Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft extends XP Downgrade rights until 2020

13 Jul 2010   #21
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

I agree with you but lots of people around the world are stuck with yesterday's technology because they have no other options. Some are stuck with it by choice because what they have suits their needs.

Keep in mind that most of us here are enthusiasts and hardly representative of the average home computer user. My dad can barely open and read his email. He has no idea how to send an attachment. For him a Win 98 computer and dialup would be just fine.

Up until five years ago, where I use to live, my only options were dialup or satellite and I could not justify satellite. ADSL was not available at any speed. And that was in Florida USA. No cable TV either.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Jul 2010   #22
blackroseMD1

Windows 10 Tech Preview 9926 x64
 
 

Ed Bott says it's all BS...

Quote:
Yesterday, in a post about Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, Microsoft announced they were extending downgrade rights for Windows XP. I saw the announcement and didn’t think much of it. But then I saw that my colleague Mary Jo Foley had picked up on the story last night (Windows XP gets yet another reprieve from Microsoft). She referred to something she had read in ComputerWorld, and I said, “Really? XP is going to still be around in 2020? How could I have missed this?” So I took a second look at the Windows Team blog post, and a closer look at the licensing rules that all these dates are based on, and then I checked in with a Microsoft spokesperson to confirm my calculations.

Here’s the short version: ComputerWorld missed a few important details in its calculations and thus reached the wrong conclusion. Yes, Microsoft is extending downgrade rights for Windows XP. No, you will not be able to buy a PC with Windows XP downgrade rights in 2020. In fact, by my calculations XP will be officially and completely out of all sales channels in early 2015.
Full story at link


XP in 2020? Not even close. Read the fine print
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #23
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wii Master 64 View Post
By 2020, XP will be 19 years old!!! That would be even worse than still using Windows 95 today! Just end XP in 2014....
Yeah, it would be like downgrading to Windows 3.1.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Jul 2010   #24
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

I find this subject very confusing, because anyone can run any version of Windows, if they are willing to do so without support updates, so how is it actually extended, unless it includes supports updates also?

Along the same lines, I have been wondering if XP x64 will continue to get updates, because their previous announcement said that this support would terminate as of this month, unless SP3 was installed, and x64 only goes up to SP2.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #25
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
I find this subject very confusing, because anyone can run any version of Windows, if they are willing to do so without support updates, so how is it actually extended, unless it includes supports updates also?

Along the same lines, I have been wondering if XP x64 will continue to get updates, because their previous announcement said that this support would terminate as of this month, unless SP3 was installed, and x64 only goes up to SP2.
This subject is very confusing, The problem is often that the commercial "needs" for depreciation and the like means that the sales time-line will be different from the technical time-line.

As Ed Bott's blog states the announcement appears to be something that the legal team require rather than something that will actually effect the real world availability.

Some enterprise customers may well be using XP long after 2014 but they will of course be supporting this themselves, that is their choice
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #26
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
I find this subject very confusing, because anyone can run any version of Windows, if they are willing to do so without support updates, so how is it actually extended, unless it includes supports updates also?

Along the same lines, I have been wondering if XP x64 will continue to get updates, because their previous announcement said that this support would terminate as of this month, unless SP3 was installed, and x64 only goes up to SP2.
XP x64 is getting extended support. Even though critical updates for XP SP2 x86 have ceased, x64 will continue to receive critical updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #27
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

If that article from Ed Bott is correct, it makes much more sense. I mean, c'mon, the original interpretation of the announcement makes you feel like someone's going to shout "April Fools!"...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #28
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709
 
 

There will be many things that happen in the world but M/S not wanting people and or business updating to Windows 7 is not one of them. M/S wants every body to upgrade to Windows 7 and IMHO will stop supporting XP which is a operating system they are no longer receiving money for as soon as they can get away with it. Microsoft is in the business of selling new operating system and programs. That's what I call 2 and 2 add up to 4.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #29
blackroseMD1

Windows 10 Tech Preview 9926 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
If that article from Ed Bott is correct, it makes much more sense. I mean, c'mon, the original interpretation of the announcement makes you feel like someone's going to shout "April Fools!"...
That's what I thought the first post would say when I saw this thread title. No way in hell MS would extend XP that far. Everyone that I know that was still on XP has either upgraded to 7 on their own, or I've talked them into upgrading.

There is just no sense in using a 9 year old OS when you have better, more stable options like Win7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2010   #30
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blackroseMD1 View Post
Ed Bott says it's all BS...

Quote:
Yesterday, in a post about Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, Microsoft announced they were extending downgrade rights for Windows XP. I saw the announcement and didn’t think much of it. But then I saw that my colleague Mary Jo Foley had picked up on the story last night (Windows XP gets yet another reprieve from Microsoft). She referred to something she had read in ComputerWorld, and I said, “Really? XP is going to still be around in 2020? How could I have missed this?” So I took a second look at the Windows Team blog post, and a closer look at the licensing rules that all these dates are based on, and then I checked in with a Microsoft spokesperson to confirm my calculations.

Here’s the short version: ComputerWorld missed a few important details in its calculations and thus reached the wrong conclusion. Yes, Microsoft is extending downgrade rights for Windows XP. No, you will not be able to buy a PC with Windows XP downgrade rights in 2020. In fact, by my calculations XP will be officially and completely out of all sales channels in early 2015.
Full story at link


XP in 2020? Not even close. Read the fine print
Yeah, a 19 year old OS sounds a bit odd to me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft extends XP Downgrade rights until 2020




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Downgrade rights not being respected by MS?
I'm trying to downgrade a laptop that originally came with Windows 8.1 Pro OEM to Windows 7 Pro. I called in to MS, gave them the OEM key, they confirmed it was legit but told me I had to buy a new Win7 key. I told them this was unacceptable as the laptop has downgrade rights, they "transferred" me...
Installation & Setup
Microsoft Extends Downgrade to XP
More... At least support for SP3 continues until 2014, since SP2 support ends tomorrow.
News
Windows 7 downgrade rights to Winxp question
We got Windows 7 with downgrade rights to Winxp. Dell installed Winxp on it. Is it possible to use the Windows 7 that came with the computer to dual boot between Winxp and Windows 7?
General Discussion
Microsoft Extends Windows XP until the end of May 2009
I'm not a betting man, but if Vista is as much on the nose as people say and Windows 7 is the real successor to XP as people say, is there some significance in the date here? "The software giant Microsoft announced over the weekend that it would allow computer manufacturers to receive copies...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App