Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New case thoughts and recommendations.

09 Sep 2010   #21
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
As the original poster said, he isn't into the look of the HAF X. It's not for everybody. I'm not into the "industrial" look as I call it and I really dislike lights and windows and all that fancy stuff.
Just as youíre not into the "industrial" look remember that not everyone is into the conservative look either

As to the "industrial" look of the HAF X, I agree, it's not for everyone, but functionally, the case performs very well, especially if you're air cooling your components.

If you are not into the clear windows thatís ok. As far as the "lights"Ö. the case only has one lighted fan, and it can be turned off by a switch on top of the case!

Yeah, I loved the clean look of the Antec P182 myself, but it grew old and out dated for my needs. Incidentally, I passed on the Antec P193 because of aesthetics, to me that's one ugly looking front side on the P193.

But yes, to me, Corsairís 700D & 800D does look better than the HAF X, but for my needs, and wallet, it's too big and too expensive for what you get.

Example, the HAF X comes with two hot swappable bays built in. You can only get these on the 800D, and the 800D is like 249, whereas the HAF X is like 199. You also get two SATA 3 connections; neither the 700 nor 800D has them.

Anyways itís a moot point since the OP made up his mind on what to get, and a nice one I might add

I just wanted to make a point.

Peace

@ kylehimself, nice case


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Sep 2010   #22
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
1) Current Coolermaster Elite 335 was a cheap case and didn't offer much in the way of upgrading options.
Going with a nicer case, is a nice thing.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
3) I'm a bit of a clean freak and wanted all my cables well hidden.
I can certainly appreciate that.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
In all seriousness....that's a bit ridiculous . I can totally understand the desire to have some more room to work around...but honestly this just seems like way, way, way too much for the hardware that you have now and will likely have in the next few years.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
I had heard some bad reviews about the airflow in this case, however my idle and load temps have dropped. H50 had my CPU as low as 25C. I also have 5 Akasa Vipers coming. 3 for the top and 2 to replace on the H50 rad.
Any reason that you want the extra cooling? You certainly don't have a cooling problem. Adding those extra fans seems to be excessive simply for the point of being excessive.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
So I'm very happy. Yeah this case is HUGE. Maybe even complete overkill
Complete overkill is a great word for it. I'm happy that you are happy and I'm glad I got your directed towards a case that you really love. It's too bad they don't make a 1/2 size of that case with all of the same features because even that would have provided nearly limitless expandability.


With regards to the Antec P193...they need to lose that dumb think that sticks out on the left, it needs to be black on the inside and they need to put more holes through the motherboard tray and have a cut out for easily replacing CPU coolers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2010   #23
OneSerious

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
I didn't think they could make a case bigger than a CM HAF 932!
The height is about the same, well maybe, but yours is deeper, front to back by a couple of inches at least.

The HAF came with wheels but I think you may need a crane when you get everything upgraded.!

CM HAF 932 - 22.70" x 9.00" x 21.50"
Corsair 800D- 24.00" x 9.00" x 24.00"
You just had to go there and make everyone on this thread jealous!!!

Looks great! Enjoy!
Mike
I always knew it was big and I even got the tape measure out to check before it arrived, but you only get the real idea of how big it is when you see it.

The funny thing is, I wanted a "subtle" case and while the styling is as such, the sheer size is as subtle as a brick to the head! lol

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Just as you’re not into the "industrial" look remember that not everyone is into the conservative look either

As to the "industrial" look of the HAF X, I agree, it's not for everyone, but functionally, the case performs very well, especially if you're air cooling your components.

If you are not into the clear windows that’s ok. As far as the "lights"…. the case only has one lighted fan, and it can be turned off by a switch on top of the case!

Yeah, I loved the clean look of the Antec P182 myself, but it grew old and out dated for my needs. Incidentally, I passed on the Antec P193 because of aesthetics, to me that's one ugly looking front side on the P193.

But yes, to me, Corsair’s 700D & 800D does look better than the HAF X, but for my needs, and wallet, it's too big and too expensive for what you get.

Example, the HAF X comes with two hot swappable bays built in. You can only get these on the 800D, and the 800D is like 249, whereas the HAF X is like 199. You also get two SATA 3 connections; neither the 700 nor 800D has them.

Anyways it’s a moot point since the OP made up his mind on what to get, and a nice one I might add

I just wanted to make a point.

Peace

@ kylehimself, nice case
I can see where you're coming from mate. At the end of the day it's each to their own. Some people love the complete over the top and others like things a bit less oblivious.

As for the price though, I got it for £206 so not much more than the HAF X. Though most places I've seen it it has been £250 and some even as high as £280!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
In all seriousness....that's a bit ridiculous . I can totally understand the desire to have some more room to work around...but honestly this just seems like way, way, way too much for the hardware that you have now and will likely have in the next few years.
Oh no doubt. I will have the HD5870 by the lestest the end of November and as I said, I hope to have a 2nd by mid 2011. presuming the 6xxx series will have been announced and the 5's will have gone down in price. Should also be adding a few new HDD's in there too because my 500GB just isn't enough. Even at the 800D will never be filled... but sure. It's massive but it's not in the way so the size isn't an issue. Plus given that I got it for £200 odd and the size isn't a problem, I might as well get as much case for my money right?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Any reason that you want the extra cooling? You certainly don't have a cooling problem. Adding those extra fans seems to be excessive simply for the point of being excessive.
That is true, and from seeing my friends Vapour-X 5870 in action I know that when I pick mine up the temps will probably improve more without extra cooling but again, I've got the space, why not use it?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
I'm happy that you are happy and I'm glad I got your directed towards a case that you really love. It's too bad they don't make a 1/2 size of that case with all of the same features because even that would have provided nearly limitless expandability.
I'm happy, you're happy, I'm happy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Sep 2010   #24
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
I'm happy, you're happy, I'm happy
That's the bottom line

Peace
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2010   #25
OneSerious

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Peace
Good man yourself!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2010   #26
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
That is true, and from seeing my friends Vapour-X 5870 in action I know that when I pick mine up the temps will probably improve more without extra cooling but again, I've got the space, why not use it?
Reasons I can think of to not add unnecessary fans
#1). They cost money
#2). The add noise
#3). They will add more wiring to the case
#4). They consume more power
#5). They provide more annoying surface areas to gather dust.

