Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New Build Spec For Back Up's only

14 May 2011   #11
BomberAF

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TCG View Post
Why would that not allow you to do what you want? It's a raw hardware platform fully ready for any operating system and storage setup that you choose to throw at it. I don't understand.
It wouldn't allow me to use it to upload files from, and should I ever lose my laptop I would then be unable to access my files etc.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 May 2011   #12
BomberAF

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BomberAF View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TCG View Post
I just picked up one of these recently and so far it's great!! 4 drive bays + if you decide not to put in a CD/DVD drive you can put a 5th up top for your OS, and use your 4 for a nice RAID or JBOD if you wanted.
I need a file server that will allow me to upload any files to online storage, what you have there unfortunatly wont allow me to do that, although it would be much cheaper.
How much data are you talking about? Do you have an online provider that you really really trust with your data?
There isn't huge amounts of data, but over the course of time the data will accumulate.

I think all online data sites are pretty trustworthy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #13
TCG

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BomberAF View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TCG View Post
Why would that not allow you to do what you want? It's a raw hardware platform fully ready for any operating system and storage setup that you choose to throw at it. I don't understand.
It wouldn't allow me to use it to upload files from, and should I ever lose my laptop I would then be unable to access my files etc.
That makes absolutely no sense at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 May 2011   #14
BomberAF

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TCG View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BomberAF View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TCG View Post
Why would that not allow you to do what you want? It's a raw hardware platform fully ready for any operating system and storage setup that you choose to throw at it. I don't understand.
It wouldn't allow me to use it to upload files from, and should I ever lose my laptop I would then be unable to access my files etc.
That makes absolutely no sense at all.
It will not allow me to install online storage software which would enable it to automatically upload any files that have been stored on it. I am not just looking for an external hard drive I am looking for a file server.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #15
TCG

 
 

It is a file server, take another look at the specs. You can put whatever software including operating system onto it that you desire. It's surely no different than building a storage server yourself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #16
BomberAF

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TCG View Post
It is a file server, take another look at the specs. You can put whatever software including operating system onto it that you desire. It's surely no different than building a storage server yourself.
I am mistaken when I looked I think I may have mistaken it for one of those external cases that you just add your own hdd's to. That looks ideal thanks for that.

Can you then set up all the HDD's in the way I said?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #17
BomberAF

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TCG View Post
It is a file server, take another look at the specs. You can put whatever software including operating system onto it that you desire. It's surely no different than building a storage server yourself.
Just looked at that properly and it does look like exactly what I need, just a few question though if you dont mind.

Does it have an OS installed, and can you connect it wirelessly to the internet. How secure is it from people getting access to it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #18
DalekOverSeer

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BomberAF View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Probably an Atom based machine with 2 2TB drives in Raid 1 would be fine for your needs.
How much DATA do you think you will need to backup in the next 24 months?
It isn't going to be a great deal, but I was thinking about maybe 3* 2TB HDD's. One for a direct daily backup from my laptop, one to do weekly backups of the daily backups, and one to do monthly backups of the weekly backup. 2TB is way more than I will need, but it will mean I can keep everything I back up as it will always be handy to keep hold of, and it will also mean that I should not exceed my my back up limits.

Regarding RAID though, I have heard that it is very unstable and you are prone to losing data as a result so was just planning on having 3 separate HDD's set up as I said above.
ok since you want to do redundant back ups, i would add an external esata drive for the monthly backups. once the monthly backups are done, shut the external dock off, remove the hdd, and lock it in the trunk of your car, in a storage shed if you have one, etc... the you eliminate the need for online storage and protect it from anything that might happen to your home and or system. personally i'm not about to trust any of those sites with my files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #19
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BomberAF View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BomberAF View Post

I need a file server that will allow me to upload any files to online storage, what you have there unfortunatly wont allow me to do that, although it would be much cheaper.
How much data are you talking about? Do you have an online provider that you really really trust with your data?
There isn't huge amounts of data, but over the course of time the data will accumulate.

I think all online data sites are pretty trustworthy
No they aren't. And they go out of business. And some can't restore your data. But good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #20
BomberAF

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BomberAF View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post

How much data are you talking about? Do you have an online provider that you really really trust with your data?
There isn't huge amounts of data, but over the course of time the data will accumulate.

I think all online data sites are pretty trustworthy
No they aren't. And they go out of business. And some can't restore your data. But good luck.

I will go with one such as Dell's, they should still be able to restore your data in such an event
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New Build Spec For Back Up's only




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Help with ram and spec review, thanks
http://s23.postimg.org/h6ck9mit7/spec_1.png http://s24.postimg.org/obv4kld51/spec_2.png Here are my complete computer specs. I am looking to improve my ram by adding another 4 GB so can someone help me find a good deal on that? or if there's a good for ram bigger than 4GB, let me know about...
Hardware & Devices
Spec for new PC
My old PC has died:cry: The mobo and CPU are kaput so it is time to bite the bullet and invest in new. Below is the spec I intend to purchase. Cost will be just under £700. I think it looks good value, what do others think? Case COOLERMASTER ELITE 311 BLUE CASE Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7...
Chillout Room
Could someone help me spec a build please?
Hi Posting on behalf of a friend who asked me for advice on speccing a build he wants for video editing etc About the computer upgrade.. This is where you might be able to help me. My bro hasn't ordered anything yet as he said that Motherboard etc was just a suggestion of what he thought i...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
New PC Spec
HI Friends , My friend need help to build PC he gave me a spec GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H AMD 785G Motherboard Phenom X4-9500 @ 3GHZ 2 GB DDR 3 transcend 500 GB SEAGATE I need some suggestions to improve this or is this spec good
Hardware & Devices
Linuzo is back with Build 6956
Hey Everyone, I was able to obtain a copy of the new build and I admit the 6801 installer was confusing at first. However it is preinstalled with the new toolbar and newer patches as I have noticed in the windows folder. I went back to linux for a bit until I saw this new version of Windows 7...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App