Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New build planned. Need general advice

16 Oct 2010   #21
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I came up with about 450W.

But wattage means very little overall.

The quality of the PSU, amperage on the 12V rail, and efficency are far more important.

Technically, a 450W Corsair will power this build without issue.
I think anything (of good quality) 550W-620W should be more than enough, even for additional expansion.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Oct 2010   #22
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

I have not comparison shopped lately, but I have never gone wrong with an ASUS motherboard. I find their support and documentation to be excellent.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #23
Lebon14

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
If you decide to have some on hand go with Arctic Silver5
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Quote:
I was also looking at the Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard :
Newegg.ca - ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

What do you think guys?
The mobo you list has the Realtec audio. This is not the one having all the audio problems.
This one uses Realtek ALC892 should be good alternative to Gagabyte.
Add the ASUS video card if you want same brand. All good choices.
Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/768MD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $175
Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTX460 DIRECTCU/G/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $240
Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $245

I bought the middle of these three. At the time the $245 wasn't available yet.
The $175 was $225 then.
Now I'd go with 1st one for pricing or 3rd for performance advantage.

My two cents.
Mike
For the thermal paste, I chose this one already. Thx for confirming. Also thx for the video card links... I changed the .com for .ca though. I chose the 3rd one it was a few bucks cheaper and seem to have nice specs too.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by amandeepmail View Post
Hi!
I will suggest you to get a small SSD for just windows and main programs. Small SSD will not be that costly and stil give a lot of performance boost. I prefer 64 GB just for Windows and main programs and rest you can upgrade later. Also, you can always use another SATA Hard Disk for your data if 64 GB doesn't fit it.
(Also applies for Wishmaster) I chose a 80GB HDD because currently on my 140GB partition on my 200GB HDD, I use ~75GB. I like to store files on my main HDD too. I don't want an Intel SSD because they seriously lack speed write wise (70MB/s for Intel compared to 275MB/s for G.Skill). I heard that Sandforce was AMAZING and that was my main reason why I chose a Sandforce base SSD.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
For the SSD, I would go with something like the 80GB Intel.
Its about $25 more expensive.

the 40GB ones are excellent performers as well, although slighhtly slower than the 80GB version. However, only around $100.
40GB is plenty of room for Win7 and apps for the most part, if you keep all other User DATA/Games etc on other drives.

The Gskill ones look like they have decent speeds and reviews, but from what im seeing it looks like the Intel may be slightly faster for the OS.

For the record, I only know what Ive read and benchmarks Ive seen on those Gskill SSDs.

If you already have Spinners for user DATA that would be a great setup.

And as mentioned, to save a bit of extra cash, you may want to consider a P55 board (Socket 1156)

You will only have dual channel DDR3, but overall should still be a solid build.
I don't think it's worth it for only slightly faster Also, I wanted a triple-channel build since the Core i7 9xx was released. I was simply amazed by the performance it gave. I also want a build that could last me as long as this one (3-4 years). So, at least if something happens IRL, I'm still getting LGA1377 mobo & cpu.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
That build will need about peak at about 500 watts at 100% system load (which is when a PSU is most likely to fail) while it's new.. As the components age, it will draw more and more power. 2-3 years down the road you may be looking at closer to 600 watts .. add 50% to that to have room for future expansion, and because a psu that doesn't have to work very hard is going to last longer and produce less heat
What you say here is making sense. However, I'm not someone that will use my CPU and GPU at 100% a lot of the time.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
I came up with about 450W.

But wattage means very little overall.

The quality of the PSU, amperage on the 12V rail, and efficency are far more important.

Technically, a 450W Corsair will power this build without issue.
I think anything (of good quality) 550W-620W should be more than enough, even for additional expansion.
Thanks for this very helpful post
I chose this Corsair PSU because of the certification and all those good reviews about it and also because it's modular. I also went on eXtreme Power Supply calculator and, with a 30% capacitor aging setting and 100% load, I end up with 567W. On a new one (no aging capacitor setting), I have a 436W result. So, I think I'm pretty good with this 620W.

Thanks a lot for all the input guys. It makes me think each time I read your comments!

Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Oct 2010   #24
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Keep in mind, The Intel SSDs are faster at Random Read/Writes although seem slower in Seqential.

However, random is where it matters most for the OS.


Either one you choose will be a huge improvement over a standard spinning drive, no doubt.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #25
Lebon14

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Thx Wishmaster. Also, I decided not to choose the Sabertooth X58 because how extension slots are laid out. I have a PCI card to add and well, on the Sabertooth, the video card will block it up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #26
madtownidiot

 

every system reaches 100% load occasionally.. even if you only use it for checking email and watching youtube videos
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #27
Lebon14

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
every system reaches 100% load occasionally.. even if you only use it for checking email and watching youtube videos
Duh, yes, you are right. But I meant 100% for a longer period of time. :P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #28
madtownidiot

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lebon14 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
every system reaches 100% load occasionally.. even if you only use it for checking email and watching youtube videos
Duh, yes, you are right. But I meant 100% for a longer period of time. :P
I know what you mean.. but it only takes a fraction of a second of insufficient power to cause a BSOD. A lot of people who start getting occasional BSODs a couple years after they build their system don't know that while their PSU may have been adequate when the build was new, over time power consuption increases by as much as 25-30%, even if nothing is added to the system, and never think of the power supply as a cause. That's why you should add at least 50% to whatever you figure the max power consumption should be
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #29
Lebon14

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
I know what you mean.. but it only takes a fraction of a second of insufficient power to cause a BSOD. A lot of people who start getting occasional BSODs a couple years after they build their system don't know that while their PSU may have been adequate when the build was new, over time power consuption increases by as much as 25-30%, even if nothing is added to the system, and never think of the power supply as a cause. That's why you should add at least 50% to whatever you figure the max power consumption should be
Like I said once above, I went to eXtreme Power Supply Calculator and added a 30% aging capacitor and gave me 607W recommanded. And even at 50%, eXtreme Power Calculator gives me the same results : a recommanded 607 Watt.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #30
madtownidiot

 

Do what you think will work then. Sounds like it will be a good machine.. and they're always fun to build
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New build planned. Need general advice




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
General PC maintenance advice
Hello all, I recently uninstalled an Adobe program that completely messed up my computer (was no longer able to un/install programs, lost control of volume, services, ability to detect wireless networks, etc). Long story short, I had to restore PC to factory settings which wasn't easy (install...
Performance & Maintenance
New build need advice
What are your thoughts on this build, have I forgot anything or should I change something please let me know. I know I haven't listed a video card that will be later and I also have not listed OS I have a copy of Windows 8 Pro(it's for my wife anyway :)) but I'm still debating I might put Windows...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Looking for advice on my new build
I am currently in the process of getting the parts together for my new gaming rig and I'm looking for some input. So far I have purchased a Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD for my OS & apps, an EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB GPU and G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB 1866 RAM. The items that I'm planning...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Advice on First and New build
I was wanting anyone's opinion this build, this build will be used for gaming like Aion online and Multimedia like Adobe after effects, what do you guys think? This is a budget build for school and minor gaming keep in mind. Any Suggestions??:p BIOSTAR TA870+ Newegg.com - Open Box: BIOSTAR...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Advice for first CP Build
I am looking to build my first computer and would appreciate anyone looking over what ive got so far and at least telling me everything should work well together. I am stuck on a case. Not sure what case to get. If anyone can help me pick out a suitable one, id appreciate it. What I plan to...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:31.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App