Don't worry, if you don't agree with. I just wonder why so many people seem to feel a need to overcool...even when they realize it's not necessary, nor will provide any benefit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2010   #27
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

My vote and purchase was all for the Corsair 800D but when I found it discounted then the freight was an extra $80.00 and when full price free shipping couldn't find both which for the saving of over $150.00 had me go with the Thermaltake Element V Black Edition. It's a little small for a full tower but overall I can't see anyone complaining about that. No removable mobo tray but every thing else is spot on.
New case thoughts and recommendations.-hpim0933.jpg

New case thoughts and recommendations.-hpim0968.jpg

New case thoughts and recommendations.-hpim0994.jpg

New case thoughts and recommendations.-hpim1024.jpg

New case thoughts and recommendations.-hpim1029.jpg

New case thoughts and recommendations.-hpim1028.jpg

New case thoughts and recommendations.-hpim1031.jpg

New case thoughts and recommendations.-hpim0944.jpg

New case thoughts and recommendations.-hpim0939.jpg

I feel that the case is one of if not the most important choices if purchased correctly it will never need to be replaced and that reduces crap in our landfills.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #28
OneSerious

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
My vote and purchase was all for the Corsair 800D but when I found it discounted then the freight was an extra $80.00 and when full price free shipping couldn't find both which for the saving of over $150.00 had me go with the Thermaltake Element V Black Edition. It's a little small for a full tower but overall I can't see anyone complaining about that. No removable mobo tray but every thing else is spot on.
Nice pick up mate. How much did that cost you in the end?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
I feel that the case is one of if not the most important choices if purchased correctly it will never need to be replaced and that reduces crap in our landfills.
Too true, my old one will be going in to a new build for my mum who will likely use it for 10 years. Her current system is older! and the 800D isn't looking like it's going to need updated... Ever! It wont so long as the hardware doesn't drastically change.

I notice you have an SSD in there mate. Do you use it for the OS? If so, how is it? It's something I've wanted to do for while but not sure if it's worth the cash, even just for a small one for the OS alone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #29
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
I notice you have an SSD in there mate. Do you use it for the OS? If so, how is it? It's something I've wanted to do for while but not sure if it's worth the cash, even just for a small one for the OS alone.
I'll be honest, I've never encountered a single person who bought an SSD and later complained that it wasn't worth the cash. The only complaint I ever heard was, "why didn't I do this sooner".

I took the plunge a while back and went with the 80GB Intel for my box, just for the OS and my apps. By far, it was the single biggest upgrade that I have ever made on a computer. I just keep a 1TB WD Caviar Black in the box for downloads, music, and larger data files that I don't want sitting on the SSD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #30
OneSerious

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
I'll be honest, I've never encountered a single person who bought an SSD and later complained that it wasn't worth the cash. The only complaint I ever heard was, "why didn't I do this sooner".

I took the plunge a while back and went with the 80GB Intel for my box, just for the OS and my apps. By far, it was the single biggest upgrade that I have ever made on a computer. I just keep a 1TB WD Caviar Black in the box for downloads, music, and larger data files that I don't want sitting on the SSD.
I've not played around with configured HDD's or anything before, so this question might be a bit daft. I presume the 2nd drive you have just connected as normal via S-ATA but shows up in "My Computer"? Almost like an external HDD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New case thoughts and recommendations.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
A wooden computer case idea. What are your thoughts?
I was thinking that after I get a job I would make a wooden computer case. I am pretty good at wood working. I would make the side panel a wood door like you see on a cabinet. I was thinking of having 2 120mm front intake fans, 2 120mm side intake fan on the door, a 120mm rear exhaust fan, and a...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
The Case of the Missing Pillow Case
Please press play to set the right mood as you read. ;) NzlG28B-R8Y The Case of the Missing Pillow Case Today appeared to be a normal day just like any other. I had decided that I should strip the beds and wash the sheets from them since it had been a while and they were starting to...
Chillout Room
Laptop case recommendations
I'm hopefully going to buy the Asus G75VW-BBK5 and I wanted to see if anyone had a large rolling case that would fit this laptop. Thanks, -Rick
Chillout Room
VPN thoughts?
Hello all. as a security concious user i am considering a VPN service like this one https://www.ipredator.se/ (came highly recommended) You guys here seem much smarter than me and i would love to hear your thoughts, here are my reasons for considering this solution I live in the UK where...
System Security
Lian Li v1000z case - anyone have thoughts
I just told a guy I would buy this case from him for about half of what they cost on Newegg. And it's not even used. He took it out of the box a year ago and it's been in his garage ever since. I jumped on it. Looks VERY nice. Just the front panel has esata, firewire, 4 USB, etc. That's cool. ...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:04.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App