Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: A way to overclock an Intel Cpu without the risk.

15 Sep 2010   #21
jorpe

7600x64 ultimate, not SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
To get off topic for a minute while staying on subject

Though I've played with Gigabyte's Easy Tune software I don't really trust it... It seems to over-volt settings. I'd rather do everything through the BIOS, then just use Easy Tune to read the settings.

Even though it'll do an OC on a 920/930 to 3.5gig no problem, I've found that I get better results doing it manually with regards keeping temps under control (voltage settings).

It's good for a "quick" OC, but most advise against it, especially for serious overclocking - GIGABYTE.

It is a handy program for reading various BIOS and voltage settings on Gigabyte's motherboards, though I currently don't have it installed.
I did notice the vcore getting to around 1.45v with this software. I previously did 4.1ghz on air with my 920 chip and got the memory to 2000mhz using bios, but I like the on-the-fly settings change of the OC software. To get to that OC I used the guide on the intel processor forum on overclock.net.

I know a lot of people OC for benchmarks and not much else. Encoding with my signature rig setup at 3.53ghz used 40% less CPU while doing a lot more work than using the stock setup.


I've used the megahalems heatsink for all my OC work.

Thanks for pointing me towards this guide: http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/...-and-gulftown/ It was in the stickys on the tweaktown forum. It definitely taught me some stuff.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Sep 2010   #22
jorpe

7600x64 ultimate, not SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jorpe View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
To get off topic for a minute while staying on subject

Though I've played with Gigabyte's Easy Tune software I don't really trust it... It seems to over-volt settings. I'd rather do everything through the BIOS, then just use Easy Tune to read the settings.

Even though it'll do an OC on a 920/930 to 3.5gig no problem, I've found that I get better results doing it manually with regards keeping temps under control (voltage settings).

It's good for a "quick" OC, but most advise against it, especially for serious overclocking - GIGABYTE.

It is a handy program for reading various BIOS and voltage settings on Gigabyte's motherboards, though I currently don't have it installed.
I did notice the vcore getting to around 1.45v with this software. I previously did 4.1ghz on air with my 920 chip and got the memory to 2000mhz using bios, but I like the on-the-fly settings change of the OC software. To get to that OC I used the guide on the intel processor forum on overclock.net.

I know a lot of people OC for benchmarks and not much else. Encoding with my signature rig setup at 3.53ghz used 40% less CPU while doing a lot more work than using the stock setup.


I've used the megahalems heatsink for all my OC work.

Thanks for pointing me towards this guide: 3 Step Overclocking Guide – Bloomfield and Gulftown | TechREACTION It was in the stickys on the tweaktown forum. It definitely taught me some stuff.

I'm going to go through that fourm and try to stabilize my sig rig with a 3.5ghz OC with memory at 1600+ and decent timings...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2010   #23
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hey jorpe, yeah I know this is a week late, but did you find the settings you were looking for?

Let me know as I too have a UD5 and my i7-930 is OC to 3.5 stable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Sep 2010   #24
madtownidiot

 

I usually OC to the point where it either starts to get too hot or becomes unstable, then back off by about 15%, put it up for sale, and start the next build. I don't really care about benchmarks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2010   #25
jorpe

7600x64 ultimate, not SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Hey jorpe, yeah I know this is a week late, but did you find the settings you were looking for?

Let me know as I too have a UD5 and my i7-930 is OC to 3.5 stable.
actually haven't tried to do anything about it yet, what settings did you use?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2010   #26
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jorpe View Post
actually haven't tried to do anything about it yet, what settings did you use?
I'm OC to 3.52 (21 x 160 = 3.360, Turbo boost enabled = 22 x 160 = 3.520)

CPU Clock Ratio = x21
Turbo Boost = Enabled

DRAM Timings = 8-8-8-20-1

QPI/Vtt = 1.215
CPU Vcore = 1.18750
CPU PLL = 1.800
DRAM Voltage = 1.640



Even though CPU-Z says 1.120v for Core Voltage, the BIOS setting is 1.18750.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2010   #27
Snakeyeskm

Win 7 64 bit professional
 
 

At the risk of being obvious and too simplistic: –
Mild overclocks with stock cooling rarely have appreciable benefits. Medium or higher overclocks must focus on cooling. Increasing CPU voltage amongst others (CPU Vtt, DRAM etc.) without focusing on improved cooling of over-volted components is highly risky. Up to a point, it is the increased temperature due to higher volts that is dangerous, not the voltage.
Also, it is very important to test any overclocked system thoroughly – 30 – 50 runs of LinX and/or Prime – for stability.
Last but not least, in the latest Intel CPUs, multiplier versus Blk choices and combinations can have considerable impact on a non-CPU components and their performance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 A way to overclock an Intel Cpu without the risk.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I overclock intel E6500 ? :D
hey please someone can help me to overclock my cpu E6500 ? if it's help to my gaming experience ? thanks you all :)
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Can I Overclock an Intel i3 @ 2.27 Ghz, and if so, how?
I would like to be able to get decent performance out of Minecraft and TF2 (currently averaging 20 FPS on both), but I am not sure how to overclock my CPU to say, 2.5 - 2.6 Ghz. Considering the CPU I have, should I overclock, or is this a horrible idea? If I can safley OC, how do I go about doing...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Can i overclock a intel quad q9300
im running a 2.5ghz intel quad core q9300 with a gigabyte g41m-combo mobo, Is there anything i can do to over clock it. Not after loads of gain as i want to keep it as stable as poss but some gain will be great if i can. Thank you
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
How could i overclock my intel i3 550?
I tried to do it in the bios but their are no power options related to overclocking at all, are there any good alternatives that won't fry my pc and turn it into a oven? :)
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
OVERCLOCK Intel E2140
Hi i working on a system with windows 7 pro 86x but am unable to play any games/even the aero effect sucks......due to performance issue..... I would like to learn bout overclocking but as i searched on Google...It gives a disclaimer "DANGER"...Am ready to take the risk but the articles on the web...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Intel q6600 SERIOUSLY NEED HELP with overclock!
I have q6600 quad and i have a stock cooler,but i dont know a thing about OC all i know about is FSB and multiplyers(if am not wrong)so i someone can help me with it(if you have time)because i am going to buy a HD5850 so it needs all of my cpu and more...so if someone can post pictures of their...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App