Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Post Your Overclock!

12 Feb 2012   #1251
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post

You could always grab the PRO version to save few dollars unless you really want the USB 3.0 adapter. Otherwise there's no difference between the Pro and Deluxe version.
According to the specs at ASUS:

The V Pro has integrated graphics the Deluxe doesn't. The deluxe has two eSATA, one is powered, the pro has one unpowered eSATA. The Deluxe has two Gbit NICs. The Deluxe has a different (and I believe better?) audio codec. The Deluxe has a back-panel 1394 as well as mid-board; the pro has two mid-board, no back panel. The deluxe has NEC USB3.0, the pro ASMedia. The deluxe has 2 more rear USB2.0 + some other stuff. The Deluxe has a front-panel USB 3.0 box, the pro a rear panel USB3.0 bracket. The pro has two CPU fan headers, the deluxe one. You can do a feature comparison at the ASUS website.

Aside from that it looks like the basic BIOS and power and overclocking ability are identical.

You can get the USB FP box for $30 from ASUS and use it on the pro instead of the back bracket.

I have a door on the front of my PC, already have a USB 3.0 hub, and have a decent PCI-e eSATA card for a second eSATA, so the Pro fit my needs well.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Feb 2012   #1252
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

That's about it from what I saw except for the Deluxe's Dr. Debug led, which I have on this board and have never used. I'm not sure how useful that is. I think the V Pro has all the features to suit me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2012   #1253
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

I should have mine updated sometime this week. I have already gutted the PC, cleaned up th cabling and rerouted for different MB connection points. Will report back, prob on the weekend, once I have it up and going for a few days.

Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Feb 2012   #1254
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
I should have mine updated sometime this week. I have already gutted the PC, cleaned up th cabling and rerouted for different MB connection points. Will report back, prob on the weekend, once I have it up and going for a few days.

Cheers
That's great news. Please do report back, with plenty of pictures too. It helps my addiction when I'm not building.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2012   #1255
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post

According to the specs at ASUS:

The V Pro has integrated graphics the Deluxe doesn't. The deluxe has two eSATA, one is powered, the pro has one unpowered eSATA. The Deluxe has two Gbit NICs. The Deluxe has a different (and I believe better?) audio codec. The Deluxe has a back-panel 1394 as well as mid-board; the pro has two mid-board, no back panel. The deluxe has NEC USB3.0, the pro ASMedia. The deluxe has 2 more rear USB2.0 + some other stuff. The Deluxe has a front-panel USB 3.0 box, the pro a rear panel USB3.0 bracket. The pro has two CPU fan headers, the deluxe one. You can do a feature comparison at the ASUS website.

That too...

I probably should have refreshed myself a little on the differences between the two before claiming 'they're the same'



*

Gone back to 4.6ghz now.

I was BSODing a bit at idle as the powerstate transitions were occurring and was being tripped up by lack of vcore under low load/spikes. I'm not really in the mood for fine tuning and my curiosity is satisfied. For now


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post

First thing I noticed was he gives some specific reasons for the 0x124 bug check code. From what I've found that is kind of a generic hardware fault code which may be hardware related...or not.
x124's are generic h/w faults, but when overclocking it's a pretty safe assumption that it's usually vcore causing the shenanigans.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2012   #1256
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post

According to the specs at ASUS:

The V Pro has integrated graphics the Deluxe doesn't. The deluxe has two eSATA, one is powered, the pro has one unpowered eSATA. The Deluxe has two Gbit NICs. The Deluxe has a different (and I believe better?) audio codec. The Deluxe has a back-panel 1394 as well as mid-board; the pro has two mid-board, no back panel. The deluxe has NEC USB3.0, the pro ASMedia. The deluxe has 2 more rear USB2.0 + some other stuff. The Deluxe has a front-panel USB 3.0 box, the pro a rear panel USB3.0 bracket. The pro has two CPU fan headers, the deluxe one. You can do a feature comparison at the ASUS website.

That too...

I probably should have refreshed myself a little on the differences between the two before claiming 'they're the same'



*

Gone back to 4.6ghz now.

