Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cars have ignition keys...why can't computers?

16 Apr 2011   #1
DrToxic

Micro$oft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Cars have ignition keys...why can't computers?

ok, so I have wanted to make a wooden case for my computer for quite a while. i might get the stuff in and do it...

what i was thinking was to get two more power supplies in (yes, a PC with THREE power supplies) and get it starting up on an ignition chamber (thats found in cars).



am I mad? should I do it?

EDIT

Maybe I could get a board expert to make me a board that can make a "dash board" for it, to monitor fan speeds and stuff (using RPM counters and the leds)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Apr 2011   #2
johnwillyums

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Sounds like it might look cool. Be better if you had a car starting sound to play
Why would you need three PSUs though?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2011   #3
DrToxic

Micro$oft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnwillyums View Post
Sounds like it might look cool. Be better if you had a car starting sound to play
Why would you need three PSUs though?
car sound would be good, but im going to use a USB project board that runs after windows has logged in.

Three PSU's : one for the motherboard, one for extras, one for even more extras. purely because I have three ignition starter points. (I, II, START)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Apr 2011   #4
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Cars are moving away from keys and ignition cylinders. RF Transponders in keyfobs and a start button are going to be the future.

3 PSU's will be a waste and more problems than you think.
Even though the ignition has 3 steps, only the first two are constant, while the 3rd, the starter engage is a momentary style switch. It's only enableb as long as you keep the key turned.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2011   #5
DrToxic

Micro$oft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Cars are moving away from keys and ignition cylinders. RF Transponders in keyfobs and a start button are going to be the future.

3 PSU's will be a waste and more problems than you think.
Even though the ignition has 3 steps, only the first two are constant, while the 3rd, the starter engage is a momentary style switch. It's only enableb as long as you keep the key turned.
True...


a waste, i will agree.. but I'm cool like that. the 3rd will be the one thats connected to the motherboard anyway. the momentary part of the switch will be hooked to the motherboards "Power" pins to fire the motherboard up...hence firing up the third power supply.


the first and second PSU's will be to take the load of extras like gpus, HDD's, DVD's, "sextras" (extras to make it look sexy)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2011   #6
Maxwell

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I love the idea, but I also think three psu's are excessive.. If it were me, I would do it fancy like point 1 turns on my monitors and speakers etc, point 2 turns on my computer fans, and point 3 turns on the actual computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2011   #7
DrToxic

Micro$oft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
I love the idea, but I also think three psu's are excessive.. If it were me, I would do it fancy like point 1 turns on my monitors and speakers etc, point 2 turns on my computer fans, and point 3 turns on the actual computer.
I like this idea...but it will require putting 250v through the keychamber...which I dont think is very healthy... seen as the chamber is designed for 12v (24 for trucks/lorries)

Edit

done a bit of research, and I came up with two projects for monitoring system stats with gauges, both very plausable due to having many usb ports and audio out ports.

Monitor with AUDIO
Monitor with USB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2011   #8
jeepmann4x4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DrToxic View Post
ok, so I have wanted to make a wooden case for my computer for quite a while. i might get the stuff in and do it...

what i was thinking was to get two more power supplies in (yes, a PC with THREE power supplies) and get it starting up on an ignition chamber (thats found in cars).



am I mad? should I do it?

EDIT

Maybe I could get a board expert to make me a board that can make a "dash board" for it, to monitor fan speeds and stuff (using RPM counters and the leds)

Check this Thread by Lordbob75 https://www.sevenforums.com/overclock...ob-wiring.html He made/used a Key start switch in his build
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2011   #9
xarden

Windows 7 Enterprise
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DrToxic View Post

I like this idea...but it will require putting 250v through the keychamber...which I dont think is very healthy... seen as the chamber is designed for 12v (24 for trucks/lorries)
The green wire!

Thats what turns the PSU on and off.
Look it up.

Like Zepher said, cars are moving away from keys. Just so happens I've made a USB key to start my car.
Its nifty.
I can probably mod it for a PC too, I guess. So it will only turn on when you plug in this usb key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2011   #10
Lava King

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I like this idea, too, and you've put a thought into my head...

In the days before ATX power supplies, most computer cases had a keyboard lock. It was usually a chrome switch with a key right on the front of the case.

I'm going to put an ATX board and power supply in an old case and attach the keyboard lock to the power switch input on the board so that turning the key will turn on the system. The big, obvious power switch on the front panel won't be connected to anything so hilarity will ensue when anyone tries to turn it on.

Kent
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cars have ignition keys...why can't computers?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
forums, cars
Anybody know of a forum similar to this one but about vehicles?
Chillout Room
Ignition based on/off for touch screen in vehicle
I am installing a touch screen into a vehicle and want to be able to have it power on and off with the vehicle. The environment/hurdles are as follows: It's in the back seat, so the driver can not just shut it down easily I know I can have it turn on when power is restored, but don't want to...
Hardware & Devices
Automotive 7 For Cars
More - Automotive 7 For Cars | Windows 7 News
Chillout Room
Beautiful Pre 2nd war cars
Real Rolling Iron
Chillout Room
Warning! Do not log in to Cars.gov!
Disregard. Its gone.
Chillout Room
Laser Ignition May Replace the Spark Plug
Following collaborative work with Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) and GSI Group (Rugby, England), engineers at The University of Liverpool (England) have reported encouraging results in their quest for laser ignition (LI) in automobile engines. The approach offers the potential to address both...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:21.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App