Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cars have ignition keys...why can't computers?

20 Apr 2011   #21
xarden

Windows 7 Enterprise
 
 

Looking forward to it


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Apr 2011   #22
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Why don't you go all the way and get the Mercedes key switch with rf fob. This way all you need to do is have the fob in the room and the computer would start with a button and if the fob is removed it won't, should only cost a couple of grand through the MB dealer if I understand their parts mark up !
Hi there

these type of keys are a real nuisance -- battery fails or receiver in the car fails and you are 100% hosed up. Even your average decent Mercedes dealer can't fix these and short of breaking a window and climbing in that way there is NO way to force the door open.

The new ones can even detect whether you are "DUI" and wont let you start the engine. However if YOU are OK but a colleague with you has had "One too many" the detector still wont let the engine start - it doesn't know WHO is the driver - it just detects the Alcohol.

Think a case of "Too Much technology".

Back to the point however -

Some computers can be fitted with Thumb or finger print detectors for example secure machines for CIA personnel etc etc.

Smart card operation has also been around for "Donkeys Years".

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2011   #23
Nigsy

openSUSE 13.1 64bit
 
 

Just reading this thread loving the ignition key idea!!

How about:
Pos 1 - Monitor and peripherals start
Pos 2 - PC fires up
Pos 3 - Switch off or restart


Also the Mercedes scenario for DUI no good for a PC, how many of us have been drunk in charge of a keyboard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Apr 2011   #24
DrToxic

Micro$oft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Why don't you go all the way and get the Mercedes key switch with rf fob. This way all you need to do is have the fob in the room and the computer would start with a button and if the fob is removed it won't, should only cost a couple of grand through the MB dealer if I understand their parts mark up !
Hi there

these type of keys are a real nuisance -- battery fails or receiver in the car fails and you are 100% hosed up. Even your average decent Mercedes dealer can't fix these and short of breaking a window and climbing in that way there is NO way to force the door open.

The new ones can even detect whether you are "DUI" and wont let you start the engine. However if YOU are OK but a colleague with you has had "One too many" the detector still wont let the engine start - it doesn't know WHO is the driver - it just detects the Alcohol.

Think a case of "Too Much technology".

Back to the point however -

Some computers can be fitted with Thumb or finger print detectors for example secure machines for CIA personnel etc etc.

Smart card operation has also been around for "Donkeys Years".

Cheers
jimbo
Clever idea, bad results. I definitely wont be fitting my PC with a DUI sensor... xD I love a drink while i game.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nigsy View Post
Just reading this thread loving the ignition key idea!!

How about:
Pos 1 - Monitor and peripherals start
Pos 2 - PC fires up
Pos 3 - Switch off or restart


Also the Mercedes scenario for DUI no good for a PC, how many of us have been drunk in charge of a keyboard.
Nice idea with the keys, but I want Pos.3 as start
also, it isn't illegal to be DuI of a Keyboard...(yet...)


anybody know how to fire up a monitor without passing 250v through the ignition system?

EDIT
off topic, i know...

I know this is off topic, but I finished Portal 2 this morning. by the look of the ending, portal 3 will not come to existance.. exhilarating though

might implement portal into my build some how...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2011   #25
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Maybe I should go into the zip lock baggie sales business at all the exclusive "richie rich bars" so patrons can get themselves home! Just zip up the keys in the baggie and it can't sniff you out so to speak. Now if only technology could find you a clean working bathroom while driving on the road.......talk about "sniff this" ! lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2011   #26
DrToxic

Micro$oft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Maybe I should go into the zip lock baggie sales business at all the exclusive "richie rich bars" so patrons can get themselves home! Just zip up the keys in the baggie and it can't sniff you out so to speak. Now if only technology could find you a clean working bathroom while driving on the road.......talk about "sniff this" ! lol
HAHAAA!!! That IS naughty, but i like the idea... surely a re-sealable bag would do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2011   #27
xarden

Windows 7 Enterprise
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DrToxic View Post
anybody know how to fire up a monitor without passing 250v through the ignition system?
Use a relay. Only requires 12v to switch. Recommended if using any voltages above 48v, just to be on the safe side
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2011   #28
DrToxic

Micro$oft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xarden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DrToxic View Post
anybody know how to fire up a monitor without passing 250v through the ignition system?
Use a relay. Only requires 12v to switch. Recommended if using any voltages above 48v, just to be on the safe side
im concidering unsoldering the buttons and putting extension wire in so the buttons go behind the monitors, down the back of the desk and on to the front of the PC case (aprox. 2 meters away!!) of course, i would have to leave the button there for show, but have the "Clicky bit" on the front of my pc and make a switchboard? xD

im not only going to have a keyswitch here..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2011   #29
xarden

Windows 7 Enterprise
 
 

That would be even better. How many monitors are you running? If more than one, it might pay to have them switched together at the monitors end.

Going a few posts back about the green wire, it needs to be grounded (shorted to a black wire) to enable the PSU to switch on. Breaking the connection will power off.
So bear this in mind if anyone is looking at doing that, and also remember to shut down your PC before you shutdown the PSU!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cars have ignition keys...why can't computers?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
forums, cars
Anybody know of a forum similar to this one but about vehicles?
Chillout Room
Ignition based on/off for touch screen in vehicle
I am installing a touch screen into a vehicle and want to be able to have it power on and off with the vehicle. The environment/hurdles are as follows: It's in the back seat, so the driver can not just shut it down easily I know I can have it turn on when power is restored, but don't want to...
Hardware & Devices
Automotive 7 For Cars
More - Automotive 7 For Cars | Windows 7 News
Chillout Room
Beautiful Pre 2nd war cars
Real Rolling Iron
Chillout Room
Warning! Do not log in to Cars.gov!
Disregard. Its gone.
Chillout Room
Laser Ignition May Replace the Spark Plug
Following collaborative work with Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) and GSI Group (Rugby, England), engineers at The University of Liverpool (England) have reported encouraging results in their quest for laser ignition (LI) in automobile engines. The approach offers the potential to address both...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App