more RAM for GIS, CADD and Modelling software.

PhreePhly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2010   #40
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Here's a good reason not to run Windows XP: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-042 - Critical: Vulnerability in Help and Support Center Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2229593)

Note how Windows 7 is not affected? Now these IT admins and support are going to need to push these updates through WSUS and ensure that they report successfully in SCCM. That's going to take additional time and money.

If they had migrated their systems to Windows 7? It wouldn't even be a worry.
That could be said about any arbitrary Windows version in the future. "Windows X has vulnerability Y and must need to be upgraded instead of patched."

Software is inherently flawed. There is no and will be no perfect software without bugs. Even when we get to quantum computing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Why are 74% of business computers still running XP




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Best way to upgrade XP to 7 on mulitple computers in a business?
I am part of the IT department in the business i work for. We just closed a deal with microsoft and (to my best knowledge) will be needing to upgrade all computers to windows 7 professional(or ultimate, to make it easier for the IS dept). *bear with me, this is my first ever forum post I just...
Installation & Setup
new Business need help
I have 1 pc running windows 7 and 2 with xp.. I have hugesnet and they are wirless..I can surf the net But I need to be able to share files between the computers.Can someone give me a step by step of what I need for this and how to do it..please...:)
Network & Sharing
Copy non-business contact info to new non-business contact?
Hello. For all you Outlook gurus out there: is there a way to copy information from a non-business contact to a new contact? For example, I create an personal individual (i.e. - non-business) contact with home address, home phone, etc. I save that contact. A week later I want to add a contact...
Microsoft Office
Problems of running different windows versions on company computers?
A friend recently asked me about this however I was unable to give a decent answer. Half the company uses XP laptops and the other half uses Vista laptops, do you think that this could cause serious problems? I said it could do but then couldn't think of any actual problems apart from the fact...
General Discussion
Is a computers processor important for running multiple games at once?
Hey Seven Forums. I'm not that great with computers so I thought I would ask you guys for help. I am currently thinking about purchasing this computer: Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 556D3 Phenom II X2 555&#40;3.2GHz&#41; 4GB DDR3 1TB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit The...
General Discussion
Sync Outlook w/ comps that ARE running Business / Unltd
Been searching for this for hours, and the only posts I can locate are people trying to do this with Home editions being told they cannot because it isn't supported in Home Premium... Well I have two computers that -should- be able to do synchronize. They are both running Business or Ultimate...
Microsoft Office


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App