I was BSODing a bit at idle as the powerstate transitions were occurring and was being tripped up by lack of vcore under low load/spikes. I'm not really in the mood for fine tuning and my curiosity is satisfied. For now


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post

First thing I noticed was he gives some specific reasons for the 0x124 bug check code. From what I've found that is kind of a generic hardware fault code which may be hardware related...or not.
x124's are generic h/w faults, but when overclocking it's a pretty safe assumption that it's usually vcore causing the shenanigans.
Well in the important areas they are the same, it is just some differences in supported peripherals that might make a difference to some people. Even though the Deluxe doesn't have on board graphics output, I guess virtu sill works so you can use the iGPU Quick Sync capabilities for transcoding. I will set my PRO up to use the discrete graphics port with a switch to igpu for transcoding apps if I ever use that

For the previous generation, I think x124 was most often Vtt out of range. Now with these I have read (just this afternoon actually) that a common cause is the enabling of the C report states at idle:

Solving / Fixing BSOD 124 on sandybridge. READ OP FIRST!!

I think I may set mine up along the lines of my current overclock: speedstep off, all c states disabled except for C1e.

How to you have your power savings/management set uo?

Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2012   #1257
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
I think I may set mine up along the lines of my current overclock: speedstep off, all c states disabled except for C1e.

How to you have your power savings/management set uo?

Cheers
I've left Speedstep/EIST On and all the C-States on default to keep the power savings intact. Essentially using the opposite of previous gen's settings.

Up to a point, SB is very accommodating with leaving all the powersaving features enabled. Depending on the clock speed you're going for, I'd start with them enabled. It scales quite well with it enabled. I haven't noticed any adverse affect on my SSD performance either.

At 4.6ghz I have all power saving on and the LLC set to regular (0% - basically off, full intel spec)





At 4.8ghz I had to set the LLC to 75%, which may be part of the idle state BSOD's. LLC and offset really do start to mess with each other at higher clocks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2012   #1258
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

I disabled C3 and C6 like the link said. My Vcore went way up. I had to work on it a while to get it back right, but it seems to run good at a slightly lower Vcore. I'm just going to try it for a while, but may go back--- Once I feel like fiddling with the Vcore settings again. But, I did leave EIST on. from what I remember reading somewhere on the overclockers forum, you have to turn off turbo too to keep Speedstep from working.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2012   #1259
Kipper

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I think Kip liked it:

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe MB Review

A Guy

Excellent board, never really got a chance to play with it that long. The X79 boards started arriving so I needed the bench for the new stuff.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2012   #1260
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I think Kip liked it:

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe MB Review

A Guy

Excellent board, never really got a chance to play with it that long. The X79 boards started arriving so I needed the bench for the new stuff.

I read your article. That's when I started my scheme to try and buy one. I'm having trouble convincing my Wife I really need one. But, that's never stopped me before. She'll get over it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 Post Your Overclock!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Post Your Overclock! [2]
Continued from - https://www.sevenforums.com/overclocking-case-mods/2309-post-your-overclock.html Finally hit 5GHz on air!
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
HELP ME i HAVE NEVER OVERCLOCK TELL ME HOW
Hello Sevenforums,I would like some other opinions on this subject please. Latley there have been many post showing up from people who have NEVER overclocked there processor wanting someone to give them step by step instructions to achieve this gole. I fully understand the excitment because it...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Help me overclock!!
Hey, I'm trying to overclock my Computer in order to play Battlefield 3 at ultrahigh setting flawlessly, I barely got any overclocking experience, and when i overclock to 3.6ghz my computer crashed and turned off while playing battlefield 3. Apparently they told me i didnt overclock right and it...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Could you help me overclock my cpu?
Hi guys. Before we start, i would like to thank you for your time and help :) So my system is: CPU - Intel Pentium 4 1.6a(northwood) FREQUENCY-1.6ghz; L2-CACHE-512kb; FRONT_SIDE_BUS-400 MT/s; MULTIPLIER-16x; VOLTAGE-1.475V; SOCKET-478 RAM - Kingston 2x512mb(total 1gb) DDR (one of them i think...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
overclock
i have a geforce 880GTX graphics card i overclocked the core clock from 592 mhz to 632mhz memory clock 921mhz to 1053 mhz i am wanting to know how can i know if overclocking it to this is ok is there any signs that tell you you've overclocked too much
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:44.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App