Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: is overclocking for me

14 Aug 2010   #1
jhd17

windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
is overclocking for me

i know that there are a lot of the threads on this matter but i wanted to know more about overclocking. For starters i use a laptop, my guess is that it dosn't have sufficent cooling however i do have a cooling stand. i run a single core 2.1 ghz amd sempron and can run games such as oblivion to a reasonable high graphic level, but i was just wondering if my processor can be beefed a little bit. Also can graphic cards etc be overclocked, and does tit seriously affect the life of the machine over a period time. Probably a stupid question, but i just needed to know!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Aug 2010   #2
The Howling Wolves

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

https://www.sevenforums.com/overclock...ing-guide.html

This tutorial will give you the information you need on overclocking.
IMO and what I seen you better know what you are doing and whether your system can handle it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2010   #3
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jhd17 View Post
i know that there are a lot of the threads on this matter but i wanted to know more about overclocking. For starters i use a laptop, my guess is that it dosn't have sufficent cooling however i do have a cooling stand. i run a single core 2.1 ghz amd sempron and can run games such as oblivion to a reasonable high graphic level, but i was just wondering if my processor can be beefed a little bit. Also can graphic cards etc be overclocked, and does tit seriously affect the life of the machine over a period time. Probably a stupid question, but i just needed to know!
Your machine's a laptop?

DO NOT overclock a laptop! You'll kill it fast.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Aug 2010   #4
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jhd17 View Post
i know that there are a lot of the threads on this matter but i wanted to know more about overclocking. For starters i use a laptop, my guess is that it dosn't have sufficent cooling however i do have a cooling stand. i run a single core 2.1 ghz amd sempron and can run games such as oblivion to a reasonable high graphic level, but i was just wondering if my processor can be beefed a little bit. Also can graphic cards etc be overclocked, and does tit seriously affect the life of the machine over a period time. Probably a stupid question, but i just needed to know!
Your machine's a laptop?

DO NOT overclock a laptop! You'll kill it fast.
+Like a million.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2010   #5
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

[QUOTE=Mellon Head;899285]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jhd17 View Post

DO NOT overclock a laptop! You'll kill it fast.

Agreed.

There are still other factors as well.
Locked bios for one ..

They are locked for a reason.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2010   #6
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Simple answer, as stated, no, overclocking isn't for you, with that laptop. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2010   #7
jhd17

windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

ok thanks everyone, after looking a bit deeper i worked out all the changes you have to do to cooling and voltage etc, stuff not easily achieved on a laptop + i don't won't to lose the laptop (although brilliant its all i have) and gets osme games etc running ok. Overclocking isn't a case of just changing something and increasing the processor, thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #8
Neverhavemoney

Windows 7 Ultimate Professional x64
 
 

Hey everyone. I have a Cleveo custom built from Cyberpower. All my system specs are up to date. Why would it not be a good idea to overclock a laptop? Mine is definatly a desktop replacement so would that set it apart in this conversation from an ordinary laptop or should I still not overclock?

Thanks,
Ben
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #9
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Neverhavemoney View Post
Hey everyone. I have a Cleveo custom built from Cyberpower. All my system specs are up to date. Why would it not be a good idea to overclock a laptop? Mine is definatly a desktop replacement so would that set it apart in this conversation from an ordinary laptop or should I still not overclock?

Thanks,
Ben
Laptops have heat issues. It being a desktop replacement means it is already more powerful. Adding an OC to that will just start to melt things.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #10
Neverhavemoney

Windows 7 Ultimate Professional x64
 
 

Thanks for the info Bob.
I would love to see this beast overclocked, but it just isnt worth it. It is extremely powerful already.

Ben
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 is overclocking for me




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Overclocking GPU
Hey Need some help overclocking my card using Afterburner,so after i saw this Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming review - Overclocking The Graphics Card i gave it a try to change the numbers on the sliders but the thing is they will not save for example when i set the Core clock to 150+ as...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Overclocking CPU
I have a really old CPU. (Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz) :P I just want to play around with my pc, and "tune" it a little :D Have a Asus P5N-D MoBo, and i have entered the BIOS several times, and i have learned it very well, and i know what i am doing. I have a option to overclock the system by : 5, 10,...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
overclocking and xmp ram help
Hi, i have tried a few times to overclock to about 3.4/3.6 but my system seems to be unstable. i did not try to mess with too many settings as i am trying to keep it relatively simple however i think the stumbling block may well be my ram as it is set to xmp in the bios. I have read a few threads...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Overclocking GPU
This is just a general question, If the bottleneck on your system is not your graphics card, lets say your ram or cpu is. ( i know this pry varies on the game or app running) Is it still gonna benifit you to overclock the gpu? (lets say on a game that is very gpu intensive) The reason...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
How To: Overclocking Your AMD Processor : Introduction: The Basics Of Overclocking
http://media.bestofmicro.com/CPU-AMD-Overclocking,9-J-180487-1.jpg http://media.bestofmicro.com/CPU-AMD-Overclocking,9-K-180488-1.jpg Tom’s Hardware readers know all about overclocking, of course. In fact, many processor and graphics card reviews would be deemed incomplete without coverage of...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:50.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App